Is it racist to say "black person"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like saying 'person' makes it kinda racist. Not sure why, but saying, "oh he's black," sounds perfectly acceptable to me. yet saying, "oh he's a black person," immediately sounds wrong.

FanmadeEndings

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If it is said to discriminate said person based on his / her skin color, yes. If you, for example, wanted to specify to someone else who you are talking about out of a group of people he barely knows and the most obvious detail that fits that specific person is his different skin color, then no. You can't be "racist on accident". Words aren't racist, people are. It depends on what you want to express rather then what you say.

Frankbel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
in italian it would be "n**** di merda" but also n**** has a racist taste.
Some words become politically correct:
handicapped--> having an handicap--> disabled --> having a disability --> less abled --> different abled,
and maybe in the future there will be another term to denote the handicapped subset of the population
Let me say, perhaps one day black person will negatively denote the people with darker skin.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've been told you're supposed to say "People of Color" and never "Colored People".
People don't seem to be mind being called "Black" , but sometimes it's not possible to tell someone's ethnicity (technically you're just assuming if they don't tell you really) so saying Black might be wrong.
To be honest it hasn't come up in a conversation I've had except talking Tom Hanks (I think it was Tom Hanks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool