Is it realistically possible for BotW to run at 60fps on Mariko Switches?

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please bring this argument to retronx so that CTCaer can rip you to shreds
I mean I'm literally asking for it right now, why anyone can't show me is a different question. I WANT to know the details, yet everyone clearly is holding back. The fact that people have to rely on others means it's just parroting rather than learning atm.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's just parroting rather than learning atm.
its rather sad when a misinformed parrot claims parroting. I told you where to get the proper info you want but be prepared to be made to look like an extreme idiot CTCaer is one of the most knowledgeable people in the community . little spoiler HOS does not throttle among other things

Last edited by deathblade200,

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im asking why cant you tell me yourself? why does it have to go through another person. IDK why you think I'm parroting myself. I'm not parroting other peoples experience (with both the switch as well as the shield tv) but my own. I'm not advocating people should overclock erista to ridiculous levels, rather just that its possible at the SOC level. If this is easily public info, you should easily have a written out source of information. this kind of stuff should be public else you litterally have threads like this where theres two sides where it's okay and its not okay.

You're currently feeding to the problem. I'm not saying that CTCaer doesn't know what they're doing, but it helps that if you say its a bad idea, to have the reasoning in public, rather then just telling people, which tells other people. this whole debate could easily be ended if the information is up front and in public.

edit: the fact that I had to deep dive just for a simple image to explain it

https://gbatemp.net/attachments/smartselect_20211109-162715-jpg.283935/

thats literally all anyone had to do. easily could have said its due to the voltage drop on the battery, which is why it doesn't affect the shield tv (because it doesn't have a battery). It has nothing to do with android OS at all(as one user implied.) See how people not knowing why makes up random information come out thats unrelated to the actual reason why you don't clock it higher.

Last edited by GBADWB,

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im asking why cant you tell me yourself? why does it have to go through another person. IDK why you think I'm parroting myself. I'm not parroting other peoples experience (with both the switch as well as the shield tv) but my own. I'm not advocating people should overclock erista to ridiculous levels, rather just that its possible at the SOC level. If this is easily public info, you should easily have a written out source of information. this kind of stuff should be public else you litterally have threads like this where theres two sides where it's okay and its not okay.

You're currently feeding to the problem. I'm not saying that CTCaer doesn't know what they're doing, but it helps that if you say its a bad idea, to have the reasoning in public, rather then just telling people, which tells other people. this whole debate could easily be ended if the information is up front and in public.

edit: the fact that I had to deep dive just for a simple image to explain it

https://gbatemp.net/attachments/smartselect_20211109-162715-jpg.283935/

thats literally all anyone had to do. easily could have said its due to the voltage drop on the battery, which is why it doesn't affect the shield tv (because it doesn't have a battery). It has nothing to do with android OS at all(as one user implied.) See how people not knowing why makes up random information come out thats unrelated to the actual reason why you don't clock it higher.
the info has been posted time and time again but people never listen and people continue to make their own asinine conclusions based on what they do with other devices and other OS kinda like you just did at the end. throttling is indeed part of the issue and the battery isn't the only issue

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the info has been posted time and time again but people never listen and people continue to make their own asinine conclusions based on what they do with other devices and other OS kinda like you just did at the end. throttling is indeed part of the issue and the battery isn't the only issue
because I only just saw that post. What this does do is invalidate the idea that its not the SOC, as one of the peopel who replied to me said it was a different SOC thats beign used on the switch compared to the Shield TV 2015/2017 (when it really isn't). The power delivery is the main difference. Someone outright lied about it being a different CPU, when its the same CPU else all the exploits would be different between the devices when it pertains to the hardware level exploit specific to the 20nm X1's design.

Throttling is an issue dependent on the environment and how its tested, and what kind of load there is (which makes it many factors). The battery is the larger reason why it wouldn't work.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the irony of this statement when someone calls me out for it is that the my shield is the 2017 model, which is the X1, the X1+ has no bearing to the overclocked shield tv. What makes the SOC not equivalent. I have still yet have someone point out what part of the circuit would not allow for it.

I do see the idea that the other user points out on how the OS is designed to throttle when necessary, which is possible, however there exists Posts like this which seems to indicate that the switch does throttle (as any device normally should) soI haven't seen any real hard evidence that while under docked situations (would never run overclocked on battery) that it is a problem.

For reference, the fact that the SOC is the same is the reason why the switch, and other devices using tegra X1 were exploitable in the first place. (e.g pixel C, Shield TV)
Horizon (Switch OS) does not throttle, the clocks are set until a game changes them, or you hit the temperature shutoff.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because I only just saw that post. What this does do is invalidate the idea that its not the SOC, as one of the peopel who replied to me said it was a different SOC thats beign used on the switch compared to the Shield TV 2015/2017 (when it really isn't). The power delivery is the main difference. Someone outright lied about it being a different CPU, when its the same CPU else all the exploits would be different between the devices when it pertains to the hardware level exploit specific to the 20nm X1's design.

Throttling is an issue dependent on the environment and how its tested, and what kind of load there is (which makes it many factors). The battery is the larger reason why it wouldn't work.
The soc in the shield are not equivalent to the soc in the switch. It has a lower speedo value that is lower quality and requires more power.

Last edited by Anxiety_timmy,

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The soc in the shield are not equivalent to the soc in the switch. It has a lower speedo value that is lower quality and requires more power.
having a different base clock isn't a different SOC. SOC's are designed with configurable clocks and power levels based on Board partners use...

take any device on the market, say a phone with a generic snapdragaon. Just because one phone manufacturer decides to clock is 5mhz less than the other using a different battery doesn't change the fact that that SOC is the same SOC at all

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway the worse you should avoid is charging battery while playing with OC
the irony of this statement when someone calls me out for it is that the my shield is the 2017 model, which is the X1, the X1+ has no bearing to the overclocked shield tv. What makes the SOC not equivalent. I have still yet have someone point out what part of the circuit would not allow for it.

I do see the idea that the other user points out on how the OS is designed to throttle when necessary, which is possible, however there exists Posts like this which seems to indicate that the switch does throttle (as any device normally should) soI haven't seen any real hard evidence that while under docked situations (would never run overclocked on battery) that it is a problem.

For reference, the fact that the SOC is the same is the reason why the switch, and other devices using tegra X1 were exploitable in the first place. (e.g pixel C, Shield TV)
The SOC might be the same but the rest of the components aren't all the same but I never tried to OC yet anyway as I'm still using SX OS and barely touch the console...

Anyway the worse you could do is definitely playing with OC while charging the battery which I even recommend avoiding if you can even at stock because most dead switches out there are mostly because of 2 chips and the most common I think is the charging IC if I even remember well...

Steam deck for example also seems to have OK temperature but sadly the IC chip gets easily above 90C° if playing on max power settings while charging the battery which is not good and most likely a lot will start to fail in the future needing the charging IC chip replaced.

Edit: I however have my PC almost maxed out in OC for many years but I know 100% sure I have more than enough cooling and big headroom in terms of motherboard components or PSU to do it for many years without problems...

Last edited by guily6669,

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: I however have my PC almost maxed out in OC for many years but I know 100% sure I have more than enough cooling and big headroom in terms of motherboard components or PSU to do it for many years without problems...
anybody with actual knowledge on the subject will tell you its not comparable to pc overclocking

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anybody with actual knowledge on the subject will tell you its not comparable to pc overclocking
I didn't compare I clearly said that I'm not an expert in Switch hardware and even though the SOC can surely OC well I don't know about the other components how much headroom have specially when they aren't even being cooled for longevity under high OC...

My switch is heavily modified in terms of cooling, I even went the extra mile of cutting the backplate and put huge amount of thermal paste all over most components below the motherboard but most on the top sadly I haven't cooled them so it's mostly the SOC and memories that are being cooled.

I plan to go even more extreme is on Steam Deck 😁😎

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol