Homebrew Is It (Still) Worth Buying a Nintendo Wii in 2018 to Softmod?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@MaeseJesus @RattletraPM
As far as I've seen, the unwritten commercial purpose of the Wii Mini (apart from using leftover CPUs, etc) is as a novelty gift, like the (s)nes mini - it was a relatively common prize at Mario Kart tournaments in my area :D

The mini consoles may be overpriced and artificially crippled, but at least they are cheaper than a functionally equivalent setup with original hardware, and easier to find/setup than other emulation products... advantages the wii "mini" didn't have

Where is a great place to buy an original model Wii?
Anywhere you can find them, if you are not interested in BootMii in boot2 or a DVD-R compatible optical drive
Anywhere you can find them and lets you try before you buy (bring appropriate SD/discs), if you are

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I didn't know they gifted Wii Minis, kinda cool for a small prize. If it was supposed to be a novelty, I guess they nailed it; seems very little people wanted one beyond collectors!

To be completely honest, as much as I like the NES/SNES Mini systems, and how well accepted they've been (making this cold heart of coal of mine beat for a second, seeing general consumers still liking old games, and even finding random people talking about them on the street); I... I fail miserably at trying to find reasons to use them on a personal level. While being able to be hacked is a great thing for us; I find them to not compete with my already setted up and working Wii (but I may be being unreasonable here). I still find them more appealing than a Wii Mini, though!

That said, I've been kinda wanting them to do a N64 Mini. Now that could be interesting, if it has good performance across the games it supports. Probably won't happen, as emulating N64 is a fair bit more complicated and expensive matter compared to NES & SNES, but hey, Nintendo has trademarked several times N64 related stuff these two last years (alongside other systems too). Making a N64 Mini game list could be fun, too.

It'll probably be more expensive, now that I think about it... But hey, I guess it's better to have something a bit overpriced than having AtGames-Quality Mini Systems...

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
...Oh boy, I think I derailed this post entirely. Sorry about that!
Remember, you're not the only one derailing this thread lul

I passed through three different systems with several repairs each one for multiple causes, Red Ring of Dead included. Probably the worst piece of hardware I've ever had, talking purely about performance and durability. After the third died (for the last time) we couldn't be more soured about Microsoft in general, lol.
I was extremely pissed about my 360 because it was a JTAG, and at the time the JTAGs were extremely rare and pricey. It was the pre-RGH era so it was literally the only way to play homebrew and "backup" XBLA content. So yeah, needless to say, they did manage to get their shit togheter with Jasper and later models but by that time my faith in them was already long gone.

I miss the days of Giant Enemy Crabs and 599 U.S. Dollars (I feel old!).
I'm currently immersed in a "tech nostalgia wave" (I may be watching a bit too many druaga1 videos lately) and I remember those sweet, sweet times. And I also feel old.

I'm not entirely sure about how they still make money out of Wii games, probably they produced so many units that there are still sealed games being shipped somewhere? The two games I mentioned are known from data showed back in March of this year, so it happened before the Wii-Tegra ports. and I would assume they see those versions as separate products. It's quite intriguing.
That was my other guess, so you may be right. Another thing I have thought is if they are earning a cut throught used sales via videogame resellers like Gamestop, but I might be completely wrong on that one.

@MaeseJesus @RattletraPM
As far as I've seen, the unwritten commercial purpose of the Wii Mini (apart from using leftover CPUs, etc) is as a novelty gift, like the (s)nes mini - it was a relatively common prize at Mario Kart tournaments in my area :D
Now that you mention it I remember reading that it was aimed at novelty gifts but I didn't know it was given as a prize at tournaments... That does indeed make sense and it would've been pretty neat to win one back then tbh. Afterall if you didn't like it you could've at least sold it for some sweet cash :rofl:

Reactions: Maeson

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
get a used WIIU it can play and do anything a wii can and you get wiiu stuff aswhell, there is no wrong in owning a wiiu over a wii tbh.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Quite a few genuinely good games sadly covered by a whole bunch of shovelware (something that also happens a lot on the PS2 library with more obscure titles), specially if you enjoy games for what they are instead of expecting everything to be "AAA" stuff. Things like the Kororinpa games, Endless Ocean, Ivy the Kiwi, Mercury Meltdown Revolution or Order Up! are a handful of often overlooked or plain ignored like if they were Imagine Party Babyz or something.

...Although Order Up! could do with a better cover, the one it has doesn't really help that much.
Also, Ubisoft was a truly horrible source of shovelware, my god, I forgot about it.

Yeah, it was too late for me to go back to the 360 too.
I still remember that the fail rate of the system was pointed to be over 50% out of the factory. Yikes...

To me more than nostalgia, is just that I kind of look back at simpler times and think how quaint were compared to present day, but whatever. That E3 conference was a mine of funny moments, too, like the "Ridge Racer..! Riiiiidge Racer!!", which I hear now again because of that rumour of Ridge Racer 8 for Switch. But with that said, I find old tech quite fascinating too, like the Satellaview or stuff like the GB Camera. I don't have the same feel of wonder for modern stuff, maybe in part because the ingenuity of trying to do something with limited technology always seems more impressive to me, which is also a rather big part of the past of companies like Nintendo with Gunpei Yokoi, thus also being part of the history of video games.

But there I go ranting again, truly the proof of getting old!

Reactions: Ryccardo

vbarros22

Trophies
Website
mundowiihack.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I have a Wii U that I bought a little over a month, unfortunately I needed to sell my Wii to have Wii U (life in Brazil is difficult), but it is an excellent console, I am a longtime gamer, but the console that I could say that it was really mine was the Wii, already late in 2012, but it was the best console I could have. I have friends surrounded by PS3, PS4, Xbox .. But none of these consoles provide as many joys and laughter as my Wii on the wheel, the unlock is much less complicated than with Wii U, and online can be reactivated with the Wiimmfi, in addition of the advantages already mentioned with GameCube. If it's only for the collection, no problems, but to play even, why not use the Wii U? HDMI is a good advantage, and you can inject GameCube games to play on the Gamepad, and also the Wii games that have Classic support. The emulated memory card's compatibility is more like a pro than a counter in GC games. It has the GC Controller Adapter for Wii U is up good if you want a more original experience, but the Wii U Pro Controller is still a very good experience. Finally, if you already have a GameCube controls and also a Wiimote, buying a Wii is easy since it reuses the controls, both for the old and reused in the new ones, as for who bought the new and can reuse in the old

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think yes because although Wii U have some benefits especially because it is a HD console and the Wii isnt, I think the Wii U is not as cheap as I hoped it would be for a discontinued console. Every console that is EOL drops significantly in price and the Wii U not because even when it was supported, it only had one 50$ price cut and it wasnt enough to drive consumers and now many sellers think it would be a collector piece and I strongly disagree even though I like the console. It will be a collector piece only for Nintendo enthusiasts and these kinds of collectors who buy everything, a common person who buy some consoles and games and have a heavily curated collection dont have any good reason to pay what many are asking for because most of the gems will be ported to the Switch and other systems if possible, unless you want to play games around controversy such as Star Fox Zero, which I really doubt it will be ported to Switch. To play emulated games, you have tons of hardware to do, even the Wii is very capable to do it and one cool thing about it is that it can output in 240p and when playing on a CRT, it is indistinguishable from the real console.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think yes because although Wii U have some benefits especially because it is a HD console and the Wii isnt, I think the Wii U is not as cheap as I hoped it would be for a discontinued console.

This is what puts me off a Wii U.

The longer you wait to buy a Wii U the more exploits Nintendo will fix, so jailbreaking it will be annoying. I know the Wii U didn't sell well, so there aren't many units out there. But I was kinda expecting demand to tail off for second hand systems as well.

While the Wii is cheap and as long as you have one with Wifi (i.e. not the really cut down ones) they can all be exploited.

Last edited by smf,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I think Wii U will get more expensive with time; like most systems that weren't successful, as the amount of units produced is lower and it will become closer to a collector item, and everybody wants to make money out of those situations, sometimes going way too far, like "Flinstones - Surprise at Dinosaur Peak" for the NES, that seems to have a price of over 1700$... Or even more!!

But, to me, the real problem going forward is that the console relays on the Gamepad, which is a unique piece of hardware that made the Wii U, well, the Wii U. Unlike the Wiimote, it never became a standalone controller that you could buy on its own (at least outside of Japan), and officially, a replacement from Nintendo was stated to cost around 140$; so for the most part, there's a limited number of them, and is somewhat attached to the number consoles produced, making things harder as time passes and they break (either for irresponsible use or lots of use).

Ebay and Amazon show that you can buy Gamepads at minimum around 70/80$, and often going over 100$ with shipping, but those seem to be second hand controllers (and reviews tell that all don't work perfectly, like not being able to sync with a console), which means finding systems without Gamepads will be more common as time goes on. In contrast, the Wiimote still was officially being produced during Wii U's life, so there are way more out there. There are also quite a few third party Wiimotes, which, even if I personally can't recommend, at least they let you do something with the system. Third party Gamepads seem to be out of the table for now, because of how it connects with the console.

I found one at 90 euros here (alongside those 20 euros Wiis I mentioned the other day). It came with the Gamepad, which is pretty good all things considered. It's also kinda telling how important the Gamepad is to the overall system and its value. Looking at Amazon, though, I find lots of supposedly new Wii Us going for over 700$ for the 32GB version (600$ for the 8GB one, too). There are refurbished systems for 300$ and up, which is the price for the new Nintendo Switch, a system that's more successful and appealing (and also getting most of the "important" Wii U games, like Codemastershock says).

I find all of that simply bonkers. Looking at this, it may not be a bad idea getting one as soon as you can; if you are interested and find a good deal, because I doubt things will stay at a decent price for long. Best places to look would probably be physical stores and sites like Craigslist or Wallapop where you deal directly with the owner of the system. Although I still maintain my opinion that the Wii is still worth it, specially with GC-related stuff.

Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: newo

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is what puts me off a Wii U.

The longer you wait to buy a Wii U the more exploits Nintendo will fix, so jailbreaking it will be annoying. I know the Wii U didn't sell well, so there aren't many units out there. But I was kinda expecting demand to tail off for second hand systems as well.

While the Wii is cheap and as long as you have one with Wifi (i.e. not the really cut down ones) they can all be exploited.
there will be no more fixes, even the latest wiiu update wich is probably the very last hasnt fixed anything, get haxchi and your done for life, it cant be fixed by an update.

Ferrox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My favorite thing about the Wii is that it can output 240p unlike the Wii U. I have my Wii hooked up to a crt using component cables and NES, SNES, and SEGA emulators look incredible on it.

Reactions: Ryccardo

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where is a great place to buy an original model Wii?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Check thrift stores since you're in the US. I got 3 (!) Wiis for $5 each at the Salvation Army a few months ago. All of them had the boot2 vulnerability.

TheArcuzHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I'm looking to expand my collection of modded consoles and have wanted to own a Wii to add to this collection. I'm basically asking, is it worth doing now? With the Wii U and the Switch - is buying a console and the peripherals needed to mod (SDcard, games, hard drive etc.) this late into the consoles life cycle still worth it? I'm just wondering since games are no longer released on the Wii and online play is no longer. This is of course open to discussion and I'd mostly like to know what you have all used the power of the softmod for? All opinions, pointers and tips are appreciated. Thank you.
Just to brag, My Wii is perfectly softmodded, to the point I can play any game that the Wii can play (any region too), any Wii channel from any region (thanks to PriiLoader), so the fun is infinite is endless, adding up the online games that still work like MW3 and BO1 for Wii (USB loader games work online too, I've confirmed it) so yeah go right ahead! The Wii is just as good as it was 10 years ago, but without most online features.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Through Wiimmfi you can still play a fair share of games: https://wiimmfi.de/stat?m=24
Seems to be quite easy if you use USB Loader GX, as it has an option to patch games "on the fly", which works with games not named Mario Kart Wii (that one needs an special patch).

And RiiConect24 is reviving other online features. So the little machine still has decent online support, which is something I really didn't think it would happen back in the day.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Or go for Dolphin in 4K (or 1080P).
I play on it with a real wiimote + nunchuk, sync with a mayflash sensor bar and a bluetooth usb key.
180917104631481304.png

Last edited by Asia81,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can update w USB but they only offer newest updates on they site, they don't give old like ps
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean an archive if a person wants to buy an older Xbox for the exploit
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think there is a way to archive older update files or no one's cared to so if patched already screwed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm still not sure how it works, but yea MS offers newest updates only, you can't find old
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I found a internet archive that's up to 2021 that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or if you are on on old fw, it won't let you online till u update to newest
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm still not getting that hyped over it I can play my pc game that I torrented with a torrent for Xbox that's the same game woo
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But yea @SylverReZ the Durango dumps have all I've heard of till now that was significant
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If they enable stealth online like the good old jtag days that'll be different
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    #BringBackGodModeOnline
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    #makekensmomwashdatass
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    #MakeDaTempGreatAgain
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My feelings
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm sorry, i feel bad now.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yo momma is just fine as she is.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I really don't
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't we just go back to waking each other's dicks again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No! We said we' d never mention that agai...no I mean what are you talking about, thats ridiculous
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can hug and make up which part of your body would you like kissed sir
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just wanna spoon and...no I'm not falling for your tricks anymore, I've moved on.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yes I know about your deep love you have for @SylverReZ but I was your first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could've been polly thinking about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its not your baby, no matter how much you what it to be, we were separated at that time.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We sound like Mexican soap operas
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: We sound like Mexican soap operas