Is it worth upgrading from Rebug 4.86 to Evilnat 4.91?

Archangel22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Got a pre-owned ps3 phat console which I plan to refurbish clean up and re-paste to cool the cpu and rsx and remove all the dust everywhere. Anyway the last owner installed cfw with rebug 4.86 from what I can see, they gave me an external sata drive which I connect via a usb caddie to the ps3 and sure enough game backups work just fine. Anyway I just was not sure if it is worth the effort to upgrade to evilnat 4.91 and cobra using mr marios guide on youtube.

The part that confuses me is mr mario says if you have cfw already you dont need to follow those steps so unsure how to upgrade it, I want to avoid getting 4.91 ofw and updating it from a usb drive and following his full 30min video. I am confused do I just put evilnat 4.91 ps3update file to a usb drive, plug it in to the console and do a software update from usb? Or do I need to use the ps3 exploit tool to flash and patch etc all over again?

Also sometime next week Im expecting a 1tb sata drive to come in from the mail which I want to connect and upgrade to my phat ps3 internally. I know when I plug it in it will ask me to format it to fat32 or the internal tool format which is fine. But what do I need to do to get it ready? Same deal use that same usb drive and run the evilnat ps3 update file?

Sorry very very new to ps3 please be patient with me and appreciate if someone can guide me and dumb it down for me. I tried reddit but it is confusing and everyone just says to install latest ofw and then follow that full guide. no clarity on upgrading the hdd later on the steps required. hoping to have some luck here
Post automatically merged:

Ignore found another vid, yep easy as just putting what ever cfw to a usb drive and doing the folder structure and name for software update.

Last edited by Archangel22,

Vigilant_Veggie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just keep in mind, you'll have to re-do the jailbreak when you upgrade the internal hard drive. Whenever you do that you'll have to reinstall OFW from a USB drive

adonios77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
EvilNat is the best! I had to use Rebug (very confusing for me) to change from CEX to DEX. I went straight back to Evilnat (still DEX) and was relieved! There's also Rebug toolbox as plugin for any CFW.

As for the INTERNAL (main) Disk: be careful!
I think it's also possible to clone old Disk to new, and with this way you can avoid whole procedure such ("JB" what a stupid term!) Unlocking;exploiting;freeing the PS3 again from scratch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.