Hacking Is my switch OFW safe after resetting via official option in switch settings?

tmcrnll

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My uncle recently bought a modded switch (Mariko, with picofly), and I said I'd like to check it out to see if everything was set up correctly.

It wasn't. The person who modded it set it up so the sysNAND was used with CFW, so the original stock nand, without pirated games, wasn't available anymore (he used Kefir). I wanted to set it up that you could also boot into OFW sysnand to play online games, so I just reset the sysNAND using the built-in option in the switch settings. Is it safe to go online now on with OFW sysNAND? (I've removed everything from the SD card, and put hekate back in it)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My uncle recently bought a modded switch (Mariko, with picofly), and I said I'd like to check it out to see if everything was set up correctly.

It wasn't. The person who modded it set it up so the sysNAND was used with CFW, so the original stock nand, without pirated games, wasn't available anymore (he used Kefir). I wanted to set it up that you could also boot into OFW sysnand to play online games, so I just reset the sysNAND using the built-in option in the switch settings. Is it safe to go online now on with OFW sysNAND? (I've removed everything from the SD card, and put hekate back in it)
Ask the original seller if they have a clean NAND backup. Without it, you can't make the sysNAND 100% clean again. Factory reset does nothing. You can clear the logs with homebrew, but Nintendo can detect that the logs don't match what's on the servers. But it's better than nothing.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
2 problems :

1. Even with a factory reset, traces of the custom firmware will be present on the sysNand. Haku33 is said to be able to completely wipe everything but I have never used it. So no guarantees.
https://github.com/StarDustCFW/Haku33

2. The Switch could already be banned by Nintendo. There is no way of undoing that if that is the case.
The only way would be to wipe it completely clean with Haku33 and go into the eShop (probably you need to create a Nintendo account for that as well). If you can download some free stuff and do the same thing a month later without any problems, then likely the Switch was not banner. But no guarantees of any kind.
Sometimes people get banned after months.

MisterAlex

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
misteralex.net
XP
Country
United States
In a similar situation having just received a moddable Switch. I know it has had multiple owners, so restoring a backup is kind of unrealistic, so I'm mainly wanting to check if it has previously been sysNAND modded. What's the best option, there? (And thanks for the Haku33 info... just in case.)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a similar situation having just received a moddable Switch. I know it has had multiple owners, so restoring a backup is kind of unrealistic, so I'm mainly wanting to check if it has previously been sysNAND modded. What's the best option, there? (And thanks for the Haku33 info... just in case.)

The only way to prevent a ban is to restore a clean nand backup. Haku33 doesn't prevent a ban.

4d1xlaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's no way to know. any previous owner could have done something and just removed any traces of whatever they did.

MisterAlex

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
misteralex.net
XP
Country
United States
Ha, well. I simply booted up the Switch and went through the first-boot steps (it had been formatted/reinitialized), and I let it perform a regular firmware update. And then it just rebooted to a black screen. So I take that to mean that yes, it was previously sysNAND modded. 🙃

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: yucky times. :sad: