Hardware Is the 3DS' NDS-Mode really an NDS Emulator?

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
So I've had my 3DS for 6 days now. And in this time, I've messed with DS-Mode alot, including with my DSTwo *slapsHimself*. Some things that I've found out while playing my 3DS that doesn't happen on my DSiXL:

• When playing my NSMB Hack, New Retro Mario Bros, alot of the tiles are messed up. And it's not just the 8x8 graphic tiles messed up, it's like the bottom 6 of the 16 pixels of some blocks are duplicates of the top 6 pixels, and they aren't properly blended with the rest of the displayed graphics.

• Rhythm Heaven is nearly unplayable, it feels like there's about 80ms lag, which is enough to kill you.

• I played a homebrew that doesn't have Sleep Mode enabled, meaning that the processing doesn't stop, and the screens stay on. (BibleDS if anyone cares) When I use it on the 3DS, when I close it, the screen turns off, and processing seems to be cut in half (when caching the books at startup, it takes twice as long as when open)

Has anyone else experienced any of these problems? (If you want to test something with a homebrew but are too scared to put a flashcart in your 3DS, ask me and I'll do it until I get my 3DS replaced because of other problems (LEGO Star Wars randomly freezes, and since that started, other stuff does too except for DS mode (Flash cart went in after the problems started, so don't blame that!)))

Discuss

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Egg

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I noticed a lag when Rhythm Heaven (USA) came out back in 2009, compared to Rhythm Tengoku Gold (JAP). I hated RH until Rhythm Paradise came out and fixed the issue. It´s rather a development problem.

And the other stuff, perhaps those problems you have at garbled tiles, icons, etc are because of different RAM layout inside 3DS´s DS mode. *Just a thought*

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me it seems unlikely that the NDS mode is 'emulation'. The architecture is still ARM so it's not like you need to emulate much. There are probably some new video calls to address the 3DS capabilities, but in NDS mode those calls would be the same as before.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
bowser said:
WiiBricker said:
Can you test this game please?
Is that a homebrew?
No, it's a commercial ROM (warez).
[sorryfordoublepost]

No, it's Homebrew. It has a Summer Compo startup. (edit: Whoops, didn't realize that you posted the original post asking to test the game... Sorry)

It seems to work fine. I don't know how it is normally, but it starts up and plays. Feels weird with circle pad tho...

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
One thing to understand is that while the 3DS does it's best to mimic the hardware environment of the DS, it won't be perfect. And also understand that homebrew and hacks were not on Nintendo's things-to-do-list when getting DS playback working.

Now, Rhythm Heaven is another issue. Remember that the 3DS generates longer load times with DS software (bulk or streaming). If you are running it with an SCDS2, then that could contribute to the problem you're facing.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
coolness said:
this is a good discovery but have you maybe checked if the dumps are bad or not?
Everything is good and works perfectly on my iXL and Lite

I'm mainly curious about the homebrew's weird sleepmode behavior.

Also, Moonshell2 acts weird when you first close it (stutters), but is fine otherwise.

I shall test stuff on my DSone when I get home from Florida. (We are competing at the BEST Robotics World Championship! (And we're gonna win!))

ThriLL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're using the DSTwo? Mind trying out the patched Tales of innocence game? I'm really looking forward to replaying that one on the 3DS.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played (flash cart) Rhythm Heaven with no problem.
unsure.gif
Strange....

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
KingVamp said:
unsure.gif
Strange....
Hmm... Did you play it fullscreen or unscaled?

[sorryfordoublepostagain]

There's an unscaled mode? I have to look into that. The resize filter Nintendo used makes the NDS games look way too soft.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Rankio said:
jceggbert5 said:
KingVamp said:
unsure.gif
Strange....

There's an unscaled mode? I have to look into that. The resize filter Nintendo used makes the NDS games look way too soft.
I agree. Hold start and/or select from when you start the game until you see the game launch (the 3D LED turns off) Looks real tiny though (but that's coming from an iXL user)

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went from the DSLite so it should be alright for me. Hopefully Nintendo updates their resize method with a firmware update.

Thanks for the tip.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
KingVamp said:
unsure.gif
Strange....

Yes, full screen and the game itself looks aright, actually it looks the same. Although I'm not a XL owner.

Not trying to offend or anything,but

Maybe it the rom or you need to play longer(practice).

Or maybe I'm unknowingly adapting to the lag?
laugh.gif
jk

Is it a huge lag?

Maybe I should look at these games harder, I can't really tell the difference. TBH

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk