Hardware Is the Switch Lite worth buying?

Worth it?

• Yes (I own one)

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • No (I own one)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Yes (I don't own one)

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No (I don't own one)

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thers only one reason to get a switch lite if its gonna take you years to save up for the original switch - seriously just get the original switch as thts it's purpose switching

Josshy0125

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have an OG switch, for normal use, a hacked switch for homebrew and shit, and a(n) (obviously) non-hacked switch lite, which is now my main switch. I thought I'd miss the rumble more than I do, and that was my biggest concern, even above the lack of TV support.

Turns out it's not as big of a loss as I'd thought it was. It's actually really great, regardless! It feels better to hold, and I oddly like the lite a lot more than the OG switch. So much so, that I'm tempted to buy another for when SX comes out with their solution for hacking it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thers only one reason to get a switch lite if its gonna take you years to save up for the original switch - seriously just get the original switch as thts it's purpose switching

That's subjective.

Last edited by Josshy0125,
Reactions: zxr750j

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it is a crap unless you prefer it on the go only. It will not be able to plug to TV legally at all. It is mean to be on the go only. Nah, I ignored it.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, it is a crap unless you prefer it on the go only. It will not be able to plug to TV legally at all. It is mean to be on the go only. Nah, I ignored it.
I think everyone on gbatemp knows its not playable on a TV though is ther anyone here tht didn't kno tht and bought one thinking it would :lol:

spoonm

Can count to 3.
Trophies
Website
spoonm.org
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm thinking of getting one.
If you're okay with the fact you will likely never be able to hook it up to a TV, the battery doesn't last as long as some would expect, the screen is a bit smaller than that of the regular model, there is no rumble, and you can't (yet) hack it, then by all means.

Games will have less impressive graphics when in portable mode, so if you're okay with that until an exploit is found for the newer Switch units and firmware versions that would enable forcing a "switch", good for you!
I'll get one when they build them with circlepads.
On the go my ass, nothing that has sticks sticking out of it is good to take out.

Even if it had circle pads, the plastic screen is still exposed, so I'd use some case or pouch for it either way. With a circle pad you might be able to just use an old sock, though.

Speaking of circle pads, the Wii U Gamepad had them in the Wii U reveal video. Wonder why they decided to replace them with the analog sticks in the end. Not to derail the thread, but I'd play my Wii U more had the gamepad been thinner and lighter while retaining the grip. Hell, the regular Switch is lighter than the WUGpad, I can't imagine how light the Lite feels to hold.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if you don't have a switch then consider the following

1. do you want to hack your switch?
2. if you don't get a red box switch for better battery
3, if you don't care about docking or hacking then a switch lite is better for handheld. its lighter and has better chance to fit in a pocket

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole concept about the switch is about switching between docked and handled, now they removed it and selling it for a lower price but added some cool colors instead so BIG NO

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I also got a homebrewed OG Switch and a Lite for playing (pokemon) online. I never use my switch on a tv but occasionally my kids do.

I really only use the lite (light, crisp) but if I to choose only one, I'll be the OG...

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the switch lite is a cheaper option and to replace the 2ds/3ds
Well you can't play many games since the joycons are integrated, you'll need to buy extra joy cons, if you do the math it's not cheap it's more or less the same price ( The original being cheaper since it contains more accessories)

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's barely any joycon-required games and you don't want to play them on the lite anyway. You go into it knowing that the lite is a dedicated handheld and nothing more, like a 3DS. You don't try to huddle people around a tiny screen to mario party or 1-2 switch.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its pretty, pretty simple. If you want to play ONLY on the go then get the lite. You wont have to worry about charging the controllers or the dumb dock scratching the screen etc. Other than that if you can afford to spend $200 on a toy, you could prob afford the $300 too, even if that meant waiting a little longer. So to me the price is not really a factor in the decision making.

Reactions: xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
The only thing preventing me from buying the lite is the fact handheld graphics are way worse than docked graphics.why would Nintendo pack the same power in the Lite if you would never need docked graphics is beyond me.

Now, if patched units become hackable, you could use solutions like reverse nx to bring docked graphics while on handheld. That's the day when I'll get the lite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DragonMals
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    DragonMals tempBOT: DragonMals has joined the room.