Hacking Is the WODE still the best option to load USB Wii/GC games?

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, he has much more than two. He has 6 (look at my previous post) (really 7, if you include the Sundriver (and 8 if you include Emulation on the computer)). One of those options, backup disks, will be eliminated if his drive is too new to read them.

And it's also worth noting that "The same loaders from the "Wii Games" section above" do not load Gamecube games, at least not on their own, they launch Dios Mios and Devolution with parameters telling those programs to load those games. The backup loaders themselves load nothing other than Wii games.
I gave him the best options. He wants to mod his friend's Wii to run GCN games, so emulation on a computer is really irrelevant, unless his Wii doesn't have Gamecube controller ports. Also, if he can load games from USB, he probably won't want to bother with backup discs, and Swiss is nowhere as good on the Wii as DM or Devolution (slowdowns, compatibility, etc.)
Also, I meant the same loaders he will use for Wii will allow him to launch GCN games, but my comment assumed he installs either DM or Devolution. I guess that was not very clear, the way I wrote it but it is the same with Wii games. The loaders don't load anything by themselves, not even Wii games like you suggest but rather the cIOS does and the loaders simply pass on parameters.

So, to load gamecube games with cfgusbloader, I still need to install dios mios? Because I know if I play my retail wind waker game in dios mios, it freezes when I toggle to maps.
Like the poster above suggests, I thought this was solved ages ago. Simply try the latest version of DM and let us know how it goes. And yes, you need to install DM or Devolution to play GCN games with CFG USB Loader.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The way I see it, if you are getting the Wii with an intention to play Gamecube backups, you're doing it wrong. Not only the Gamecube has a small library, it's also dirt cheap and with so many modchips that are idiot-proof to install that it's ridiculous. Gamecube Mode is merely a convenience, not the primary focus - one should focus on additional Wii Mode functionality in which Softmods admittedly excel.

Back to Gamecube Mode though, I find Dios-Mios in its current form to be absolutely sufficient - the good games work just fine as long as you have clean dumps. Devolution is an interesting but not very useful project - if I need to own a physical, working disc to boot a game, I might as well boot it from the disc itself, no questions asked. USB Loading was supposed to be the Get Out of Jail card for those who find using discs inconvenient or have damaged drives, and Devolution caters to neither group. I realize that you only insert the disc once for verification, but given the fact that those discs are 10 years old, sometimes scratched beyond repair or simply non-existant due to their scarcity (the Gamecube never took off where I live, most of my legit games are imports) it completely misses its target audience.

The sentiment is noble and I respect it, but at the same time, I choose Dios Mios instead because it's more convenient for me to download than to dump games or look through pre-owned sections knowing that I'm not supporting the developers by buying the disc anyways.

Reactions: kupo3000

FullMetalEngineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Foxi4 hit it on the head. In the end DM will be the final solution with 2.6 released, disc swapping now works which is huge.. All that's left now is audio streaming and Devolution will be pretty much useless.

kupo3000

Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 hit it on the head. In the end DM will be the final solution with 2.6 released, disc swapping now works which is huge.. All that's left now is audio streaming and Devolution will be pretty much useless.

I hope crediar eventually fixes retail disc usage by not having a jumpdrive connected all the time.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
*bump*

I just bought a Wii console + WODE today, as it seemed at a good price, since they are quite rare now @£80 posted with a HDTV cable, sensor and an official PSU (no controller).

I already have 2 other Wii's (one chipped and the other one Soft Modded) but thought it be cool to own a bit of old tech to play with.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many of the old recommendations from 2012 were that the Wode Jukebox was better for Game Cube game support than USB loaders, but that was seven years ago. Have things changed now? Are USB loaders just as good as the Wode now for GC compatibility?

I have a Wode in a Wii where the drive has gone out, and was wondering if it would be simpler to just USB mod a replacement Wii rather than swapping the drives or wode?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, Dr Willy