Homebrew Is there a way to convert DPG back?

Prime_Zero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if its there is a way to convert DPG files back to a normal format, yes its probably a odd thing to ask.
But I have alot of Amv's I lost when my computer got a wicked virus, and im unable to find any of my amv's. I do have them on my Ds though, and so far ive had no luck converting them back, or finding a program that can.

I Know its possible the thing is Im kinda thinking no one has ever wanted to convert back wards before so there probably is not a way.
unsure.gif

(Also was not sure if this was the right area for this topic....)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure about some of the later iterations of the DPG format but there was a windows playback options at one point (the format is that simple you could do it with a hex editor if you really wanted)- the really old versions were a header (rather nicely sporting locations of the upcoming files), a mp2 audio track (can now be OGG) and then a MPEG1 raw stream, the newer versions added a frame lookup table of some form after the video and I have not paid any attention past that (it has been several years since I played with the DPG format).
As for simple converter apps I know of none.

I will mention though you are likely to find yourself looking at some tiny, heavily compressed MPEG1 videos and those will not be good for PC playback.

That must have been a serious virus too- what was wrong with a liveCD?

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
in a related topic, any way to convert .cbds files back to .cbz or .cbr? You can manually do it (which is a big pain) but you lose image quality.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Not too sure - but what about 'Super Â' video converter

I know it allows conversion from AVI/MPG to DPG - not sure about the other way round...
... And as 'how_do_i_do_that' said there most probably be pixelation etc so the quality will be bad, still it might be something to look at

stealthfire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I think it would be better to find and download those amvs again. There is significant quality loss in converting to DPG. Mainly due to 256x192 resolution. So converting it back will get you horrendous quality.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@choconado a bit off topic but OK, last time I played with CBDS files 7zip could open them (it was some time ago but after the app stopped being developed). Quality was usually good as well- the converter makes smaller images for the basic screenshots and uses bigger ones for
CBR and CBZ files are nothing rar and zip files respectively with a different extension. Naturally you are going to want some form or page numbering/ordering in there but the CBDS converter should not have let you down there.

Back on topic if I get a chance in the morning I will either pull it apart at the source level (alas the PC side of moonshell used an odd language last time I was playing with it) or just grab/make a few files and pull those apart. You should be able to pull them apart with a hex editor though, I should have linked something like it last night but http://www.howforge.com/how-to-convert-avi-to-dpg-in-linux has an old version of the DPG spec and as I said I doubt it has changed all that much with the increase in version numbers and even if it has the big numbers will correspond to your audio and video sections (although I will note that audio can end up bigger on some occasions when playing in this world).

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
in a related topic, any way to convert .cbds files back to .cbz or .cbr? You can manually do it (which is a big pain) but you lose image quality.
I believe .CBDS are just basic ZIP files, but unlike CBZ/CBR it has multiple resolutions and folders for each res.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nope, just one resolution. I've had to manually convert a file I lost before. .cbz's are also just zip files with a different name. Problem is that the numbering style is different between CBDS and say, CDisplay. It works like this: A CBDS file will be listed "1, 2, 3...10, 11, 12...100, 101,102" etc, where a standard .cbz file will be listed as "001, 002, 003...010, 011, 012...100, 101, 102". I'm sure you can guess how things work out if you simply switch the extensions from a .cbds to a .cbz you need to actually go in and add the zeros to the files (using a zip program, natch) for the comic reader to get the page order right. And as I said, there's a resolution problem as well.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
Nope, just one resolution.
All my .CBDS files have 3 types of folders:
- IMAGE (Top screen; "full" size image)
- SMALL_N/SMALL_R (Bottom screen; Scaled to DS screen size)
- THMB_N/THMB_R (Tiny preview; Shown on the Menu)

For the SMALL_ and THMB_ folders, N is for Normal, R is for Rotated.

bialy_gibson

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The resolution in .cbds files is set before converting via PictoDS, you can keep high resolution or set it to lower (faster loading, less weight).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Soi soi soi rofl rofl rofl