Homebrew Is there a way to remove empty pages in Wii U Menu?

Nomado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
I installed bunch of VC Injects and they created lots of pages. Now that I have organized them, there are bunch of empty pages left. Is there any way to delete those empty pages so that Wii U menu is more organized?
My gamepad stand is located such so that sometimes when I put is on stand should buttons are pressed and scrolls all the way to the end of the pages requiring me to press ZL or L to scroll it back again.

Would be really, really nice to know if I can delete those empty pages.

Last edited by Nomado,

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

If you want to move channels from the wii U menu, follow this procedure =>

-you target a chain (icon) and click on B and A at the same time with your wiimote. to change the page chain, click on it with B and A and position the pointer with the chain on the arrow on the right or left of the screen. And here you can put your channels, wherever you want.

Or delete what you want from wii u settings (data management). be careful what you delete , after you have to see.

Last edited by jeannotte,

Nomado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Hello,

If you want to move channels from the wii U menu, follow this procedure =>

-you target a chain (icon) and click on B and A at the same time with your wiimote. to change the page chain, click on it with B and A and position the pointer with the chain on the arrow on the right or left of the screen. And here you can put your channels, wherever you want.

Or delete what you want from wii u settings (data management). be careful what you delete , after you have to see.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that is not the problem I have. Problem I have is I have lots of empty pages and I would very much like to remove them.

https://imgur.com/in3TCVI
in3TCVI

Last edited by Nomado,

Corto86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,
Digging up this one because I can't believe there is no homebrew to rearrange the menu and deleting extra pages which are no more used and clean up this messy pages. Even put some icons to the folders to replace text name like "Zelda" "Mario" "Metroid" "Rockband" ...

Thanks for your answers.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Hi,
Digging up this one because I can't believe there is no homebrew to rearrange the menu and deleting extra pages which are no more used and clean up this messy pages. Even put some icons to the folders to replace text name like "Zelda" "Mario" "Metroid" "Rockband" ...

Thanks for your answers.
I did find how to put special characters into folder names a few days ago. I will strongly recommend that you only do this if you're running Aroma, but you can technically do it without. However, since you'd be editing the NAND save for the Wii U Menu, you are at an elevated risk of bricking. I won't explain here how to do this without Aroma.

Aroma redirects the Wii U Menu layout save file to the SD card. You can find it at sd:/wiiu/homebrew_on_menu_plugin/save/XXXXXXXX/BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat, where XXXXXXXX is your Wii U user ID (remember that each user has their own Wii U Menu layout). First up: it's not the end of the world if you corrupt this file, but I'd recommend making a backup before you start screwing around with it.

Second up: If you open this file using a hex editor--HxD is popular on Windows--you will find ... mostly a bunch of data you can't read. However, scattered throughout this file are various chunks of UTF-16 text which are the titles of your folders.

Now, you're like "What the hell is UTF-16 text?" I get it. Here's an example of some UTF-16 text, with the translation below it:
Code:
 0048 006F 006D 0065 0062 0072 0065 0077
    H    o    m    e    b    r    e    w
So in that example, 0048 means H (capital H).

If you're using HxD, you can find your folders by pressing Ctrl+F or using the menu to select Search > Find. Type in the name of your existing folder, then select Unicode (UTF-16 little endian). If you don't do this, it won't find your folders, because HxD doesn't search for UTF-16 text by default!

Now, if you want to change what your folders are called without using the official method on the Wii U itself, you can replace the UTF-16 text with your new text by replacing the hex values on the left side with your new selections. Here's a big old list of UTF-16 codepoints which you can use to find the character/s you want to put in your folder's name. The part in parentheses (brackets) is what you're looking for, e.g. here's H again:

utf16-H.png

Note: There's something important to note about the way text encoding works, and that's that Unicode coverage depends on the font you're using. Different fonts cover different parts of the full Unicode area, which is a complicated way of saying that most fonts (including the one Nintendo uses on the Wii U) don't include support for every possible Unicode symbol. This is also why you need to update your phone to get all the latest emojis. So you might find the perfect symbol only to discover that Nintendo doesn't support it on the Wii U. Oh well.

On the upside, there are sections of Unicode designated for Private Use, meaning the people providing the font can put whatever they feel like into that area. This is used for things like the Apple Inc. logo you can type on Mac OS or iPhones. On the Wii U, Nintendo uses this for a bunch of things like icons of the various buttons and other inputs.

On to the fun icons: here's the Private Use Area (U+E000 to U+E099) from the Wii U's official font:

WiiUPUA.png

(Yes, those are the old Pictochat DS stickers!) You can use any of these UTF-16 values in your folder name. For example, maybe you want to put the icon of a home (U+E073) in your homebrew folder's title, like this:

IMG_20220906_173250_404.jpg

To do that, you would want the hex bytes to read like this:
Code:
E073 0062 0072 0065 0077
       b    r    e    w

Note: If you're using copy and paste to make your edits, do not paste new data into your file using Ctrl+V in HxD. This inserts (adds) your paste, while you want to write (replace) the contents, which can be done with Ctrl+B.

Keep in mind, you're not reading this thread on your Wii U (hopefully), so you can't actually see the Home icon in the above code block, but I promise it's there.

Once you've edited in your custom UTF-16 text, you can save the file and load it up on your Wii U by putting it on your SD card at sd:/wiiu/homebrew_on_menu_plugin/save/XXXXXXXX/BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat, where you found it.

Note: Don't try to edit the Barista save file while you're in the Wii U Menu. The console saves the layout when you launch a title, or shut down, or whatever, so if you change it while the menu is running, your changes won't be reflected on the console. If you want to do it while the console is running, start a game or something before you mess with the Barista save. Otherwise, a solid option is just to take the SD card out of your Wii U and do all of this away from the console.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did find how to put special characters into folder names a few days ago. I will strongly recommend that you only do this if you're running Aroma, but you can technically do it without. However, since you'd be editing the NAND save for the Wii U Menu, you are at an elevated risk of bricking. I won't explain here how to do this without Aroma.

Aroma redirects the Wii U Menu layout save file to the SD card. You can find it at sd:/wiiu/homebrew_on_menu_plugin/save/XXXXXXXX/BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat, where XXXXXXXX is your Wii U user ID (remember that each user has their own Wii U Menu layout). First up: it's not the end of the world if you corrupt this file, but I'd recommend making a backup before you start screwing around with it.

Second up: If you open this file using a hex editor--HxD is popular on Windows--you will find ... mostly a bunch of data you can't read. However, scattered throughout this file are various chunks of UTF-16 text which are the titles of your folders.

Now, you're like "What the hell is UTF-16 text?" I get it. Here's an example of some UTF-16 text, with the translation below it:
Code:
 0048 006F 006D 0065 0062 0072 0065 0077
    H    o    m    e    b    r    e    w
So in that example, 0048 means H (capital H).

If you're using HxD, you can find your folders by pressing Ctrl+F or using the menu to select Search > Find. Type in the name of your existing folder, then select Unicode (UTF-16 little endian). If you don't do this, it won't find your folders, because HxD doesn't search for UTF-16 text by default!

Now, if you want to change what your folders are called without using the official method on the Wii U itself, you can replace the UTF-16 text with your new text by replacing the hex values on the left side with your new selections. Here's a big old list of UTF-16 codepoints which you can use to find the character/s you want to put in your folder's name. The part in parentheses (brackets) is what you're looking for, e.g. here's H again:

View attachment 326701

Note: There's something important to note about the way text encoding works, and that's that Unicode coverage depends on the font you're using. Different fonts cover different parts of the full Unicode area, which is a complicated way of saying that most fonts (including the one Nintendo uses on the Wii U) don't include support for every possible Unicode symbol. This is also why you need to update your phone to get all the latest emojis. So you might find the perfect symbol only to discover that Nintendo doesn't support it on the Wii U. Oh well.

On the upside, there are sections of Unicode designated for Private Use, meaning the people providing the font can put whatever they feel like into that area. This is used for things like the Apple Inc. logo you can type on Mac OS or iPhones. On the Wii U, Nintendo uses this for a bunch of things like icons of the various buttons and other inputs.

On to the fun icons: here's the Private Use Area (U+E000 to U+E099) from the Wii U's official font:

View attachment 326702

(Yes, those are the old Pictochat DS stickers!) You can use any of these UTF-16 values in your folder name. For example, maybe you want to put the icon of a home (U+E073) in your homebrew folder's title, like this:

IMG_20220906_173250_404.jpg

To do that, you would want the hex bytes to read like this:
Code:
E073 0062 0072 0065 0077
       b    r    e    w

Note: If you're using copy and paste to make your edits, do not paste new data into your file using Ctrl+V in HxD. This inserts (adds) your paste, while you want to write (replace) the contents, which can be done with Ctrl+B.

Keep in mind, you're not reading this thread on your Wii U (hopefully), so you can't actually see the Home icon in the above code block, but I promise it's there.

Once you've edited in your custom UTF-16 text, you can save the file and load it up on your Wii U by putting it on your SD card at sd:/wiiu/homebrew_on_menu_plugin/save/XXXXXXXX/BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat, where you found it.

Note: Don't try to edit the Barista save file while you're in the Wii U Menu. The console saves the layout when you launch a title, or shut down, or whatever, so if you change it while the menu is running, your changes won't be reflected on the console. If you want to do it while the console is running, start a game or something before you mess with the Barista save. Otherwise, a solid option is just to take the SD card out of your Wii U and do all of this away from the console.
I modified all of my folders with the tetris blocks (perfect number of them):

xdMS0o6.jpeg

Reactions: Vague Rant

Corto86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's nice indeed. But what about the pages. If I format my HDD, maybe create a new profil for my mii, will it be a bigger mess or that should be ok?

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's nice indeed. But what about the pages. If I format my HDD, maybe create a new profil for my mii, will it be a bigger mess or that should be ok?
I don't know which file governs that, but it could be the account database. it's heavily padded with 0's, which could be other tiles on the system, just don't know enough about it. one of the plugins for aroma creates a new folder with three files in it. I think it's like sdcaffine basically (don't know if you can add more to it), but you can manipulate the files with no risk. if you corrupt one, just delete the folder, put it back in the system, power it on, and the files will be recreated on the sd card.

Corto86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As I understand things: right now I have the Wii U with haxchi with coldboot. I could install Tiramisu instead in order to delete every user and the NNID I'm using for the DS game attached to CHBC. Won't need it anymore. Erase all data to create a new user which will be fresh as the new born. Right ?

Corto86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did it, working well.
Uninstall CBHC, then remove the don't touch me app. Format the Wii U. Only 6 pages remaining. Didn't linked the new user with the old NNID I don't need anymore.
Now I'm installing Tiramisu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, FarCry 5 is an awesome game with multiple endings!