Hardware Is this a dual IPS 3ds?

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, I know you probably get asked that alot, but maybe someone with a trained eye can tell from these pictures:
s-l1600.jpg 2222.jpg

Reactions: Alexander1970

Lenks

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Bottom is TN if you judge the second pic and washed out colors. Upper i can't say for sure but I'm thinking TN because you can make it look even better than that from this frontal view. But it can be IPS. Ask for 3dsident if you can.

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bottom is TN if you judge the second pic and washed out colors. Upper i can't say for sure but I'm thinking TN because you can make it look even better than that from this frontal view. But it can be IPS. Ask for 3dsident if you can.
Seller showed me a few more pictures left one is the one he offers that claims its ips and right tn
Its kinda weird from the one of the side view it legit looks just like a tn or am I wrong?
3dsIdent is not possible sadly.
asdf.jpgaaaa.jpg

Attachments

• asdf.jpg
    asdf.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 274

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure you can use the 3dsident homebrew to check what type of panels you have
edit I am blind as this is not a valid option

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pretty sure you can use the 3dsident homebrew to check what type of panels you have
edit I am blind as this is not a valid option
Problem is, that someone is sending me these pictures because he wants to sell this console.
I don't think he will hack it to run 3dsident :rofl:

Lenks

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Yep both TN i was going through changing my TN to IPS a month ago so kind of have an eye for it. BTW the difference it's not really really huge, both screens have ghosting on extreme 3d, it's a little better on IPS but for me the 3D effect is better on the TN screen. Also in normal gaming i wasn't "blown away" by the difference. :)

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yep both TN i was going through changing my TN to IPS a month ago so kind of have an eye for it. BTW the difference it's not really really huge, both screens have ghosting on extreme 3d, it's a little better on IPS but for me the 3D effect is better on the TN screen. Also in normal gaming i wasn't "blown away" by the difference. :)
Okay so I'll pass this. The left one probably didnt have the Energysaving mode activated atleast thats what it looks like.
I'm playing with 3d on max only, because I love it so damn hard.
I already have 2 and if the experience was game changing with an IPS screen I'd consider getting one.

RhizoidX

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I have the Pikachu New 3DS XL that's obviously only TN. Also the Majora's Mask edition that's top IPS and bottom TN. Both N.American region.

Pardon the hijacking of the thread but I'd like to ask...
I recently ordered a brand new UK/EU model of the Hyrule edition which is on its way in the mail. Any idea how likely it will he Dual IPS? It'll arrive next week.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok, I'm going to post some media featuring how the difference looks like side by side in the clearest way possible.

Here's a video I took showcasing a Majora's Mask 3DS that has Top-IPS Bottom-TN and a Dual TN 3DS side by side, both at max brigthness setting, power save mode turned off and auto-brightness dissabled, focus specially on the Internet Bar at the top left:

0:00 - 0:17 is the Dual TN 3DS
0:17 - 0:30 Top IPS 3DS

You can see immediatly the change in contrast when viewed from the top, also the colors are more vibrant on the IPS screen.

0:30 - A multi-angle view of both screens side by side to have a clearer idea on what the difference is between the two types of screen.

And some photos:

IPS is Left, TN is Right

Zoomed in contrasty areas
20200519_160839.jpg 20200519_160845.jpg

Side by Side from various angles
20200519_161203.jpg 20200519_161213.jpg 20200519_161232.jpg

Side by Side from top angle
20200519_161245.jpg

So in conclussion, judging by your photos, the top is defenitely an IPS screen, as it maintains its colors vibrant when viewed from a side angle, a TN would immediatly wash out the colors at the minor angle change.

Last edited by DSoryu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: Hyrule Warriors legends