Hacking Homebrew It's not over! - 3DS Softbrick help needed

AliceCE

Rookie 3DS Homebrew Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to successfully restore my SysNand backup i created before uninstalling my cfw. The only problem is that the home menu still wont load, Rosalina works fine, as does pretty much every part of the OS besides the home menu. So, to finally wrap this whole shitshow up...

How do i fix the Black Screen of Death?
(Aka, home menu not loading, wifi light flashing irregularly)

Reactions: Nightcat

AliceCE

Rookie 3DS Homebrew Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that's not it, i just got onto a bus while my 3ds was in my pocket and when i opened it up it said "card removed". Didn't modify anything at all to cause this.

I was playing Monster Manor in the Mii Plaza app, in the middle of the gameplay loop where you get pieces.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't boot to the home menu at all and you can't access either Luma3DS or GodMode9 (since you've removed CFW), then there's no other option than Ntrboot.
Also you say that you can access Rosalina? How so? 'cause if you've removed cfw completely from the system Rosalina couldn't be accessed afterwards, without installing cfw all over again..

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you have a Home menu theme installed?

Yup. doesn't work, just fails to load a firmware file and shuts down immediately, copying luma's firm to sysnand doesn't do the trick either
Can you be more precise here? Do you get the flashing blue light? Is there any kind of error message when you copy Luma to sysnand?

AliceCE

Rookie 3DS Homebrew Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't boot to the home menu at all and you can't access either Luma3DS or GodMode9 (since you've removed CFW), then there's no other option than Ntrboot.
Also you say that you can access Rosalina? How so? 'cause if you've removed cfw completely from the system Rosalina couldn't be accessed afterwards, without installing cfw all over again..
Okay. Let me explain this all in order.

1. The initial incident. The 3ds crashes on the bus and upon trying to reboot it, the home menu doesn't load and i get the flashing wifi light of death.
2 I make a SysNand backup.
3. I uninstall my CFW.
4. I preform NTRBoot and restore my SysNand backup made before i uninstalled the CFW from my 3ds.
5. I am back at step 1. I have everything i had before uninstalling my CFW. Luma, GM9, the works.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. Let me explain this all in order.

1. The initial incident. The 3ds crashes on the bus and upon trying to reboot it, the home menu doesn't load and i get the flashing wifi light of death.
2 I make a SysNand backup.
3. I uninstall my CFW.
4. I preform NTRBoot and restore my SysNand backup made before i uninstalled the CFW from my 3ds.
5. I am back at step 1. I have everything i had before uninstalling my CFW. Luma, GM9, the works.
Okay.. Can you boot into recovery mode with the button combo? If so, update the system from there.
I would also suggest opening up your 3ds and re-seating the WiFi chip if you think that's the one causing it all of this.
If it's still doesn't work then you should try ctrtransfer. Just in the off-chance your home menu or system files were somehow corrupted, this should be able to fix that.

AliceCE

Rookie 3DS Homebrew Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did it work after you used the nand flash?
If you mean the CFW, yes, i have full access to GodMode9, the Chainloader, Luma, Etc. System Update mode works too, as does the Home Menu Management Data eraser, which i've ran a few times in a futile attempt to fix the home menu, No dice with it, sadly.
if you mean the Home Menu, nope...

AliceCE

Rookie 3DS Homebrew Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay.. Can you boot into recovery mode with the button combo? If so, update the system from there.
I would also suggest opening up your 3ds and re-seating the WiFi chip if you think that's the one causing it all of this.
If it's still doesn't work then you should try ctrtransfer. Just in the off-chance your home menu or system files were somehow corrupted, this should be able to fix that.
1) Yes, yes i can, but i'm on the latest FW so i can't fix it using that.
2) No way! I'm absolutely terrible with device internals! and i don't think that's it anyways, since the time offset and the recovery mode don't complain about the wifi.
3) Will this wipe any memory on either the SD or the Nand? I want to make sure my game saves and homebrew stay safe. (and i'm a little against waiting 2 hours for my shitty, slow microsd to finish backing up on my PC right now. If i do that, it'll be because i'm switching from my 16 gig to my 32 gig cart.)

Reactions: ZeroT21 and Pin1988

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Yes, yes i can, but i'm on the latest FW so i can't fix it using that.
It can still redo the firmware update even if it's on the latest fw. Worth a try!
2) No way! I'm absolutely terrible with device internals! and i don't think that's it anyways, since the time offset and the recovery mode don't complain about the wifi.
You can never be sure with these things.. Also reseating the Wifi Chip is easy, no soldering or anything special required..
3) Will this wipe any memory on either the SD or the Nand? I want to make sure my game saves and homebrew stay safe. (and i'm a little against waiting 2 hours for my shitty, slow microsd to finish backing up on my PC right now. If i do that, it'll be because i'm switching from my 16 gig to my 32 gig cart.)
Yes and no. The "Nintendo 3DS" folder that's inside the sd card, contains all your installed games and saves (that weren't backed up with Checkpoint), will be unusable after performing CTRTransfer. But if you have backed up your saves before, it wouldn't be problem as you can restore them any time you want. Though you still have to re-download/install those games again afterwards.
You can get decrypt saves but i have no experience with the process personally, though i know that you'll need the Movable.Sed/db files, and some other files so you need to backup those first if you want to attempt doing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wii loads are problematic sometimes I feel like they just get stuck and you gotta switch ports