Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How does I hacks teh PSP?

Kidding.

Anyways, my question is about custom firmware, of sorts. I was wondering if there was an "universally" accepted cfw to be at? It seems later cfw (after 5.0, it seems) fails at allowing you to play PSX games through Poploader, or so. Since playing PSX games was mainly what I want to do with the hacked PSP (which seens to work wonders in the 3.- area), I was wondering if there was a way to have the most up to date cwf, and still play PSX game. A workaround , if you will. as in maybe installing certain cfw in a certain order, or the like.

While we're on topic, I'm actually wondering what official firmware is recommended to be at before hacking the PSP? I have a launch Phat on Official 4.05. Can I flash it from that, or will I have to downgrade to a certain System Firmware?

I have another questions, but it escaped my tongue at the moment, so I'll add it later.

Thanks for any help given.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't know where you head that 5.00 and later have trouble with PSX games and popsloader because I have CFW 5.00 M33-6 and my PSX games run perfectly. and as far as I know I think you need to downgrade to an early firmware but I can't remember whichyou should check out the stickies they have good information.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
5.00 M33-6 has the best PSX compatibility of all CFW....wherever you heard that it had issues with PSX games is not the place you want to get advice from.

Doesn't matter which OFW you're on...you're replacing it from the Memory stick so it's largely irrelevant, although of course where you go to is largely dependent upon the application you're using for the install.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xist said:
5.00 M33-6 has the best PSX compatibility of all CFW....wherever you heard that it had issues with PSX games is not the place you want to get advice from.

Doesn't matter which OFW you're on...you're replacing it from the Memory stick so it's largely irrelevant, although of course where you go to is largely dependent upon the application you're using for the install.

agreed ...never had any issues at all with 5.00 m33-6 with either PSP or PSX games and there's a crap load of others on here that are also on the same firmware too also with no issues
smile.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The easiest way for you wou;d be to upgrade to OFW 5.03, then use ChickHEN to run Hellcat's Recovery Flasher 1.6 to install 5.00m33-6. Don't need to downgrade any more. In fact, if you can get a Pandora battery, that'd be even easier. Then you wouldn't have to upgrade to 5.03 first.

loony747

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, it was a thread on another message board. It's a shady site, so maybe it was started by someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

Anyways, thanks for the information, as soon as I get the Pandora Battery I'll flash.

BTW, my other question:

Is there a certain order to install CFW to gain all the good stuff (as in with the Wii, that the only way to get some homebrew to run is by having a previously homberewed Wii, instead of a virgin)

EDIT: I already ordered a Pandora, so, how does that affect me?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
No..once you have Custom Firmware you're good. Plenty of people here will probably say that you should install the 1.50 kernel since you have a phat PSP but nowadays it's all but worthless.

Also why wait for the Pandora? Just udate to 5.03 and then use the ChickHen to allow you to run homebrew and from there use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to install CFW. No Pandora required!

supermodchips

Trophies
XP
Country
All you really need to do is to follow the guide to get the firmware down to 1.50. This is the easiest firmware to hack and there is a myriad of tutorials that will detail the steps to get the most out of you PSP.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
supermodchips said:
All you really need to do is to follow the guide to get the firmware down to 1.50. This is the easiest firmware to hack and there is a myriad of tutorials that will detail the steps to get the most out of you PSP.

No....that's such an old piece of advice that there are cavemen discussing it. With any of the Magic Memory Stick utilities now available (Rain's tools, DJB's Pandora Deluxe, Hellcat's Recovery Flasher etc...) to use in conjunction with a Pandora you'll end up flashing to at least one of the 5.00M33 versions.

Either wait for your Pandora, make your MMS with one of Rains MMS tools and flash to a 5.00M33 CFW, or use ChickHen and Hellcat's latest Flasher to go to 5.00M33-6.

loony747

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Xist, it seems you're really behind ChickHen and Hellcat's RF.

Could you PM me a link to a guide, so I can read on it, and decide myself? I had never heard of it until now.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seen as it is now about 3am in the UK it would likely be a few hours before xist gets back to you.

The reason people are suggesting chickHEN is because it is that easy/foolproof (pandora might require to think at one stage, this will not) and it can be done with minimal hardware/effort: pandora requires a modded battery and a given size range of memory stick while chickHEN and beyond can be done with a 32 meg stick (in fact I did it with one).

The theory is that there is a problem with the PSP kernels reading of tiff images although 5.03 is the only one to have a worked exploit presently available hence having to update to 5.03 (note there is 5.50 for which the exploit will not work).

Once there (on indeed before if you fancy getting it all done at once) you get some of the specially crafted pictures on your memory card. You try to look at them from the menu and the PSP will load up the HEN firmware, this can take a bit of time to get working properly so just reset and try again if it does not work at first. When it does work your screen will go all funny colours and in the system info it will say it is running a HEN.
There are a few things people try to make it more reliable, personally I just reset the entire settings if it fails more than a few times) and the PSP crashes and loads the HEN (homebrew enabler) firmware.
This HEN is only a temporary softmod (it works by patching the ram) and indeed it is as far as the PSP3000 and the "unhackable" PSP2000s can go at present. It will be lost on power down but as firmware installers (like hellcats) are homebrew well I am sure you get where that is going.
Note for others while loony747 has a hackable PSP you may not and installing a CFW permanently on an unhackable PSP2000 (or 3000) will probably brick the PSP (list here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=183671 ), you can use http://www.psp-hacks.com/2009/05/08/pspident-04-released/ to tell what your PSP has.

Quick and dirty glossary.
CFW: custom firmware, most people use the CFW from team m33. They are hacked versions of the official firmware.

HEN: homebrew enabler. This has changed from older systems and not it is a custom firmware that is not written to the NAND (onboard memory) of the PSP but needs to be loaded every time.

OFW: official firmware that Sony makes. 5.03 is the only one that works for the chickHEN method.

PSP 1000: the name of the original model of PSP (aka fat/phat PSP), 2000 is the slim and 3000 is the one with a new screen. All PSP 1000s can use a CFW, a fair few older 2000s and no 3000s can. You can however use chickHEN on all PSPs provided you are on 5.03 firmware.
Related to this is the motherboard number usually TA-0?? sometimes with a v?? at the end that more accurately detail what models can be hacked, details here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=183671

Pandora battery: perhaps misnamed depending on who you speak to but for most it is the generic term covering modified batteries for the PSP that put it in service mode. You can make one with software if you have a compatible modded PSP or you have make one by desoldering some pins inside the battery or you can just buy one instead.

Tools of the trade:
5.03 update:
http://pspslimhacks.com/chickhen-released-...ew-on-all-psps/ (do a page search for PSP Firmware 5.03)
chickHEN R2. I suggest an easy installer, note this is for the phat/PSP 1000 only there are many easy installers for the later models.
http://downloads.exophase.com/508/chickhen...aller-for-phat/

From here your CFW installer of choice, hellcats is a good choice.
http://pspupdates.qj.net/Hellcat-s-Recover...g/49/aid/131752

You will probably need a copy of the so called 500.pbp if this is the first time (it is), not sure if I can link this one (I am assuming yes) but I will skip it anyway. It is not like it is hard to find.
25.8 MB (27,106,965 bytes)
CRC32 = 4300388C
MD5= 60AA0356D4C66F589B71CFC9ABC08713
SHA1 = CBD6C11B3C527E9B2878FFD07A307367A0FAC097 (I do not know of any fakes but hey).

Note hellcats will likely install the M33 team's 5.00 m33-4 firmware, we are now up to r6 (5.00 m33-6) but that is a simple network update away: unless you tell it otherwise (in the recovery menu (hold R on boot*) you will not update from Sony's servers.

*you might also want to enter the recovery menu and add some tweaks like skipping the sony logo, using a no UMD "driver" (probably want this one regardless) and whatever else takes your fancy.

In contrast the only thing pandora has over this is the ability to do it to a PSP in 5.50 firmware (well any firmware for that matter) and that it is fairly sure to work "first time" while you may have to reset the PSP a few times to get chickHEN to work.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
The reason people I suggesting chickHEN is because it is that easy/foolproof (pandora might require to think at one stage, this will not)
you mean where you have to press X to install CFW and [] for official?
wink.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
loony747 said:
Thank you, Fast. Your wording was a bit hard to follow at times, but I seem to get the gist of it.

Yeah I saw that when I just read it (I will use the cop-out that it was also 3am when I was writing it), tweaked a few things that should make it a bit easier.

Tikker said:
QUOTE(FAST6191 @ May 29 2009, 08:08 PM) The reason people I suggesting chickHEN is because it is that easy/foolproof (pandora might require to think at one stage, this will not)
you mean where you have to press X to install CFW and [] for official?
wink.gif

I was thinking more along the lines of making a magic memory stick (OK I know that is fire and forget with a decent app these days) but yeah I agree that was probably a bit off.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
And as i keep reiterating, ChickHen plus Recovery Flasher doesn't need anything more than your own PSP. Why acquire more hardware than absolutely necessary? Although it's probably a nice idea to Pandora-ise your own battery via ChickHen and OSPBT if you have a mobo that supports the soft mod.

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
loony747 said:
How does I hacks teh PSP?

Kidding.

Anyways, my question is about custom firmware, of sorts. I was wondering if there was an "universally" accepted cfw to be at? It seems later cfw (after 5.0, it seems) fails at allowing you to play PSX games through Poploader, or so. Since playing PSX games was mainly what I want to do with the hacked PSP (which seens to work wonders in the 3.- area), I was wondering if there was a way to have the most up to date cwf, and still play PSX game. A workaround , if you will. as in maybe installing certain cfw in a certain order, or the like.

While we're on topic, I'm actually wondering what official firmware is recommended to be at before hacking the PSP? I have a launch Phat on Official 4.05. Can I flash it from that, or will I have to downgrade to a certain System Firmware?

I have another questions, but it escaped my tongue at the moment, so I'll add it later.

Thanks for any help given.

Flash the most recent M33, M33 5.00-6 i think it is and then install the Popsloader plugin from Dark-Alex's website.
I've had no trouble with this whatsoever, at the moment i'm playing FF8 multidisc and no problems with it at all
tongue.gif

loony747

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks.

Let's talk bricks.

Using either method, what are the chances of it bricking my PSP, either due to some sort of malfunction, or just my stupidity?

If it bricks, how can I unbrick it? I'm guessing some sort of NAND backup, as with BootmIi and the Wii, but what do I need to make a NAND for the PSP? (Sorry at using NAND, since the term may be different for the PSP, but it's the one thing i can think of)

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
loony747 said:
Alright, thanks.

Let's talk bricks.

Using either method, what are the chances of it bricking my PSP, either due to some sort of malfunction, or just my stupidity?

If it bricks, how can I unbrick it? I'm guessing some sort of NAND backup, as with BootmIi and the Wii, but what do I need to make a NAND for the PSP? (Sorry at using NAND, since the term may be different for the PSP, but it's the one thing i can think of)

You can/could backup your NAND but not many people do if they are Modding with a PANDORA its pretty safe as its used for Unbricking too
smile.gif

tip to remember is CHARGE your battery to 100%

and when its flashing don't let the battery fall out or come loose it only takes a few minutes to flash so hold it in securely with your hand until its completed
smile.gif

I would say the majority of PSP bricks happen when the battery falls out mid flash!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PSP bricks are (theoretically) relatively easy to fix. Most bricks can be fixed with a Pandora Battery and an MMS with DCv8 on it, occasionaly you will need a NAND backup, but that's very rare, especially now DCv8 can regenerate IDStorage. So if you go for the Pandora method, if you brick just try again. With the Hellcat's RF method, if you brick, you'll need to get a Pandora Battery and MMS. BTW, you can backup your NAND easily in each process, it's an option in both Hellcat's RF and DCv8 (Which is the tool booted from MMS by Pandora Battery), and should be done before and after installing CFW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop trying to make on my cakes