JXD S7800? Seems like a pretty obscure device.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this on slick deals, is this site legit? Apparently, the B model is more than half off, http://dx.com/p/jxd-s7800-7-capacit...ndheld-game-console-black-255065#.UxLl8fldV8E

Can I even trust that? It's sold out for the moment, but can I trust that place?

DX is fine but that price was a screw up like 2 months ago and for some reason has never been pulled down :( A few people did actually get them at that price.

If you get one swap out the firmware with this one.

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/s7800b-supercharged-v2-0-oc-reparted-ext2int-cwm-mrktfix/

I will let you know as soon as I get mine how it is... lol

I ordered mine from Dino Direct about a week ago so wish me luck! (138 dollars shipped.)

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DX is fine but that price was a screw up like 2 months ago and for some reason has never been pulled down :( A few people did actually get them at that price.

If you get one swap out the firmware with this one.

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/s7800b-supercharged-v2-0-oc-reparted-ext2int-cwm-mrktfix/

I will let you know as soon as I get mine how it is... lol

I ordered mine from Dino Direct about a week ago so wish me luck! (138 dollars shipped.)

Figures it was a weird price, and it's nice to have custom firmware, there's so many sites I see them on for, I just don't want to get screwed (as in, paying but not getting it shipped out) ;) You're getting one? Nice!

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its been sold out for months now, very few people got it at that price, many people just got cancellation emails

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Figures it was a weird price, and it's nice to have custom firmware, there's so many sites I see them on for, I just don't want to get screwed (as in, paying but not getting it shipped out) ;) You're getting one? Nice!

Edit: That firmware only leads to a nonexistent download. All I'm getting is a link to a download manager.

Weird all the links I found lead me to Multiupload and I am downloading the OC kernals and 2.0 version now... (I wanted to check since you said they don't work lol)

Edit: Also yeah I am but I did go for the free shipping so it might be a few weeks lol

Edit 2: Just be warned the 2.0 is 406 MB's lol eeek!!! The other 2 files are pretty small like 19MB's and 5MB's.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its been sold out for months now, very few people got it at that price, many people just got cancellation emails

There are other sites I can check out, so it's no biggie :P

Weird all the links I found lead me to Multiupload and I am downloading the OC kernals and 2.0 version now... (I wanted to check since you said they don't work lol)

Edit: Also yeah I am but I did go for the free shipping so it might be a few weeks lol

Edit 2: Just be warned the 2.0 is 406 MB's lol eeek!!! The other 2 files are pretty small like 19MB's and 5MB's.

Yeah, sorry, I finally found the file, didn't take too long to download (then again, it's 1:40 AM, so traffic isn't bad at all lol). Thanks again for your, well, everyone's help :D I'll keep sniffing around, I want something like this, it'd be pretty sweet :P

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you considered the Nvdia Shield? Although it's double the price, you get better build quality and power.

Also look into the GPD G5a. It has Skelton and Tincore (dingoonity community) backing it up with software.

I know about the nVidia shield, it's kind of a steep price for my budget whereas the S7800 is well within it, but that's just me. Never heard of the other systems though, and I want to avoid, if possible, any device that has a low-res screen, this makes Snes or anything that emulates 480p impossible. The GPD G5a does look pretty cool, but I don't know much about it, or even if I can trust these retailers, you know?

I've heard stories about these being held at US customs for a period of time.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear they're going to release a G5A+ with 2GB ram and IPS screen. I'm personally going to wait for that one.

I also recommend reading around the dingoonity forums. Great place for open handheld enthusiasts

http://boards.dingoonity.org/index.php#c9

Yeah, I heard about that too, might be the better route to go, and maybe join the site to see what I can learn and what my options are with open handheld devices. Seems like the route to go. I was gonna get a flashcard for my DS lite, but now with this, there are many possibilities :D An intro thread would be prudent of me I'm sure.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this interview with GPD. The G5a+ will be released in June and it'll also have the RK3288 CPU.

June? Dang, that seems like quite a ways away and you know that I uh, lack patience in waiting :rofl2: I might take the plunge and get the normal G5A soon-ish, they also have the G7 (I heard the d-pad was worse), ugh, I hate deciding which of the two I want lol, this or the S7800, since the latter has a bigger IPS LCD on it :D Know much about the battery life on the G5A? Coincidentally, I've heard that some people's units get held up in US customs and fined accordingly for long periods of time, I don't want that to happen, or even have the device fail after a month of use.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno which to get either. Also considering this although it's not even announced yet:

It looks very comfortable and nice.

Awesome, so many cool devices for homebrew stuff, I like it! The GA5 looks like the best of both worlds, powerful for emulation on-the-go, not too big and not too small. Plus very affordable!

Question about the forums over there, I made a topic but so far no one has answered my questions about their products, like shipping and overall product reliability, are the people just punks and ignore newbies? How do I guarantee getting a response should I make a thread over there?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I'm just a lurker there. :unsure:

Anyway, I'm leaning towards G5A because it's getting support by the community and GPD. Software support is very important with these devices because the stock firmware that is included is usually crap.

Oh, you're fine, I wasn't sure how active the forums were :D No worries! Anyway, so there's custom firmware that makes it better than the default one it comes with? I wonder if Netflix would work on this or not since it uses Silverlight B-) Still kinda wary about Chinese handhelds, but this model seems to be well supported like you said, definitely a good sign!

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, since it's android you can flash different firmware software (called ROMs) that include tweaks/fixes/speedups. Like this LegacyROM.
I'm worried about build quality/reliability too. Reviews say its good (except for the noisy D-Pad) though. But with Chinese devices it may break early.

That last bit, yeah, I mean, sure, I want a nice Android device for emulation since there are many good emulators on there, but I hope I get a response on those forums. Is that LegacyROM a good one to use?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Metal_Gear +1