Hacking Kernel Panic after Shutting Down Linux and Booting into Orbis

bbqtool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm running 6.72 on a PS4 Pro 1TB (CUH-7102B). I'm using "darkmoddervc PS4JB" to run HEN and boot into Catjaro Linux from a USB stick. I have absolutely no issues booting into Linux. The only problem I have is shutting down from Linux. If I try to reboot into Orbis from Catjaro, I can run HEN+Exploit sometimes but mostly get a kernel panic immediately. (if not, it doesn't take long) If I try to boot into Linux again, it'll kernal panic straight away. So for it to work again, I need to try and boot Linux again, let it kernal panic, unplug the PS4, plug it back in, turn it on and have it go to the "checking system storage" screen in the PS4 boot sequence. Then it is stable again and has no issues.

I was wondering if there was a way to have it boot into Linux again from Orbis after shutting down? That or is there an easier way to boot to the "checking system storage" screen from Orbis?

Last edited by bbqtool,

bbqtool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I found my own solution to this issue. Whenever I make changes to my setup that refines it, I will edit this post. On the off-chance that someone googles this topic and this thread comes up, it might be helpful. Basically to avoid the KP after booting back into Orbis, you need to shutdown Linux via the menu, then power off the console completely. It needs to be unplugged. You can then power the PS4 back on and boot into Orbis. I don't get kernel panics anymore after I found a method which works for me and never had it crash after successfully enabling the JB. The worst that can happen is "the jailbreak has failed" error (I've had it happen twice) and I just reset the PS4 after that. This is what I'm doing:

1. USB port 1, empty. USB port 2 has a USB hub with a USB stick that has Linux connected to it with another USB drive which has pkg files and roms. (I don't run PS4 games from a USB drive, I just install them straight to the PS4)

2. I have my PS4 connected to a wifi powerboard (https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Power-Strip-TP-Link/dp/B07G95FFN3) which I use with google home and has a few other things plugged into it which I power on/off with voice activation. This is optional but it saves me from going behind the TV and unplugging my PS4 and plugging it back in again when it was KPing all the time.

3. I don't use the browser at all and my cache/cookies are clear from the get go. I installed my JB menu to my user guide with an ESP8266. You can get them on aliexpress for less than $2 and you only need to use it once. There are .bin files on this board and Modded_Warfare has a guide to set it up this way:

I currently use darkmodder's menu for 6.72 because the Linux payload works everytime but you can use PS-Phive just the same. The bin file for it is on this board.

To use the JB:

1. Open the user guide and run it as per usual.

2. Always shut the PS4 down properly through the menu.

3. I tell my wifi powerboard to unplug the PS4 and plug it back in after every time I shut down using google home (The powerboard has an app as well to do this from your phone) from either Orbis or Linux.

Since using this method, I have not had a KP once and I use my PS4 almost every day. Until a better method is created, I am very happy with this setup.

I hope this comes to help anyone in the future.

Last edited by bbqtool,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3