L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,
D

Deleted User

Retroarch crashes on startup and trying to do so through terminal returns
SEGMENTATION FAULT (core dumped)

Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, changing things in the cfg file. Nothings working.

I've reflashed my SD and started fresh, it still segfaults, I've not yet got it running on the switch.
Followed the ubuntu compilation docs on libretro
I did a test run on a VM which works fine

D

Deleted User

That's... really strange.

I mean, I had it working, I just started changing settings trying to get handheld mode to have the same performance I was seeing in docked mode.

Strange.... very strange indeed.

D

Deleted User

I know dude, I'm stumped and trying not to whimper for help about it
I'm gonna try making a swapfile and if that doesn't work I'll put it aside for a bit, there's other emulators I can get my fill with in the meantime

Torrey187

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's... really strange.

I mean, I had it working, I just started changing settings trying to get handheld mode to have the same performance I was seeing in docked mode.

Strange.... very strange indeed.
I can give this a try at home when I’m out of work if you want. And see if the same happens for me.

D

Deleted User

I can give this a try at home when I’m out of work if you want. And see if the same happens for me.
Please do, i'd appreciate it.

I was using stock speeds, but it's strange how it was so perfect in docked, but easily 15% speed in handheld. Figure that's some settings I missed, cus folks are playing frigging gamecube games in handheld mode.

D

Deleted User

Yeah dolphin for me is pretty good, it's not quite fullspeed on what little games I own but then I'm not using ishiruka (yet) and of course people are saying it's faster
With little to no configuration handheld mode is fine for me, it's just this one hurdle I'm lacking the smarts to get past.

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Bug reports

- usb hub (rh 888) doesn't work (with dock)
- usb harddisk spins but not detected (with dock)
- dnscrypt can't be installed. I suspect its because the Linux network system automatically use dnscrypt before it can acquire the initial certs/settings. Because right after dnscrypt got installed, all dns request can't be resolved. Despite in the network setting its not using dnscrypt yet

Correction. Usb hdd works when plugged to the bottom USB.

EDIT:

cant install VLC

sudo snap install vlc
[sudo] password for raden:
error: system does not fully support snapd: cannot mount squashfs image using
"squashfs": mount: /tmp/sanity-mountpoint-351562362: unknown filesystem
type 'squashfs'.

Last edited by orangpelupa,

v311403

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried cross compiling the kernel using just the following in the linux-switch repo on the switch-dev branch:

export ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-
make nintendo_switch_defconfig
make dtbs
make -j93

It worked but the image was only 24M compared to your 27M and didn't boot. I read your instructions before but not sure what you mean for us to do with the manifest file. Is the linux-switch repo not a self contained repo? I imagine one needs to overlay repos or build using some kind of l4t script/toolchain? Sorry, but I haven't worked with l4t before. Would be interested in contributing. Thanks.

Reactions: iotdevnet

Qubarf

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Guys, has anybody installed Qjoypad yet?
Several people have asked this and little to no help has been given.
If i could use the joy-cons to control the mouse would help so much for the portability factor, thank you!

Reactions: crow132

iwillbyte

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have spent some time trying to get Ishiiruka's Vulkan option to show up in the graphics settings but it is stuck on OpenGL. I have compiled it a few times in different ways and reinstalled L4T in-between and can't think of anything else to try. Any ideas? Btw, this is an awesome project and can't wait to see where it goes from here!

It is compiled with everything looking right except for the 'Backend' dropdown only having the one option.

Edit: I used my Android device as a mouse and I was able to select "Vulkan (experimental)"! Thank you Felipe_9595 for telling me about DroidMote.

Last edited by iwillbyte,

bylaws

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Managed to break it attempting to install moonlight. Was probably something I did to be honest my linux skills are non-exsistent.

Tried to install it from the repo provided by moonlight got a "cant install snap store cant support snapd/ linux can't mount image squashfs image using squashfs mount" error. Then installed snap (seemingly worked fine) and then tried to install moonlight again and got the same error. Restarted L4T and now switch hangs on a black screen before resetting back to RCM.

Might format the SD card and try again, make sure it's not something I've missed. Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Also, not sure if this is a known error but I got no touchpad popup when using the browser, this was the only place that it happened.

European version or NTSC? All rips I seem to be able to get are NTSC.

And let me ask, since alot will probs ask too. How did you overclock to 1.7?

Edit: Oh, I just had an idea! Is there a way we can get the devices IP address printed to the taskbar up the top of the screen? It would be REALLY handy for those folks who wish to SSH and FTP to the switch, and ip's change whenever you go elsewhere, and sometimes just because.
Read info section.
It's in WiFi menu iirc.
Correction. Usb hdd works when plugged to the bottom USB.

EDIT:

cant install VLC

sudo snap install vlc
[sudo] password for raden:
error: system does not fully support snapd: cannot mount squashfs image using
"squashfs": mount: /tmp/sanity-mountpoint-351562362: unknown filesystem
type 'squashfs'.
Don't use snnaps
I tried cross compiling the kernel using just the following in the linux-switch repo on the switch-dev branch:

export ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-
make nintendo_switch_defconfig
make dtbs
make -j93

It worked but the image was only 24M compared to your 27M and didn't boot. I read your instructions before but not sure what you mean for us to do with the manifest file. Is the linux-switch repo not a self contained repo? I imagine one needs to overlay repos or build using some kind of l4t script/toolchain? Sorry, but I haven't worked with l4t before. Would be interested in contributing. Thanks.
Look back a bit in post, I gave how to do it.the defconfig name is different aswell

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
If you guys wanna have a better input method in the meanwhile, I recommend using DroidMote, works flawlessly with almost 0 lag

Kolyasisan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I feel that my reply has been completely missed, so I will post it again.

Strangely, can't get it to boot on my switch. The installer never shows, the screen is just completely black. Tried multiple times with different image burning tools, ensured to give it plenty of time to boot.

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Strangely, can't get it to boot on my switch. The installer never shows, the screen is just completely black. Tried multiple times with different image burning tools, ensured to give it plenty of time to boot.
Your reply is probably being ignored because the issue you are having has already been reported here.

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

Did you apply the 1.1 update before booting? OP says there are SD card compatibilities issues without it

NazoKermit

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
New to this and I cannot get wine because it says I'm not connected to the internet. Also, I can't get dolphin because I guess I'm just stupid and it's really finicky.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For qjoypad you open the terminal and type

sudo apt-get update -y and hit enter

then this

sudo apt-get install -y qjoypad and hit enter

then to configure it, make sure your joycons are paired, then in the terminal type

qjoypad --notray and hit enter

A controller icon will appear, click on it to configure the controllers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1