Let's say it again, most people use this website for the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
When I type "gbatemp.net" into the address bar, I except to get thrown straight into the forums, but instead I get thrown on the "customizable" homepage. There is nothing customizable about it. The only thing that isn't just admin-promoted posts is your own notes, so I set the notes to link straight to the forums. However, I still have the huge "newsfeed" banner LOCKED on the top of the page and there's no way to either put it to the bottom or permanently remove it, as I do not care about it and it just distracts me from the forums.

If I actually cared about the admins' personal opinions, I would click on the "news and announcements" forums and read the threads on there.

Let's say it again: This is a site where you can discuss Nintendo products, and get advice on homebrew as it is the biggest forum that allows this stuff.
If I wanted Nintendo news, I would read the DOZENS of other websites that repeat and milk the same exact message. Even a small, "stability" FW update has like 50 articles the second it releases. No need to add a 51st and shove it in my face. I already know.

Stop trying to repurpose this website to something else by shoving stuff in people's faces. Make a subdomain like "news.gbatemp.net" with this stuff for the people that are interested in it.

Also, STOP pushing "TempStyle n+1" on people that want to use older TempStyles. I never wanted to use 3.2, as I was used to 3, yet here I am using that. You'd expect the "theme" button to let you select "TempStyle Legacy" or something, instead it is just a dark/light theme selection.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Being a condescending knob is more than enough of a reason. It's unproductive being the way you are. Wasting time and effort on something so trivial as trying to change the way the entire website works to cater to literally ONE person. Why you made this thread is mind boggling. The fact you did, and are acting the way you do is just a testament to you as a person. Seriously, reflect on your life and person.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: DinohScene

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I type "gbatemp.net" into the address bar, I except to get thrown straight into the forums, but instead I get thrown on the "customizable" homepage. There is nothing customizable about it. The only thing that isn't just admin-promoted posts is your own notes, so I set the notes to link straight to the forums. However, I still have the huge "newsfeed" banner LOCKED on the top of the page and there's no way to either put it to the bottom or permanently remove it, as I do not care about it and it just distracts me from the forums.

If I actually cared about the admins' personal opinions, I would click on the "news and announcements" forums and read the threads on there.

Let's say it again: This is a site where you can discuss Nintendo products, and get advice on homebrew as it is the biggest forum that allows this stuff.
If I wanted Nintendo news, I would read the DOZENS of other websites that repeat and milk the same exact message. Even a small, "stability" FW update has like 50 articles the second it releases. No need to add a 51st and shove it in my face. I already know.

Stop trying to repurpose this website to something else by shoving stuff in people's faces. Make a subdomain like "news.gbatemp.net" with this stuff for the people that are interested in it.

Also, STOP pushing "TempStyle n+1" on people that want to use older TempStyles. I never wanted to use 3.2, as I was used to 3, yet here I am using that. You'd expect the "theme" button to let you select "TempStyle Legacy" or something, instead it is just a dark/light theme selection.
At the very least I wish the site would allow us to stop videos from playing automatically as you scroll past them. It’s easily the most annoying feature

Reactions: Kioku

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I type "gbatemp.net" into the address bar, I expect to get thrown straight into the forums
Your expectation is what's at fault here, as your expectation is not in line with how the site has ever behaved.
If I type "gbatemp.net" into the address bar I correctly expect to find myself on the homepage.

I wish this site had more competent and open-minded administrators, and less entitled people who think that this site is the perfect thing ever created and any suggestion for change is treated as heresy.
There's nothing wrong with how the site behaves - everything works as expected. Regardless of any claims of competency against any member here, to expect the site to behave in a way that suits you rather than the way it has always worked is the epitomy of 'entitled behaviour'.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay. Now, say ONE WAY that would unlocking the top panel on the homepage hurt any user on this website.
If this thing is bothering you so much… (a lot of staff in the thread – I hope this one is okay to post here – else remove it):

gbatemp.net###featured_container
I love the site and use it daily. I love it so much that I support it with money. This makes me feel better when doing things like this ↑↑↑↑
I don't agree with every single aspect… still it is no your site, it is not my site and it won't be adjusted around one person's personal preferences.

Reactions: Nikokaro

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You have literally denied every single one of my suggestions posted here. Why do I need the huge image panel LOCKED ON THE TOP OF THE HOMEPAGE. Letting people move/remove it would literally harm nobody, as the people who want it there would keep it there and others would remove it.

I wish this site had more competent and open-minded administrators, and less entitled people who think that this site is the perfect thing ever created and any suggestion for change is treated as heresy.
We are not against implementing user suggestions. In fact I'm quite proud of how much we take user feedback into consideration. Many times we have made changes based on user feedback, that's what this particular forum is for. But you must simply understand that when you are demanding changes that only seem to benefit you, don't be surprised if they're not taken seriously, especially when you use a condescending tone and then insult the staff.

Maybe next time you should gather feedback from other members and see if they also agree with your suggestions and get some weight behind your idea.

Coming in guns blazing and demanding huge overhauls to the site to appease your own personal preference is simply ludicrous.

icogniito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've been lurking on this site for almost 10 years now, this is how it's been the entire time. Nothings changed. I (and i'm probably not alone on this) would most likely stop using the site if we ever lost the front page as its a great way to keep up on news about stuff the forum usually talks about. Combining scene news, general gaming developments and reviews in one place like this works perfectly.

Also coming in guns blazing and throwing shade on the admins is a shurefire way to not get your suggestions listened to.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
I like the homepage, it's where I go for news that relates to things GBATempers are interested in.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I like the homepage, it more or less gives me want I want which is some news, the odd review and the recent forum posts.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At the very least I wish the site would allow us to stop videos from playing automatically as you scroll past them. It’s easily the most annoying feature
Try this: Click on your name (top right of the screen). Click on Preferences. Go down to GBAtemp Options, and check "Disable affiliate videos" It should help.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this: Click on your name (top right of the screen). Click on Preferences. Go down to GBAtemp Options, and check "Disable affiliate videos" It should help.
Most def thanks! Will that also stop the random youtube videos?Like ones from homepage articles or random threads.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most def thanks! Will that also stop the random youtube videos?Like ones from homepage articles or random threads.
Youtube videos don't autoplay for me, even on Youtube itself. Something I did setting up my browser, probably.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I think it is literally just 1 parameter in the code to unlock it.
Changing the way an entire page works isn't necessarily as simple as "1 parameter in the code". It's even worse when you assume something is so simple to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: grilled lol