Hardware lets talk about the Wii Mini

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I'm not trying to rag on anyone, but it's entirely gormless to say composite is better than component. That needs to be packed up and shipped up right now. There is a solid reason component cables for the Gamecube are such a hot commodity. Interlaced vs progressive isn't even a discussion anymore and definitely shouldn't be in 2014. If component looks bad on your TV, your TV is rubbish.

Anyway, back to my original point, the Wii Mini is worse in every way. The tone in the OP is also somewhat odd too. He says the reviews are way off, then lists the cons the reviews gave them and says they aren't issues...to him. That sounds...weird. They're not edge case cons, they're specific cons against a system that was made to be a budget console for people who play dancing games and fitness games exclusively – maybe.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One cannot compare CRT to modern HDTV. For starter CRT has scanline effect which hides video imperfection. Many retro-gamers use scanline generator when they play it on modern HDTV to simulate that effect.

Anyway it seems OP prefers blurs from composite over pixelated video from component. Quite rare preference as most people prefer the other way around.

As far as interlaced vs progressive, the only instance I choose interlaced over progressive is when dealing with PS2. I actually hooked up my PS2 to XRGB-Mini via JP-21 SCART, and PS2 does RGsB (sync on green) when in 480p. For simplicity's sake I stick with 480i when it comes to PS2.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not trying to rag on anyone, but it's entirely gormless to say composite is better than component. That needs to be packed up and shipped up right now. There is a solid reason component cables for the Gamecube are such a hot commodity. Interlaced vs progressive isn't even a discussion anymore and definitely shouldn't be in 2014. If component looks bad on your TV, your TV is rubbish.

Anyway, back to my original point, the Wii Mini is worse in every way. The tone in the OP is also somewhat odd too. He says the reviews are way off, then lists the cons the reviews gave them and says they aren't issues...to him. That sounds...weird. They're not edge case cons, they're specific cons against a system that was made to be a budget console for people who play dancing games and fitness games exclusively – maybe.

im not saying its better, but its a trade off because component shows too much detail which results in jagged lines on some games. obviously this doesn't apply to a PS3 or Xbox 360 graphically intense FPS. but for Mario Kart or Wind Waker, the difference is negligible. Nintendo specifically designed those games to be low definition, 480 resolution (P or I, you choose)

there was a reason the GameCube Zelda game was realistic, adult Link, while the Wii Zelda used Cartoony cell shaded graphics style. the GC was directly competing with PS2 and Xbox, the Wii was a completely different marketing approach. the Wii is only slightly more powerful than the Gamecube in terms of processing power, but makes up for it in fun, simple, first party titles, at a fraction of the cost of its competitors. The Wind Waker HD remake sought to remedy this. if Wind Waker was fine in 480p, they wouldn't have put the money into a remake on the Wii U.

One cannot compare CRT to modern HDTV. For starter CRT has scanline effect which hides video imperfection. Many retro-gamers use scanline generator when they play it on modern HDTV to simulate that effect.

Anyway it seems OP prefers blurs from composite over pixelated video from component. Quite rare preference as most people prefer the other way around.

As far as interlaced vs progressive, the only instance I choose interlaced over progressive is when dealing with PS2. I actually hooked up my PS2 to XRGB-Mini via JP-21 SCART, and PS2 does RGsB (sync on green) when in 480p. For simplicity's sake I stick with 480i when it comes to PS2.

wow, i have no idea what any of that means, even after googling, BUT IT SOUNDS AWESOME

i had allready looked into scan line generators at one point, but the comparison pics online weren't that much different. 8-Bit and earlier you are better off just getting used to no scanlines if all you have is HDTV. but nothing can compare to a real CRT.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the shell is a little too small to use as a mini-ITX case? I have built one into a NES at one point to use as a server though.

And in the topic for slimming it down to a portable the problem with that is it would really help to have a hacked wii to use as a portable so you can remove the disk drive. As it stands it remains unhackable :(

Not gonna argue though, definitely looks kind of cool. Imo that's really the only thing it's got going for it. That and the price is stomachable.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
The only way to softmod the Wii Mini would be through some exploit in a game that accesses USB that crashes the system to run code from a USB drive. Or a whole new type of exploit that would still involve running USB code. No matter what, I''m sure devs aren't really interested in developing an exploit, due to lack of interest.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only way to softmod the Wii Mini would be through some exploit in a game that accesses USB that crashes the system to run code from a USB drive. Or a whole new type of exploit that would still involve running USB code. No matter what, I''m sure devs aren't really interested in developing an exploit, due to lack of interest.
Without extensively modding the system on hardware level, I don't see Wii Mini being hackable.

The lack of SD card means you cannot import save files, which means no in-game exploit.

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
im not saying its better, but its a trade off because component shows too much detail which results in jagged lines on some games. obviously this doesn't apply to a PS3 or Xbox 360 graphically intense FPS. but for Mario Kart or Wind Waker, the difference is negligible. Nintendo specifically designed those games to be low definition, 480 resolution (P or I, you choose)

there was a reason the GameCube Zelda game was realistic, adult Link, while the Wii Zelda used Cartoony cell shaded graphics style. the GC was directly competing with PS2 and Xbox, the Wii was a completely different marketing approach. the Wii is only slightly more powerful than the Gamecube in terms of processing power, but makes up for it in fun, simple, first party titles, at a fraction of the cost of its competitors. The Wind Waker HD remake sought to remedy this. if Wind Waker was fine in 480p, they wouldn't have put the money into a remake on the Wii U.

This makes no sense, if I'm being completely honest. If it was fine in 480p they wouldn't have bothered to remake it at 16:9 native in 1080p? When has that ever been the case. It's not a trade-off either. There are games that look spectacular over component with a Gamecube. Sunshine comes to mind. Nintendo didn't "design" games to be low resolution, they made it fit. You don't say someone who made a classic movie in the 70s designed it to be low resolution if it was shot on film – that's just the card they worked with.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
I use CRTs all the time with ps2/wii and sorry but composite is a deal breaker for me (admittedly I play pretty close to screens). S-video and component ftw.

It's not just that you're buying a Wii Mini.

It's the fact that with that money you can score a pair of good used BC Wii.

That said, it's probably worth to have one anyway, the design is gorgeous (imagine a PC built inside it) and it makes for an excellent "parts bin" of wii accessories, as I pointed out in the past:
- 100% original sensor bar
- 100% original power brick
- 100% original red wii remote plus

Those alone (new and sealed) will not come cheap if you shop for them. And can complement an aforementioned used BC Wii.
So what you're paying the actual Wii Mini console is just a couple of tens $/€. The rest is for original nintendo accessories and that's money well spent (except the composite cable).

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
There is a significant difference between progressive and interlaced.
pic01_low.jpg
pic01_high.jpg

pic02_low.jpg
pic02_high.jpg

pic03_low.jpg
pic03_high.jpg

pic04_low.jpg
pic04_high.jpg

pic05_low.jpg
pic05_high.jpg

Open the images up in separate tabs and flip between them. It shouldn't be tough to figure out which one is progressive. ;)

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the shell is a little too small to use as a mini-ITX case? I have built one into a NES at one point to use as a server though.

And in the topic for slimming it down to a portable the problem with that is it would really help to have a hacked wii to use as a portable so you can remove the disk drive. As it stands it remains unhackable :(

Not gonna argue though, definitely looks kind of cool. Imo that's really the only thing it's got going for it. That and the price is stomachable.

a raspberry pi or beagle bone might be a better choice for a case mod. There are Mini PC's that are pretty small thought. i saw one, forget the name of it, that attaches to the mounting bracket of a monitor.

a portable Wii would basically be a proof of concept thing anyway. assuming its not just a Laptop-Style one which has allready been done, but an actual handheld Wii. removing the disc drive would remove the novelty of it somewhat. the average Wii rom is 4gb to 5gb. SD card limit is 64gb. therefore number of games is limited. a disc drive can play every Wii games ever made, its cooler to be able to take a random game off the shelf, and just pop it in and start playing within seconds.

the only major thing is the sensor bar. with a hacked wii you can boot straight to homebrew channel without ever touching the Wii remote. a portable Unhacked Wii would have to incorporate the sensor bar somehow. which sucks just to navigate to the game icon and click.

This makes no sense, if I'm being completely honest. If it was fine in 480p they wouldn't have bothered to remake it at 16:9 native in 1080p? When has that ever been the case. It's not a trade-off either. There are games that look spectacular over component with a Gamecube. Sunshine comes to mind. Nintendo didn't "design" games to be low resolution, they made it fit. You don't say someone who made a classic movie in the 70s designed it to be low resolution if it was shot on film – that's just the card they worked with.

im not saying either is better or worse. just pointing out tne limitations of the actual hardware. the Wii will only ever output 480p regardless of what method is used to connect it. Yes, progressive is better than interlaced, and Yes, Component>Svideo>>>>>>>>>>Composite. But for what Cell Shaded Graphics in 480p are really worth, at the end of the day the difference is minor. Like the 70s film you mentioned, if movie studio is releasing Black and White movie for a film noir effect, they can use a cheaper film or cheaper cameras to save money, because its in B&W anyway and only hardcore film buffs will know the difference.

I use CRTs all the time with ps2/wii and sorry but composite is a deal breaker for me (admittedly I play pretty close to screens). S-video and component ftw.

excellent "parts bin" of wii accessories, as I pointed out in the past:
- 100% original sensor bar
- 100% original power brick
- 100% original red wii remote plus

Those alone (new and sealed) will not come cheap if you shop for them. And can complement an aforementioned used BC Wii. So what you're paying the actual Wii Mini console is just a couple of tens $/€. The rest is for original nintendo accessories and that's money well spent (except the composite cable).

my point exactly, you don't buy it as you main console. presumably you would allready have a hackable Wii as you main unit, the Mini you keep it in a closet drawer, and always have spare parts. and if some bratty cousin or nephew comes over you can throw the Wii Mini at them and hide your Origional wii away until they leave. if they break the Wii Mini its no big deal.

There is a significant difference between progressive and interlaced.

Open the images up in separate tabs and flip between them. It shouldn't be tough to figure out which one is progressive. ;)

i realize pictures cant compare to the real. thing but honestly the only one that had any noticible difference is the first pic. (a GameCube game!). Wind Waker would barely be noticible. and even then, its not like i need to see each individual hair on link's inner thigh.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
i realize pictures cant compare to the real. thing but honestly the only one that had any noticible difference is the first pic. (a GameCube game!). Wind Waker would barely be noticible. and even then, its not like i need to see each individual hair on link's inner thigh.
The resolution was the same as any Wii game, 640x480. Open them in separate tabs and swap between them. You'll notice a huge difference.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The resolution was the same as any Wii game, 640x480. Open them in separate tabs and swap between them. You'll notice a huge difference.
Indeed. Even I see the difference.

For a dummy: Interlaced and progressive are names for the system of the graphics/frames being built up?

Interlaced works with building the upper field for the first half of the frames and the odd field for the other.
Progressive works with what then? Upper and odd at the same time?

Sorry, it's a bit off topic. :mellow:

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Indeed. Even I see the difference.

For a dummy: Interlaced and progressive are names for the system of the graphics/frames being built up?

Interlaced works with building the upper field for the first half of the frames and the odd field for the other.
Progressive works with what then? Upper and odd at the same time?

Sorry, it's a bit off topic. :mellow:
They are technique for displaying videos.

For progressive, all lines are drawn when the frame is refreshed. In 480p it means all 480 lines are re-drawn each time a frame was introduced.

Things get complicated for interlaced. First of all interlaced only drawn half of lines each time the screen was refreshed. So for 480i only 240 lines were drawn at any given moment. We call these half lines (odd/even) a field. A 480i with 29.97 fps has 59.94 fields/second. Back then CRT would alternate between odd and even fields twice as fast (hence 29.97 x 2 = 59.94) as it would displaying progressive to give it a pseudo-progressive look.

Interlaced were important in the past because of bandwidth constraint. Instead of transmitting 480 lines at any given moment I could simply transmit 240 lines and still maintain a resolution of 480.

Reactions: Bimmel

crea

Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
For me this sounds like a case of post-purchase rationalization.

There is nothing better about Wii Mini besides the size, but the original is small enough and beautiful as it is. Price is not an issue when you get the Wii used practically for free.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For me this sounds like a case of post-purchase rationalization.

There is nothing better about Wii Mini besides the size, but the original is small enough and beautiful as it is. Price is not an issue when you get the Wii used practically for free.

why would you buy 2 identical Wii's? (ignoring the 3rd purchase of Wii U with vWii)

i suppose if you desperately needed 2 homebrew enabled Wii for whatever reason, you could buy 1 Red Wii + 1 Black Wii to have red and black controllers. (white is ugly). but since the Black ones lack gamecube support, its essentially the same problem. your Black Wii is only slightly less "gimped" than a Mini.

everyone already owns an original Wii. the point of buying a Wii Mini is for a "parts bin". controllers, sensor bar, power brick & CN Coins (separately would run well over $90 retail), the actual console is just a nice little bonus. its something different. its a conversation piece. its a kid shield. a guest console, a test equipment, a project box, its whatever your imagination desires.

crea

Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
[...]. but since the Black ones lack gamecube support, its essentially the same problem. your Black Wii is only slightly less "gimped" than a Mini.

That's only the new type of black Wii. The old type is the same as any Wii, gamecube ports and backwards compatibility

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just bought the original Wii that was released in 2006 for 70 bucks. when I read wii mini removed GC and SD card compatibility, it is a no-no for me, i see it as dreadful as psp e1000 or pspgo. :P

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I just bought the original Wii that was released in 2006 for 70 bucks. when I read wii mini removed GC and SD card compatibility, it is a no-no for me, i see it as dreadful as psp e1000 or pspgo. :P
The PSP GO is nothing like the e1000. The only "bad" part was that it removed the UMD drive so that it was lacking probably the most underused part in any PSP system. Being all digital is certainly bad if your a legit user, but even then, I believe purchases can still be transferred from PC to Go, so even legit users still have a path for enjoying the system. Otherwise, for anyone that can handle the design (I know people with larger hands curse the Go), the Go is the preferable system for going at about the same price of other models but with 16GB of storage built in. On the other hand, the e1000 nixed wifi completely when the PSP PSN was still alive, put in a crappy speaker, removed hardware features, etc. The e1000 is actually a pretty good comparison to the Wii Mini for the fact that both tried to make a budget console and ultimately just made a piece of crap that's worse than the marginally more expensive system they already had on the market.

Anyways, that was fairly off topic. On topic, I thought the Wii Mini was a dumb idea when I first heard about it, and at this point, in the year 2015 for most people, I still think it's a bad idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH