Linux is it hard?

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi i've tried to run ubuntu from cd (did not work) and tried running Linux through a virtual enviroment (needed some virtual os that I could never find) but I have a empty partition on my pc. Is it hard to use linux? Could someone provide a guide I may be able to use? I'm just looking for answers as i'm a windows user so only know click and point LoL

also what is a good version of linux i could use considering how many there are.

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It can be hard if you're not used to doing things from a command prompt. With Linux, it's only really easy if you're only using it for casual things (internet, text processing, etc.), otherwise it can be fairly difficult if you're not willing to sit down and read through forums. I put it on my dad's computer; he's barely computer literate and he seems to be doing fine with it. On the other hand, I'm relatively familiar with Windows and I have problems using Linux.

In addition, if you get any problems, be prepared to fix them yourself. Usually through the command prompt.

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not hard at all, if you're willing to learn the proper way to do things in Linux, rather than expect it to work exactly like Windows. I don't know of any guides off hand, that's the sort of thing you should check the forums of whatever distro you choose for, but if you've ever installed an operating system before you shouldn't have too much trouble even without one.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*Using* Linux with a GUI (Graphical User Interface like in Windows, you could also go without) isn't harder than windows, but different.

Examples: click your menu, click openoffice / firefox / whatever.

Use program.

So, you'll propably be familiar with the applications quickly. However, you'll notice differences of course.

The GUI will be different, but no matter which (major) one you use, like KDE or Gnome (preferred by me, used by Ubuntu by default) you'll be able to use it.

The other difference you'll come across is the directory structure. There are no drive letters.

So the root is not 'c:\' but just '/' wherein everything (even devices!) is contained. Your files and settings will be at '/home/yourname'.

As others pointed out, when stuff goes wrong it will be hard. Even I still google around for specific things and I routinely administer linux servers. However, going that far in windows is really hard, too, and solutions are often everything else but logical.

Now to the huge upside. If you know, or want to know, what you're doing you'll see a system far more consistent than windows. It does what you say. You do not have a bloated registry but simply files you can edit, save, restore (e.g. gui settings contained in home directory, or /etc for all settings of the os). But it's a steep learning curve if you want to get into that. I actually don't think the command line interface (mostly bash) is harder than in windows, but far more advanced. The things you can do there with just typing a line is the stuff dreams are made of.

So yeah, just try ubuntu. It'll most likely just boot up and you can start doing stuff. Give us a clue why it didn't work/boot from cd?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Actually Strider, Ubuntu no longer uses GNOME2 by default, but instead Unity, some retarded interface.

I'd suggest getting an Ubuntu 10.10 ISO and using that. And don't bother with VirtualBox, it SUCKS under Windows. Mac OS X and Ubuntu work fine with VirtualBox (as the host OS).

Anyway, make sure that your disc drive can actually read CD's (i.e. it's designed to do that and it's not broken) and then give up. Really, if it doesn't work from the LiveCD, you either need more RAM (2GB should be enough) or a different OS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1