Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Ok, but no matter what the open-tards and Linux fanboys say, Linux is NOT ready for the desktop and won't be for a long, long time. It's ok to experiment with other OS's but personally, if you are using anything that isn't a Mac, unfortunately Windows is the only real viable choice, and if you have the money, go get yourself a Mac.

Dear sir,
Please don't shout at the top of your lungs that you're too dumb to use linux. If my computer-illiterate mom can use it, anyone can. You're just gonna make a fool out of yourself.
Thanks!

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's using objectdock from stardock and I have wallpaper master that rotates my wallpapers every 5 minutes
tongue.gif

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Choosing an operating system based on appearance leads me to think you're an idiot.

Especially when Linux is so non-functional and difficult to use.

I'm not going to use Linux but i just became a little bored with XP.
I'll get sick of Linux in a while too however its non-functionality doesn't bother me since I probably wouldn't be in need of such functionalities. I'm too busy for PC gaming and practically a noob at nearly anything else concerning computers.
That doesn't mean I'm not computer-literate however.
I was just curious and a little bored.

Ok, but no matter what the open-tards and Linux fanboys say, Linux is NOT ready for the desktop and won't be for a long, long time. It's ok to experiment with other OS's but personally, if you are using anything that isn't a Mac, unfortunately Windows is the only real viable choice, and if you have the money, go get yourself a Mac.

dilbert-unix.png

macs rule...everyone has to think like me and use macs now!...your constant bashing of everything non-macintosh is getting old. Chill out, everyone has their own tastes, just because you like using a locked down proprietary OS doesn't mean everyone else does. Open-tards ftw!

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*me describing a good XP installation*

It can play almost every game out (are there games ONLY for Mac?)
It never crashes, I never get viruses
It's very easy to network with other computers, because most people use it
I don't have any compatibility problems
It's very easy to install the OS and programs for it
There are drivers for almost everything, and they aren't hard to find
It's very fast, my video encoding - games - web browsing
It's very easy to skin, making it's "look" irrelevant

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

thats like mine, but my ram and processor are really bad

can you make linux like windows in its interface, but have it running fasteR?

acky

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

thats like mine, but my ram and processor are really bad

can you make linux like windows in its interface, but have it running fasteR?
I think that really depends on what you are trying to run. If you are trying to run Windows applications in linux, then I highly doubt it.

dg10050

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One thing I thought I'd mention as a huge plus to Linux is package management. Seriously. Let's say you needed to help your grandmother(or mother >_>) install a Word processor, but you're in some other location. You could tell her to go out and buy Office 2007 and hope to god she chooses the correct version out of the several versions available, you could tell her to download OpenOffice for Windows, give her the url to the website, run her through how to download it, and then run her through how to install it, or with Ubuntu, you tell her to click Applications -> Add/Remove Programs, then tell her to search for OpenOffice, click the checkmark, and click Apply. Basically, I think Linux can be great for newbies as long as you have someone to work out any initial issues.

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Especially when Linux is so non-functional and difficult to use.

non-functional? i think you have the two confused. there is nothing you can do with windows (or mac os) that i can't do in Linux. as far as difficult to use, all it takes to learn is half a brain, a moderate understanding of english, and a lack of fear of trying something different.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the most idiotic statement I've heard all day, congradulations. Without Microsoft, gaming on the PC would be a barren prospect.

Tell me what's wrong with Windows, because from where I'm sitting I can't see anything. I haven't gotten a BSOD in XP for 2 years, no viruses or spyware for 4 years, and isn't that the bulk of the argument?

You say people with half a brain can learn to use Linuz - but people with half a brain can more easily use XP with 0 issues

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
That's the most idiotic statement I've heard all day, congradulations. Without Microsoft, gaming on the PC would be a barren prospect.

Tell me what's wrong with Windows, because from where I'm sitting I can't see anything. I haven't gotten a BSOD in XP for 2 years, no viruses or spyware for 4 years, and isn't that the bulk of the argument?

You say people with half a brain can learn to use Linuz - but people with half a brain can more easily use XP with 0 issues

Congratulations, You have terrible spelling. Linuz? Congradulations? Please, without Microsoft maybe this would wouldn't have so many idiots/morons who think Windows = The best OS ever and that Linux/OS X isn't needed or is stupid/ pointless. I'd have to say your one of those morons. Windows has crashes, millions of viruses, because you haven't gotten them doesn't mean other people haven't. If people with less than half a brain can use XP how come pretty much all Windows users have got a virus or had windows crash at least ONE time in windows. People who run Linux/OS X don't even have to worry about those.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terrible spelling =! typos.

If there was no Windows, there would be a different OS with all of the problems: the easiest OS to use. More people would have it because it's easy, and thus the target for malware. If everybody switched to Linux, in 6 months you would switch to Windows and say the same thing.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Go pick up a book on UNIX and you'll start to see why windows is the exception when it comes to operating systems.

It has sub-par security - many people say Linux and macs don't get viruses because no one cares, well they don't get viruses because of their UNIX core, technology that has worked for over 30 years. There is more money to be made infiltrating mission critical *nix boxes than creating stupid botnets. Also, vista tried to copy the multi-user aspects of UNIX by using UAC, it doesn't work quite as well though.

Networking isn't that hot(even though most of it was incorporated from BSD code)

It crumbles under high load situations, it isn't stable(can't run for extended periods without crashing or crawling to a halt). Basically every advantage a UNIX OS offers, windows doesn't.

OSX is a UNIX certified OS now btw

Didn't you say you run smoothwall? So you should give some credit to Linux for protecting your windows box...

I have nothing against windows, if you like it continue using it. I'm not saying linux is perfect either, just pointing out that windows does have issues that other operating systems have worked out a long(long) time ago.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do use a smoothwall, but I use my PC for gaming and no other OS has XP beat in that regard. And damn, there are awesome PC games this year. Let me list some things you won't be playing on Linux
STALKER
BioShock
Call of Duty 4
Crysis
Hellgate: London
The Witcher
Kane and Lynch
World in Conflict

Are those not worth a good firewall? Because that and weekly scheduled scans are the only thing I need to keep XP problem free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I used to drink alcohol fairly often. Never to the point of it being a problem, but like 2-3 beers with dinner each night, or a few cocktails or glasses of Scotch or something. Started smoking/vaping weed a lot a few years back which killed 90% of my interest in booze. Now I stopped smoking/vaping weed as much and just deal with life the boring way most of the time
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I only drank alcohol once and it was by accident
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt know it was beer, it was on a juice bottle
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yeah, I'm addicted to smoking, sadly. It's very addictive but I wish I didn't start.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    May just order a 5700g for a nas/emulation set up tbh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast you were asleep on 4/20
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, you played that Mario flash game called Mario 63?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No, but I've seen it on Vinesauce's stream.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that game is one of the reasons i met newgrounds bc the full versión of it is in that site
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Also somebody is remaking it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the other game where I found newgrounds is new york shark
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Spoke to Tom Fulp the other day, if he can find his old Newgrounds site content like the mini Flash animations from the 2000's that played on the portal.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So far no response, but he did say that he'll find them. Wayback Machine doesn't have em.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast the 1999 versión of pico's school is avaliable (the difference between it, the 2006 versión and the 2016 versión is that the speed of the game depends of the speed of your computer and that it had the og soundtrack)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Another being Pico VS Bear, the original 1999 version before Jim Henson filed a DMCA takedown.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    The 2006 versión was made when the flash portal was made
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many people thought it was lost, but was discovered that he hid it on the same page.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, although the "secrets" system where the game was has been removed. Also pico vs uberkids had a netplay versión that was shutdown, although the swf file has been found
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nope. There are two download buttons on the same page, where you can download the original under a file called "bear.exe". "bear2.exe", however, is the updated game in a Flash projector. P.s. this was on the archived Pico page from 2000.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's been there for a long time, too. People who search for lost media don't look hard enough lmao.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also the pico 2 demos used to be only for the newgrounds patrons but they are on internet archive too (https://archive.org/download/picos_school_2)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Iirc the demos were removed from newgrounds in 2022
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Iirc the demos were removed from newgrounds in 2022