Looking for best DS/DSlite flash cart

cystbear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hi please hint me what is the best (whatever of money) flashcart for DS/DSlite.
But not for 3ds series.
Only DS/DSlite in my scope for reason DSi[XL] easily can be softmoded via sd-card and camera app.

I have asked on reddit same question and got the suggestion about acekard 2i or its clone.
But I have aware that there were EZ-Flash carts for DS/DSlite even for DSi.

https://www.ezflash.cn/download/ сlick legacy products tab.

There are several of them:
EZ-FLASH V
EZ-FLASH V Plus
EZ-FLASH Vi old
EZ-FLASH Vi 705/805 (just curious 705 and 805 it's two different models)

My questions are:
which cart is most modern from EZ-FLASH lineup?
where I can buy them/it?
where I can buy most authentic acekard 2i?

PS
just trying to avoid get a deal with some kind of ali's clones aka R4_bla_bla_bla.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It really doesn't matter which one you get, especially if you're not worried about the DSi or 3DS. Even the R4 clones from AliExpress are fine, if they're functional. (And unfortunately they are not always.)

Some older cards are just limited to the older 2 GB SD card standard. And some cards still have a timebomb, which is very undesirable.

The DSTWO has additional processing power which makes it capable of running emulators that other cards cannot, but the DSTWO is also expensive and reportedly has extra battery drain, and there are probably better ways of emulating games anyway.

Apparently some cards also offer real-time save, but I've never been entirely clear on how well that works or even if it's especially useful.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Curious to see EZFlash mentioned in such a discussion. Most that would at this point would be more concerned with the EZFlash 3 in 1 (allows you to play GBA games in the setup natively, as opposed to weak emulation or slightly better on enhanced flash carts) which was originally bundled with the EZ5 (and more completely called the EZFlash 5 3 in 1 expansion pack).

The EZ5 has several iterations, ending up with the EZ5i which got updates (unlike some of the older models) until fairly late in the DS lifetime but before DS games stopped (pokemon conquest hit a few days later, pokemon black 2/white 2 some time after that. Many games did not need an update to work but those will, and in the years since there are options). To that end the EZ5i is the latest and with all the shiniest features.
I would generally note the EZ5i as something of a dark horse in western flash cart world (inside China then different matter). It certainly had plenty of shiny features, some even better than what the general king of the hill (the supercard DStwo) sports. Not sure who might be selling them today either -- most would have dropped off after the flash cart killer update on the DSi and 3ds as support similarly went for it (and it would be a while before 3ds and even later for DSi hacks came along to bypass such things from that way).

If doing the general best of list.

Supercard DStwo. Unarguably the best flash cart for the DS. Has loads of nice features (cheat search, guide reader, savestates*), full compatibility, works on DSi and 3ds where others did not... and most interestingly of all for most is it is the main reference for "enhanced flash cart", which is to say it has an extra CPU on board which allows it to play the vast majority of GBA games with a few nice perks over even native hardware options (button remapping and such), play videos encoding in some common formats, have a bunch of emulators do better than native code and even some things that would not even be attempted on baseline DS hardware.
Only downsides are power draw, back when then expense and today good luck finding one at all (you are pretty much limited to hoping someone sells one second hand, if somewhere like here then people will know the worth and that leaves you hoping some clueless mother sells something on facebook or whatever).

*this side of the DS equivalent of https://gbatemp.net/review/analogue-pocket-gb-gbc-and-gba-handheld-fpga-based-player.2081/ no flash cart savestates are going to be anything like emulator grade -- if nothing else part of the 3d system is write only. Play to it though (go somewhere quiet, test before using in anger, know how to force a redraw of things/restart of music) and you do have savestates you can reliably use as you might in other things.

The Supercard DSone is much the same but does not have the extra CPU and consequently no cheat search, media player beyond baseline DS homebrew and other fancy programs. We were seeing clones appear a while back of various dubious build quality (some were fine, some were not, some could be brought back, some then resorting to buying a stack of them hoping to get a working one out of it as they were going that cheap). https://gbatemp.net/threads/dsone-clones-appear-to-be-available-for-purchase.586226/

The AK2i is the inheritor of the AKRPG open source firmware (made closed source since then) and thus is the gold standard for flash cart cheat engines, soft reset patches and contributed the vast majority of flash cart fixes you might find. Build quality is not brilliant though so be prepared for a bit of fiddling.
It also morphed into the Wood firmware that powers now the original R4 (don't unless you have one/find one on the street) and a select few other R4_bla_bla_bla things. If you can get an officially blessed by wood R4 clone (not sure what they are these days) that does not feature a time bomb (said R4_bla_bla_bla things often feature kernels that will check the DS system date and refuse to work past a given point, hoping you buy a replacement, others setting dates back or hacking the kernel if they were not able to dodge it in the first place) then you will be able to play basically every game with cheats and soft reset if you want it, which is what most people want -- guides are OK but ultimately a gimmick, cheat search is better in an emulator, and if you have any kind of later device then emulate something on that instead.

The main other thing of note probably then being the M3i real. They fell out of favour a bit after screwing over a prominent homebrew dev (why some tools to use with a 3 in 1 will need a modded version to work on them) but stuck it out for a while and would be a half decent build quality cart that plays pretty much all games with cheat support if it is something you want.

cystbear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Holy cow @FAST6191 so long and detailed explanation, thank you very much.

Let me provide some details: I bought DSlite just for fun, \wo any carts at all. I ordered on local market some r4clone ($12) it works perfectly, run some zeldas and GTA chinatown wars. But I decided to get some ultimate solution in frames of slot-1 flashcarts. Apply it, upload all ds games on sd-card and put device on a shelf.

Also there is slot-2, I have ordered EZ-flash omega for slot-2. Why it?, cause it has reduced shell size to fit my DSlite. That's it.

Basing on your explanation I should hunt Supercard DStwo.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it works perfectly
I'm kind of baffled as to the point of this thread, then..?

upload all ds games on sd-card and put device on a shelf.
If you're just going to put it on a shelf, you could do that right now without spending any more money.

I decided to get some ultimate solution in frames of slot-1 flashcarts.
By "in frames" are you referring to framerates..? The games aren't going to run any faster if you get a different flashcart.

cystbear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I'm kind of baffled as to the point of this thread, then..?

If you're just going to put it on a shelf, you could do that right now without spending any more money.

By "in frames" are you referring to framerates..? The games aren't going to run any faster if you get a different flashcart.

sorry for my English. "In frames" I mean "ultimate solution FOR slot-1".
To avoid move discussion to "slot-2" direction.

Thoughts that I have some random clone of R4 in my slot-1 will "make me feel a cheap"

Toptierboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you ever find a good flash cart for ds lite? I got a ds lite myself and looking for the best flashcart to play Pokémon rom hacks on.

Last edited by Toptierboy,

Cart00nHead

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It really doesn't matter which one you get, especially if you're not worried about the DSi or 3DS. Even the R4 clones from AliExpress are fine, if they're functional. (And unfortunately they are not always.)

Some older cards are just limited to the older 2 GB SD card standard. And some cards still have a timebomb, which is very undesirable.

The DSTWO has additional processing power which makes it capable of running emulators that other cards cannot, but the DSTWO is also expensive and reportedly has extra battery drain, and there are probably better ways of emulating games anyway.

Apparently some cards also offer real-time save, but I've never been entirely clear on how well that works or even if it's especially useful.
are any emulators worth having on a ds lite with a r4 flash cart? asking as i just have got out an old ds lite and megadrive/genesis is quite awfull and i just read gba is poinltless, any advise welcome

• Wow
Reactions: SylverReZ

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
are any emulators worth having on a ds lite with a r4 flash cart? asking as i just have got out an old ds lite and megadrive/genesis is quite awfull and i just read gba is poinltless, any advise welcome
Depends on what you mean by "worth", Lameboy and NesDS are enjoyable (especially the former) but who knows if you need the 15th device in your home to run NES software :P

Reactions: SylverReZ

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I generally found the megadrive offerings quite acceptable when I played them, might even have stopped me bothering with the GBA versions of various games despite running things on/having a GBA flash cart. If your standards are PC or modern console/phone grade then yeah lack of resolution is going to hurt a bit and some features will be missing. Could happily see people say they have played games if they played them on the DS emulators though.

Generally 8 bit and older if it made the leap (not all things that had GBA code emulators got DS offerings, naturally the more obscure consoles) are quite good. SNES is a bit hit and miss and will obviously be missing special chip games (which are several of its best games) but can get some things done and I covered megadrive above. PCE/TG16 (several ports of 16 bit games worth speaking of, some of the finest bomberman games on any platform* never really got going compared to some of the GBA stuff.

*the XBLA version, Saturn, Atomic and SGB efforts being the only things that pose the Bomberman 9X on the PCE/TG16 from where I sit.

http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/emulators-for-nintendo-ds-1158162.html
https://gbatemp.net/threads/flubbas...ed-other-recent-homebrew.619739/#post-9952151

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, the Acekard 2i is a super reliable alternative to most other flashcarts. It consumes less power which doesn't drain your DS far quicker, has great compatibility with most DS games, as well as features to disable anti-piracy measures such as games like Pokémon.

Cart00nHead

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We use this one not really looking for another unless it's something to use for 3ds

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_213741.jpg
    IMG_20230828_213741.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I won't give you a specific device, but rather some features or considerations that are good/important to look for in present day, or at least "nice to haves".

- SDHC support. You don't want to be limited to 2GB.
- Support for either or both RetroGameFan Multi Cart Update or TWiLight Menu++ (I tend to prefer the former, but there are reasons to use the latter, too). Both are sometimes if not often better options than stock firmware, in my opinion.
- No timebomb/firmware lockouts... (Carts with a year on the label are notorious for this, watch out for those)
- Build quality. Some of these carts can be flimsy. Even the famous SuperCard DSTWO suffers from this. Brittle plastic shell that may deteriorate from normal use is no bueno. Mine is in multiple pieces now and I haven't got a way to put it back together...

All these things noted, I own a SuperCard DSTWO, a DSTTi, and a chinese DSONE clone (those are easy to find now on AliExpress; sometimes have PSRAM failures, however). My favorite, or rather the most consistent of the three has been the DSTTi, which fits perfectly in every DS model, is well built, and has been with me for well over a decade now. I'd have more good things to say about the DSTWO if it didn't fall apart.

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll have to wait on more reviews. His was basically, "It's another flash cart for the NDS." He mentions the FPGA, but never mentions what it does, for example. It's the FPGA that has me curious about it.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
He mentions the FPGA, but never mentions what it does,
Well, as you may know it's a chip that can be configured to do "anything" within it's limits... and that most every DS flashcard uses one (or their relative-with-tradeoffs CPLD) as their main processor

Conclusion - by itself it's a buzzword :)

Reactions: anotherthing

Nix_Lon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Honestly, just go with the Ace3DS+.

My only issue with it is that it has the worst shell quality out of the clone NDS flashcards in the market.

There is also the EZ-Flash Parallel (EZP) which is (as of right now) an glorified Ace3DS X (literally just an Ace3DS+ w/ NTRBoot which is only useful for 3DS) with a much better shell quality, wider Auto Anti-Piracy patches but somehow buggier than the Ace3DS+ Wood 1.62 kernel and awful at homebrew uses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1