ROM Hack Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Love to the patch creator that made so i never had to listen to the crappy voice act
smile.gif

English dub attack a monster and scream: haaaja...*whatever can i get my paycheck soon?*
Japanese voice actor: HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAJJJJJJJJAAAA!!!!! *damm i was so into my role that i kicked the mic stand to the ground*

Reactions: signz

Ringo619

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bluelaserman said:
Ringo619 said:
A noob question:
Whats the differecne between undub and dub ?

Dubbing means to change the voices to another language.
Undubbing means to put original voices on a new release.

and the original is english or a different language?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ringo619 said:
bluelaserman said:
Ringo619 said:
A noob question:
Whats the differecne between undub and dub ?

Dubbing means to change the voices to another language.
Undubbing means to put original voices on a new release.

and the original is english or a different language?
Original release is Japanese.
Japan is known for voice acting being respected profession, so you often get a higher quality result.

The English release has voices 'dubbed over'.
America is known for voice acting being mocked and disrespected, so you end up with bottom-of-the-barrel.
There are some exceptions to the rule, like with big name actors doing a famous/popular anime in English, but even then the results isn't always the best.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Depravo said:
twiztidsinz said:
Japan is known for voice acting being respected profession, so you often get a higher quality result.
I've often wondered how non-Japanese speakers know this.
only because you are born in one country it dosn't mean that you can't learn a new language and their culture...

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CrimzonEyed said:
Depravo said:
twiztidsinz said:
only because you are born in one country it dosn't mean that you can't learn a new language and their culture...
You miss my point. Using an undub to better understand a language is a good thing but most people undub games simply because they automatically assume the original voice acting is of a better quality. This may very well be the case but how could a non-Japanese speaking person tell the difference?

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I honestly don't have a problem with the voices, and I've never had the problem with voices in any game. I don't see a reason to hate voices in this game.

@twiztidsinz Not playing a game because of the voices is just silly.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Depravo said:
CrimzonEyed said:
Depravo said:
twiztidsinz said:
You miss my point. Using an undub to better understand a language is a good thing but most people undub games simply because they automatically assume the original voice acting is of a better quality. This may very well be the case but how could a non-Japanese speaking person tell the difference?
Well, I prefer the Jap Dub in some games (and animes anyway) over the English/German one, because you can really hear that Japanese Dubbers (lol'd) put more enthusiasm in the dubbing process than (most) English/German ones.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
CrimzonEyed said:
Depravo said:
twiztidsinz said:
It's not really missing the point, as your somewhat generalized comment was addressed in a generalized manner:
If a profession is not respected or treated as legitimate (for example, Voice Acting isn't as respected in the US so it's somewhat of a stigma and thought of as a lesser profession than "REAL" acting), then you're not going to have as good of a talent pool.

I realize you probably mean "If you can't speak the language, how do you know they are doing the job well" (kind of semantics, but this really is a different question) and the answer to that is, the voices FIT the look and feel of the character.
I've seen games and anime dubs where you would expect a certain type of voice from a character (example, a big burly brawler) and you get something that doesn't fit (a generous example is a 'tough guy' voice, a more realistic example would be giving him an 'average' adult/young adult voice).
Do you really think it's fine that the evil snarky bitch sounds like a giggling schoolgirl?

That's not to say ALL voice acting is bad, but I can give a decent example of good and bad English voice acting in the same anime.
Lina Inverse and Gourry Gabriev from Slayers had good voice actors that fit the character.
Xelloss on the other hand was meant to be a scheming and aloof, but comes off whiny and nasaly.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
Here is the thing. Voice acting in Japan is a well recognized job. To become a voice actor for games, movies, cartoon shows, or audio tapes, you must be screened. You'll be faced with bunch of people who wants the same job. Voice actors in Japan are considered celebrities. They get paid in handsome amount of money.

One of the big thing about US is that people here don't take voice acting seriously. I admit there are a few voice actors that are really good, but for most it is bad. Those bad actors literally just speak about whats on the script, without giving emotion to it. So in the end it sounded like a robotic speech.

How do you tell the differences? Just play the JAP and Dub version. 9 out of 10 you can notice the differences right off the bat.

CaelumSora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hum... yay! im not a smart guy =[
but i exchange the files and i made a undub in a crack version(poison guy version ^^)

for now is working fine =/
should i expect something like...
"i messed up, the game is gonna freeze now?" =[

Azariel_z

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CrimzonEyed said:
Love to the patch creator that made so i never had to listen to the crappy voice act
smile.gif

English dub attack a monster and scream: haaaja...*whatever can i get my paycheck soon?*
Japanese voice actor: HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAJJJJJJJJAAAA!!!!! *damm i was so into my role that i kicked the mic stand to the ground*

yep, that summed it all !!! The difference between US dubs and Jap Dubs.
yaynds.gif

On one side, The only ones that get NEAR to do the job well done are countries like Italy and mexico, whose Dubs are excellent for anime , they evne try to hire people with msot near pitch and re act all the scenes accordingly..

I feel glad is not like those nasty Russian dubs when ONE guy does it all ( man, boy, girl, babies...etc ) OVER the jap dub playing on the background ..ehehe..

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
trumpet-205 said:
How do you tell the differences? Just play the JAP and Dub version. 9 out of 10 you can notice the differences right off the bat.

....It seriously depends on the dubbing studio who does it, and the voice actors themselves. A HUGE amount of dubbed games I've played are just fine.. like Persona 3 and 4, all the Trauma Center games and Trauma Team. (A lot more too, cant think of them off the top of my head)

I get that this particular dub isn't GREAT. Some of the voice actors are better than others.. But people shouldn't generalize about EVERY english game.

I'm not saying you do - but I hate people who want to Undub immediately without even giving the English VAs a chance -_____-"

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jurassicplayer said:
Lol I usually give the English dubs a chance, but for some peculiar reason the main character's voice really bothers me (thus I would prefer not knowing what he is saying...but I like listening so...)

...I have to admit, they kinda screwed up the casting :/ I would have picked a deeper voice for the main character, lmao.. Not the guy who did Kyrie in the Sands of Destruction anime >____

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/q1474nWP0bI?si=5v445vycfskxD3V8