Hacking Luma3DS not loading godmode9 (goes to home instead)

heliosisdrawful

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
greetings! made an account to post here about the issue, hope i'm following site ettiquite, apologies if not.

recently, one of my siblings got a japanese nintendo 3ds xl (the ll model), which means all of our games don't work due to it being region locked, so i took it upon myself to mod it so that our money didn't go to waste. after following the official tutorial for luma3ds (the 3ds hacks guide one), i followed all the steps perfectly, and it works so far. configuration menu works, rosalina menu works, but when i got to the finalized section involving godmode, it doesn't seem to work? i've tried seeing if anyone else has had this issue, where instead of it booting into godmode9, it just goes straight to the home menu, and while i've gotten sparce results, nothing helps.

my folders are organized, i've followed the tutorial EXACTLY. the tutorial says if you don't boot into godmode9 following the steps it told you to do, that you've misplaced or didn't put the finalizing folder correctly, which I PUT IT EXACTLY AS INTENDED! i've been at this for over 2 hours and i'm beginning to lose hope. how can i make it boot into gm9?

tl;dr, followed luma3ds tutorial on 3dshacksguide, got to the finalizing point with godmode9 (section V), but godmode9 doesn't load at boot as the tutorial said it should, it just boots to home instead. i did everything right and i'm not sure where i went wrong. help?

let me know if i need to post anything like pictures of the folder directories or the contents of the SD, etc. thank you!! :ha:

heliosisdrawful

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you post photos of your sd card then please? See what is going on with this for you.
sure! there's also the Nintendo 3DS folder which has a lot of smaller folders, too much to post here unless that's what you need
1703641351263.png
1703641369923.png
1703641382189.png
1703641395754.png
1703641412716.png
1703641458128.png

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some questions:
Does the (Start) button work normally?
Can you access Luma3DS settings by holding (Select) on power on? Does it say "Booted from SD via B9S"?

SD content looks fine to me at first glance.

heliosisdrawful

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some questions:
Does the (Start) button work normally?
Can you access Luma3DS settings by holding (Select) on power on? Does it say "Booted from SD via B9S"?

SD content looks fine to me at first glance.
1. start button works normally, i checked
2. yup! though instead of saying booted from SD it says booted from CTRNAND

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it says booted from CTRNAND
There you have the problem.
For some reason the boot file on the SD is not loaded. It always has the preference over the fallback copy created on CTRNAND.

Something is wrong. Bad SD. File system corruption. Bad boot file. SD reader in console not working properly.
Can have many reasons.

Quick and dirty test: provide another FAT32 formatted SD contain Luma3DS boot.firm as well as GodMode9 in SD:/luma/payloads

Reactions: heliosisdrawful

heliosisdrawful

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you connect the sd card to the pc. Are you able to see what the current format for the sd card is set to?
i'm able to see the format on the SD card, fat32
There you have the problem.
For some reason the boot file on the SD is not loaded. It always has the preference over the fallback copy created on CTRNAND.

Something is wrong. Bad SD. File system corruption. Bad boot file. SD reader in console not working properly.
Can have many reasons.

Quick and dirty test: provide another FAT32 formatted SD contain Luma3DS boot.firm as well as GodMode9 in SD:/luma/payloads
sweet, some progress!

i don't have another sd on me currently, but i'll look for one and do the the test, i know the sd reader works, so it's likely the card itself, i'll update when i get another sd card
Post automatically merged:

great news!

the problem was the sd card, i replaced it with another sd and it loaded gm9! so, for anyone else googling this problem

1. make sure you have the files on the sd card
2. double check if luma config menu is loaded from ctrnand or sd, if ctrnand, then replace sd card and put the stuff on there

Last edited by heliosisdrawful,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol