Gaming Mac vs. PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it ironic that I make a thread just like this one and it gets locked...

Anyway, I prefer PCs. I could never get used to a mac, they always seem 'too simple' and that I couldn't really do anything with them.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yet another which is better thread. You cant compare things like this, since technically a mac is no where near a PC, and a PC is no where near a mac.

The argument will go on for ever, and in the end its your own money. Personally, I'd go for a PC, why? Since its extremely versatile, and i can do whatever i want with it; anything i want
smileipb2.png

lildaz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CyberFish said:
Friend at work showed me this and I laughed my ass off.

Mac_vs_PC.jpg

Im suprised quite a few people in a modding community would rather have a bland mac.

Love this and so true. That's why I prefer a PC for my desktop and a Mac for my laptop.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are far too many differences to compare.

Hardware wise, Apple desktops are grossly overpriced compared to Windows. People cry about computer performance when they buy shitty prebuilts which is part of the problem, prebuilt machines suck horribly for the most part because they use low grade components in order to save you some money and the companies install so much unnecessary garbage that you don't need. The MacBook Pro is considered the king though when it comes to mobile gaming, the price tag may be steep but all of the reviews I have read state that the higher end models in the 15 and 17 inch versions outperform the giants in laptop gaming like Alienware and they don't run nearly as hot plus have better battery life and weigh less. If you go desktop, Windows wins by a landslide because of the hardware flexibility, any issues are based off poor development to make things compatible, hell I have hardware that was never registered with Microsoft before being released so there are driver signing messages that pop up when I install it but it still works.

When it comes down to OS's though, Mac OSX wins in terms of reliability, however software compatibility can sometimes be an issue with certain products but thankfully since the switch over to x86 technology, most software is being developed for both Windows and Mac OS now. Depends on what you need to do as well, Mac OS is far less resource intensive so you can do higher end computing with it that requires lots of power, but for general every day stuff and playing games, a well built Windows machine will be fine.

CyberFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im guessing hackintoshing is installing OS-X on a PC. I am kinda interested in this since that is the only OS that you can download the SDK for iphone. Damn apple.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Jiggah said:
What? No, you don't.
Well, according to my Asian friend in the UK he said that.
I asked him because i successfully burned it then it booted up to the apple logo normally for 5 mins. Then it showed me a circle with a cross in it on the stem of the apple logo. I thought it was natural, so i left my PC on for the whole night an it was still there.
So i asked him what the problem was then he said this.
"Haha, Read the tutorial again. You need at least 150GB of space on your Hard drive. "
QUOTE(CyberFish @ Jun 21 2009, 03:40 PM) Im guessing hackintoshing is installing OS-X on a PC. I am kinda interested in this since that is the only OS that you can download the SDK for iphone. Damn apple.
To be honest, thats mostly why im installing Leopard on my PC.

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also dual booting leopard and xp for iphone dev. And no you dont need 150 GB, at least I didnt.
TBH, leopard's been pretty meh for me other than the simple uninstalling apps.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vidboy10 said:
Jiggah said:
What? No, you don't.
Well, according to my Asian friend in the UK he said that.
I asked him because i successfully burned it then it booted up to the apple logo normally for 5 mins. Then it showed me a circle with a cross in it on the stem of the apple logo. I thought it was natural, so i left my PC on for the whole night an it was still there.
So i asked him what the problem was then he said this.
"Haha, Read the tutorial again. You need at least 150GB of space on your Hard drive. "
QUOTE(CyberFish @ Jun 21 2009, 03:40 PM) Im guessing hackintoshing is installing OS-X on a PC. I am kinda interested in this since that is the only OS that you can download the SDK for iphone. Damn apple.
To be honest, thats mostly why im installing Leopard on my PC.

Well, I'm Asian
rolleyes.gif
and I'm telling you that you don't need 150 gb for a hackintosh. There are other reasons for why it doesn't get past the initial load screen. Things like incompatible processors, possibly sata drive issue, etc.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
All complicated psychobabble aside, let's break this down into something extremely simple:

Get a PC if you want games, media (to some extent), and work. However, complications and viruses will slow you down. Frequently too, if you are constantly upgrading or swapping hardware.
Get a Mac if you want media and simplicity. However, games aren't exactly in high abundance there.
Get Linux if you want a lot of customization. Games work somewhat due to Wine (a Windows compatibility layer but NOT an emulator) and so does media, but it's not very good.

My recommendation is a dual-boot with Windows XP or Windows 7 and Ubuntu (a distribution of Linux) for the maximum gaming and work experience, with media to boot. However, it takes a little tweaking to get it to work the way you want. If you're patient, go with this setup.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This isn't something that can be summed up in a single post. I personally am against everything Apple, but I enjoy the competition they bring to the OS game, because when products compete, the consumers win. What's unfair is that Apple gets away with things Microsoft is getting threatened with antitrust lawsuits for doing - that isn't cool.

I do hope this thread dies/gets locked soon, so much fanboyism and unjustified claims going on, it's driving me nuts

QUOTE said:
The MacBook Pro is considered the king though when it comes to mobile gaming
I find it hard to believe that the "king" of mobile gaming only has a 9600M under the hood. The Idea of a discrete GPU is far from new in the world of laptops as well.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
notnarb said:
This isn't something that can be summed up in a single post. I personally am against everything Apple, but I enjoy the competition they bring to the OS game, because when products compete, the consumers win. What's unfair is that Apple gets away with things Microsoft is getting threatened with antitrust lawsuits for doing - that isn't cool.

I do hope this thread dies/gets locked soon, so much fanboyism and unjustified claims going on, it's driving me nuts

QUOTE said:
The MacBook Pro is considered the king though when it comes to mobile gaming
I find it hard to believe that the "king" of mobile gaming only has a 9600M under the hood. The Idea of a discrete GPU is far from new in the world of laptops as well.
Just remember that Mac graphics chips are not the same specs as ones in Windows machines, they are usually more powerful to fit with the higher end applications. Not to mention the 9600M GT is still a very good graphics card compared to what other notebooks have. I saw a review of the newest Alienware laptop and it was given some pretty bad reviews due to it's weight, size and heating issues and that compared to a top end MacBook Pro, it's not that much better in the performance department. Not many machines use the uber high 280M chips yet and I would imagine we are a long way off from them being affordable or seen in most machines. And Nvidia rates the 9600M GT as a performance class graphics card in notebooks, the next step up you get into the 130, 230 and 240 before getting into the high performance class. I am surprised Apple didn't opt with the GT 160M as it is considered high performance, but at the same time I believe they wanted something good that wasn't going to suck up the battery life if you were doing some mobile stuff that was graphics intensive.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My PC ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mac Pro

2.5GHz Quad-Core AMD Phenom X4 ---------------------------------- 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
4GB (1066MHz DDR2) ----------------------------------------------------------------- 3GB (1066MHz DDR3)
500GB 7200 RPM ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 640GB 7200 RPM
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4830 512MB -------------------------------------- NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
SAMSUNG Black 22X --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 18x SuperDrive
Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse ----------------------------------------------------------- Apple Mighty Mouse
Dell Keyboard --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Apple Keyboard
Vista 32-Bit, 7 RC 64-Bit and Linux (and I could get Leopard if I wanted) ------ Mac OS X Leopard

$800 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ $2,900

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
DSGamer64 said:
Just remember that Mac graphics chips are not the same specs as ones in Windows machines, they are usually more powerful to fit with the higher end applications.
Uhm, no they're not. They're exactly the same regardless if they're in a Mac or not.
QUOTE(DSGamer64 @ Jun 22 2009, 01:14 AM) Not to mention the 9600M GT is still a very good graphics card compared to what other notebooks have.
I fail to see how you can say this. I've seen quite a few laptop which has at least Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT or better.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Macs and pretty much everything Apple related is overpriced. A set of component out cables for your iPod is $49. Really? Does it need to be that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.yankodesign.com/2024/06/06/cooler-masters-new-pc-cases-look-like-something-out-of-a-m...