• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,741
  • Replies 30
D

Deleted User

OP
Source and Source

Imagine this: you're playing StarCraft II or World of Wacraft with your friends online and suddenly through your headset you hear a loud bang, shouting, and sounds of a violent struggle. That's exactly what happened when an unlucky Salt Lake City resident became the victim of an aggravated robbery assault, and his computer microphone picked up the entire ordeal.

Above: Burglars beware! Don't mess with us late-night gamers or you'll be caught. The burglar above, however, may be more welcome...

Police say it was just after 1:00 AM yesterday when a group of men kicked in the door of the victim's house. They assaulted him with a blunt weapon - probably a stick or baseball bat - and then took as much stuff from his house as possible.

But the robbers hadn't counted on one thing: the victim was playing "computer games online," reports the Salt Lake City Tribune, when they entered. He was in the middle of a gameplay session and his microphone was on, transmitting everything over live game servers.

headsets--article_image.jpg

Above: Choose wisely when picking your next headset - it might save your life

It was not reported what game he was playing, but he was in a chat with multiple other gamers. One of them was a local friend who dashed outside and drove over to the victim's house, in time to see numerous masked men exit. The friend told police he watched as one of them took off his mask, and recognized him.

That, combined with a separate account from the victim who identified the same man from his voice, has provided investigators with a very strong lead in the case. Police did say, however, that neither the victim nor his friend knew the assailant's real name. They did not expand on what that meant.

The burglars probably didn't expect the man to be awake at 1 AM, and had it not been for the friend who heard everything online they might have gotten away with it. But now, police have been able to recover the getaway car and will probably make an arrest soon. Score one for online gaming chat.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow how amazing, I wonder what would have happened if perhaps he was on the phone with his friend at the time, or maybe this just isn't news and is stupid

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd, for some reason this makes me think that if this didn't happen he probably wouldn't have left his house for a month. Just a thought.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People always get robbed while playing games like Star Craft. The kind of web addicted people who play these games are having their lives stolen from them one hour at a time.
wink.gif

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
tails100 said:
Maybe I should voice chat more often..... But I'll always have to hold a button......
Not unless you set it to "voice activation" which activates the chat at a certain level of volume. The only problem is if you have a microphone and play music through the speakers, the chat will always be on. Personally, I like Push-to-Talk.

Maplemage

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
TheWingless said:
tails100 said:
Maybe I should voice chat more often..... But I'll always have to hold a button......
Not unless you set it to "voice activation" which activates the chat at a certain level of volume. The only problem is if you have a microphone and play music through the speakers, the chat will always be on. Personally, I like Push-to-Talk.
Well Valve games you have to hold a buttom to voice chat.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Seriously, not joking at all, but this is the reason why I always carry a butterfly knife on my hip. There is no one I know that is NOT intimidated by someone who knows how to flip a balisong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Cranesbill @ Cranesbill: *>:]