ROM Hack Mario and Luigi 3: With Rumble?

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright - first off I'm not saying "hi im a nobb plz plz make game w/o rumble have it lol"

well
i kinda am ):

Anyway, I'm sure most of you [well, those who CAN play it] are playing through Bowser's Inside Story and loving it. But, there's something interesting to note, especially those who own a DS Rumble Pak and played the previous game (PiT)

Mario & Luigi 3 has Rumble Pak compatibility, just like its predecessor. But get this -- the US version of the game has the feature REMOVED! :000000

In short...well, I don't have the experience, but do you suppose it's possible that we could all work together and figure out what the Japanese version has that the US is missing that leads this game to not have any rumble-function?
I'm pretty sure it's a few flags here and there commented out - the problem is, translating that into hex and...stuff

And if we manage to figure it out, attempt to patch it back into the US game?

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you positive?
I've got both M&L:BIS and a DS Rumble Pak [both retail, M&L is not pirated and the rumblepak's first-party Nintendo brand], and nothing's happening when I'm jumping on Koopa heads or being attacked :/

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You're probably not gripping your DS properly :/

Also I don't recall Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire having the Rumble feature. :/

N-TG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
For the first Pokemon Pinball...It had a very big cartridge...

Let me find a picture
PokemonPinballCart.jpg

Here you pu a battery in it and voila... Rumble pak for gbc
tongue.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
kosheh said:
Are you positive?
I've got both M&L:BIS and a DS Rumble Pak [both retail, M&L is not pirated and the rumblepak's first-party Nintendo brand], and nothing's happening when I'm jumping on Koopa heads or being attacked :/

elixirdream mentioned in another post that there was supposed to be rumble but the patch broke it, I'm just going off that info and elixirdream is usually pretty clued up on these things.

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
kosheh said:
Are you positive?

elixirdream mentioned in another post that there was supposed to be rumble but the patch broke it, I'm just going off that info and elixirdream is usually pretty clued up on these things.
not to be a dick and get all corrective but

It's possible that between the two different copy protections used [US and JP versions actually have two different methods. JP version was easy to crack, US version was made to clearly lock out R4s], Nintendo had to remove the rumble feature as it interfered with the game's security measures.

or, they could have just assumed no one uses rumble paks anymore and everyone has a DSi :/

But yeah, it'd make sense if the above statement applied to the Japanese version of the game and its respective gamefix.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
not many game have it anymore becasue they dont sel it anymore it came with one game thats it nintendo dosnt think youll own the fake ones

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
not many game have it anymore becasue they dont sel it anymore it came with one game thats it nintendo dosnt think youll own the fake ones
. . .

thank you captain obvious

(and fyi, the rumble pak worked with like 80 games total. and this has little to do with third-party gamepaks)

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In theory -- If you take the Japanese version of the rom -- and then insert the English language text files (undub/re-dub it), you'll have a rumble version with English text

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
kosheh said:
TrolleyDave said:
kosheh said:
Are you positive?

not to be a dick and get all corrective but

It's possible that between the two different copy protections used [US and JP versions actually have two different methods. JP version was easy to crack, US version was made to clearly lock out R4s], Nintendo had to remove the rumble feature as it interfered with the game's security measures.

or, they could have just assumed no one uses rumble paks anymore and everyone has a DSi :/

But yeah, it'd make sense if the above statement applied to the Japanese version of the game and its respective gamefix.

No, they'd never have to remove a feature to add code in, coding just doesn't work like that. If it has been removed I don't know why. It would actually cost them money and time to remove (not alot, but enough to make it not worth the hassle).

Fuck knows why they removed it if they have, your guess is as good as anyones.

The protection hasn't been made specifically to lock out R4s, it was made to lock out all flashcarts. It's just some have more versatile loaders/kernels than others. Plus the R4 just isn't updated any more so it something has to be changed internally to overcome the protection (like in the case of the M3 Real/M3i Zero) then it can't be done.

N-TG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Shhh!!!! TrolleyDave don't ruin our plan... See we want kosheh to transfer the english in the japanese rom so he can have his rumble feature. We can also play the game but he also can play it with rumble pak.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
N-TG said:
Shhh!!!! TrolleyDave don't ruin our plan... See we want kosheh to transfer the english in the japanese rom so he can have his rumble feature. We can also play the game but he also can play it with rumble pak.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
likewise you could do it vice-versa

personally it's not THAT big of a deal but it'd be a whole new world of nice, but I could live without it. I own the actual game, so I'm motivated to finish that
however, if I get this beastly urge to somehow play with rumble in English, I don't mind helping out

However, it's a little harder than you think than just copy-pasting the English text into the Japanese game. You'd need someone who knows assembly to help get groups of text to group properly. Sort of like the problem they're having with SaGa 2.

rest assured though it's easy enough to import the fontface from the English game to the JP one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: To ensure Florida is the freest state in the country, we will ban colors.