Mario Kart Tour powers up with multiplayer and a monthly sub

Mario_Kart_Tour.jpg
Fire off the warp pipe! A new update for the Mario Kart Tour game has drifted onto smartphone devices, bringing with it new updates that jump-start the competition, including Team Races and Room Codes for multiplayer matches.

In Team Races, teammates, whether they're friends nearby, friends online or other racers online, compete for the high score in a blistering race for racetrack dominance with up to four separate teams of two racers. In this mode, teammates remain immune from friendly fire, so fling those Red Shells with abandon and take out your competitors!
The new Room Code feature makes multiplayer more flexible for fun with friends and family. Create your own custom room and share the code with friends and family for a match for up to eight players comprised of your hand-selected Mario Kart Tour companions.

You can access these new features by downloading the latest update for Mario Kart Tour via the App Store or Google Play. From white-knuckle turns on the windy roads of Choco Island to the zippy ricochets of Waluigi's Pinball track, there's always something new to discover in Mario Kart Tour. With a selection of drivers from throughout Nintendo's rich history of characters, like Mario, Donkey Kong, Peach and Yoshi, Mario Kart Tour delivers the high-octane, kart-racing action the series is known for to the palm of your hand. Mario Kart Tour is free-to-start and is currently available to download for iOS and Android devices, so you can join in on the fast-paced fun whenever you want.

To take your experience on the tracks to the next level, you can unlock 200cc mode in single player and Gold Race in multiplayer with a Mario Kart Tour Gold Pass subscription for faster speeds and even tougher opponents. The Mario Kart Tour Gold Pass is a $4.99-per-month subscription service that also provides subscribers with exclusive in-game gold gifts for racing in tours and special in-game badges from gold challenges.

A Nintendo Account, a persistent online connection and a compatible smartphone are required to play Mario Kart Tour. You can obtain your in-game registration card by linking your Nintendo Account. If you don't already have a Nintendo Account, you can create one at https://accounts.nintendo.com/register.

For more information about Mario Kart Tour, visit https://mariokarttour.com/en-US or follow the Mario Kart Tour Twitter page. For more information about Mario Kart Tour Gold Pass features, visit https://mariokarttour.com/en-US/goldpass.

Burn some rubber and grab those coins!

:arrow:Mario Kart Tour Official Site

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I played it for months, but it got worse instead of better.
Worse how? Good game or not, it has arguably improved for the most part. 50-pipes, free multiplayer, QoL improvements like showing driver/kart/glider levels, friend rewards, points max tickets, coins while waiting for rooms, rewards for players who encounter bugs, making old spotlights like Pauline and Ice Mario into legacy high-ends, etc

The only thing that I can think of that I consider worse, is the newer drivers. Several just have 2-5 frenzy spots cough cough Yellow Birdo at launch cough

Last edited by banjo2,

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All cups are accessible by the second week of each tour. If you have quick tickets, you can play them all on the first day

Ahh okay I didn't know that I probably played for 3 days and then I deleted the app. Idk if they have controller support yet because I hated playing with the screen.

Reactions: banjo2

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ahh okay I didn't know that I probably played for 3 days and then I deleted the app. Idk if they have controller support yet because I hated playing with the screen.
Nope, no controller support, unfortunately.

It's bearable imo, aside from when you try to steer and throw an item instead, and when you try to look behind you and turn while doing so. They did add a steering icon though, so you can steer and drift.

Reactions: Goku1992A

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Dude... A potato PC can run GTA 5. It's really well optimized.
About a quarter of all Steam users are still using a dual core processor, believe it or not. That doesn't meet the minimum requirements. There's also a big difference between being able to run the game, and being able to run it with playable performance. Unless you like N64-sized polygons and 8 FPS, anyway.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Worse how? Good game or not, it has arguably improved for the most part. 50-pipes, free multiplayer, QoL improvements like showing driver/kart/glider levels, friend rewards, points max tickets, coins while waiting for rooms, rewards for players who encounter bugs, making old spotlights like Pauline and Ice Mario into legacy high-ends, etc

The only thing that I can think of that I consider worse, is the newer drivers. Several just have 2-5 frenzy spots cough cough Yellow Birdo at launch cough
Worse as in, the pipe pool gets broader and broader, and you are still not garanteed anything. You can put a month's worth of Golden Pass obtained rubies into a banner and apart from the spotlights only get piles of repeatead Normals, often the same ones even though the pool has grown so much. Just no. Fuck this game, completely done with its RNG.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Super Mario Kart on the Snes was huge back in the day it was the fourth biggest selling game on the SNES with nearly 9 million sales and the biggest selling racing game on any 16 bit system. Also lets not forget the fact that any time a website or magazine does a list of the greatest ever SNES games and most of these are voted by the public Mario Kart consistently is in the top 5 not bad for a game that you claim was nothing special.

No?

Even Club Nintendo, Mexico official Nintendo magazine,sadly dead, skipped it on their list of best Nintendo games of all time. Granted that was probably they did have Mario Kart 64 on the list.

The problem with Super Mario Kart is that the Nintendo 64 game is so much better you have almost no reason to go back to it.

People who got the Super Nintendo late usually weren't impressed with Super Mario Kart as they probably had racing games already somewhere else.

I was a kid back then and maybe it was because the Super Nintendo games were really expensive around here, but Super Mario Kart was the kind of game you maybe rented and that was it.

Then again the Sega Genesis was way more popular around here and most kids didn't get the Super Nintebdo6 until they basically spammed TV with ads for Donkey Kong Country.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I might pick the game back up. I did have fun with it initially, but it kind of fizzled out after a week or so.

I wonder if school age kids stuck at home all day are gonna jump on this.
It's better now than it was. The multiplayer is actually pretty decent, offers a real challenge compared to the AI.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,
Reactions: x65943

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm just gonna consider that game as non-existant... too much of a trash game to be a mario kart title anyways...

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SRB2Kart makes a good alternative.
No one has ported it to a phone yet but, hey, its free, runs on any computer that can run a Doom source port engine and it's an actual kart game that is actually playable.

Reactions: HRudyPlayZ

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's a fun game but it can get a tad repetitive and the monetization kind of ruins it. That being said, I'm having really fun playing it with a couple of friends online.

Reactions: HRudyPlayZ

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...I also kinda enjoy the game!! The actual game itself is of course trash, although it's great to see (and hear the bgm of course!) the old tracks.. but for me I've not had so much fun collecting Nintendo memorabilia since the trophies on the GC version of Smash! The app has never, and will never, get a fuckin penny off me (naturally this applies to Gold Pass to - no way lads..), but the quick 5 minute coin collecting, pipe popping, once a day sesh on it - I like it!

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Mario Kart Tour

The game that not only forces you to choose between turning and drifting, but also plays itself!

Can't make turns? No worries. Mario Kart Tour has you covered.

Also you can't off road either.

Funnest game I've ever played. Oh boy!

Just kill this disaster and embarrassment to the Mario Kart series already..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think