FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well i've been doing some thinking and wouldn't it be great if the 3DS was not only a console but a media player which you can watch 3D movies on the go.
the capability's are so good!
So opinion away!

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm sure there will be a built in Audio Player like in DSi.

I think movies will come in cartridges.

But forget about picture viewer, Nintendo are shitting in their pants, scared of possible jpeg/gif/tiff exploit.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well since Ninty said that it will have 3D movies and powerful internet browsers.
It looks very likely of being a media player but more focused on playing games.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
I won't be surprised if 3DS' Media Player plays only some proprietary, obscure media formats instead of widely-adopted standards. DSi doesn't even play MP3s (there's nothing wrong with AAC, but don't expect me to recompress my existing MP3 library into AAC, which would seriously degrade their quality). I guess that we will need to wait for homebrew (MoonShell 3DS, perhaps ?) to be able to listen to MP3, watch DivX/H.264 and rip own DVDs to 3DS...

D

Deleted User

3D pr0n. Legendary.

Anyway, normal video will probably exist, like MP4. A 3D video format will need to be invented for the 3DS and its parallax barrier.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Ferrariman said:
I bet they will use WebM instead of h.264 or MPEG-4

WebM is too new. The specification was released in May 2010, they wouldn't have enough time to implement decoder optimized for ARM processor.

My guess is they are going to release movies in Actimagine/Mobiclip format. Just think of it: they already have all the licenses and playback routines. And as the codec is proprietary, closed and not free, noone will be able to rip own DVDs or convert own Xvids. Thus, no piracy.

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
Well i've been doing some thinking and wouldn't it be great if the 3DS was not only a console but a media player which you can watch 3D movies on the go.
the capability's are so good!
So opinion away!
3D movies was announced. Either way I've got my moonshell (I know for sure that DS mode will be hacked in a considerable amount of time.)

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
FireGrey said:

My guesses:

movies
---------------------

1) no movies ready at launch.
2) no movies in cartridge form.
3) movies online-only, if anything - at some point.

Reasons:
limited shelf space at retail. Games being sacrificed for movie shelf space. Confusion as to where to stock them (DVD section or gaming section). The need to assign resources for a strong launch (with good games being the priority). Movies will get attention afterward.

Audio
----------------------

1) won't have MP3 support
Reason: Nintendo will say no to paying MP3 licensing royalty just like the DSi. http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

Picture
---------------------

1) Probably won't have a decent picture viewer to load real camera pictures on the SD card (except from cameras on the DS itself). I believe it will display 640x480 pics from the 3DS's cameras just fine (just like the DSi), but not do much else.
Reason: Nintendo won't regard this as a high priority. Much like they didn't care about adding bluetooth, this will be another feature not really essential to get people to buy it so they will give it the chop. 3D photos would be the draw. DSi-like editing features will be enhanced, but much the same stuff here.

Audio / video formats
---------------------

Honestly it would surprise me if they licensed anything from the MPEG group (video or audio). Perhaps something with less battery drainage.
Reason: cost and battery life

So yes the 3DS will play more content than just games but movies and audio playback won't be pushed too much in comparison to games, in my opinion. The PSP has nothing to fear on the media playback front, I think. The real 16:9 screen on the PSP (versus 15:9 on the top screen of the DS) already tells us a lot, in my opinion. Plus unless the bottom screen can be turned off totally independently of the top screen, I don't think it's ideal for watching movies sanely while preserving battery life. I suppose they could use it for gimmicky touch controls but the unit has plenty of physical controls to manipulate video (like the PSP).

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
foob said:
FireGrey said:

My guesses:

movies
---------------------

Reasons:
limited shelf space at retail. Games being sacrificed for movie shelf space. Confusion as to where to stock them (DVD section or gaming section). The need to assign resources for a strong launch (with good games being the priority). Movies will get attention afterward.

Audio
----------------------

Reason: Nintendo will say no to paying MP3 licensing royalty just like the DSi. http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

Picture
---------------------

1) Probably won't have a decent picture viewer to load real camera pictures on the SD card (except from cameras on the DS itself). I believe it will display 640x480 pics from the 3DS's cameras just fine (just like the DSi), but not do much else.
Reason: Nintendo won't regard this as a high priority. Much like they didn't care about adding bluetooth, this will be another feature not really essential to get people to buy it so they will give it the chop. 3D photos would be the draw. DSi-like editing features will be enhanced, but much the same stuff here.

Audio / video formats
---------------------

Honestly it would surprise me if they licensed anything from the MPEG group (video or audio). Perhaps something with less battery drainage.

So yes the 3DS will play more content than just games but movies and audio playback won't be pushed too much in comparison to games, in my opinion. The PSP has nothing to fear on the media playback front, I think. The real 16:9 screen on the PSP (versus 15:9 on the top screen of the DS) already tells us a lot, in my opinion. Plus unless the bottom screen can be turned off totally independently of the top screen, I don't think it's ideal for watching movies sanely while preserving battery life. I suppose they could use it for gimmicky touch controls but the unit has plenty of physical controls to manipulate video (like the PSP).

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
FireGrey said:

My guesses:

movies
---------------------

Reasons:

Audio
----------------------

Picture
---------------------

Audio / video formats
---------------------

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laugh.gif
How did u triple post so badly !!!
laugh.gif

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
foob said:
Plus unless the bottom screen can be turned off totally independently of the top screen, I don't think it's ideal for watching movies sanely while preserving battery life.

This was featured in MoonShell.

As a matter of fact, updated MoonShell with 30 fps full widescreen playback and handling higher bitrates would be enough for me, even if it only plays MPEG-1 (DPG).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1