Meet The Xbox Adaptive Controller, Microsoft's Controller For Gamers With Limited Mobility

xbox adaptive controller.JPG

When we think of controllers, we usually think of the standard handheld one with front-facing buttons complete with analogue sticks and some trigger buttons on top (unless if you are Nintendo). While the ergonomic aspect is still debated, with some preferring the Playstation layout over the Xbox one and vice versa, these controllers are not adapted for every gamer. In paticular gamers with medical conditions like cerebral palsy or with amputated fingers/hands have limited mobility or cannot use both of their hands, and as such traditional controllers are not ideal for them to enjoy their games. Microsoft aims to address those concerns with the newly announced Xbox Adaptive Controller.

So how does it work? The main unit is the white slab you see in the first picture above looking kind of like an arcade stick. Its full potential is packed at its rear with a plethora of inputs for enhanced customization:

back side.JPG

One can connect assistive switches (sold separately) for buttons, thumbstick and trigger inputs via the 3.5 jacks, USB joysticks to the USB port and the whole controller can be attached to different mounts from the back to adjust for height and accessibility. Additionally, with the Xbox Accessories App, the buttons can be configured to one's liking.

Microsoft says that the Xbox Adaptive Controller will cost $100 and will be out sometime later this year.

It's great to see a company at the forefront of gaming invest in such a device to help make gaming more accessible. If you want to read more about the designing process behind the Xbox Adaptive Controller, you can do so via the Microsoft Story Lab blog post.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Never said uncompetitive or anything like that. It just bugs me a little because it feels almost like they are taking advantage of a demographic you know? I'm sure they could drop the price some if they really wanted, then you also need to get the buttons and stuff. Just bugs me some.
I don't think there was room for too much of a price drop. You are underestimating the cost of development and production for such a small run of hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: LTT also did it