Gaming Mega Man Powered Up/Maverick Hunter X PSP games 10 year anniversary appreciation thread.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mega Man Powered Up, and Mega Man Maverick Hunter X Released for the Playstation Portable (PSP) in 2006 are the only 2 Games for the system. While the counterpart of the playstation portable the Nintendo DS got more favorable games like Battle network 5, Starforce, and ZX games these two games stand out and shouldn't go unnoticed. These two games were released the same year as a combination game, similar to games like Pokemon, red and blue, Zelda oracle of ages and seasons, but each game is unique and doesn't require the other for extended play. Each game is a remake of the first of their respective series. Mega Man Powered up is a remake based on initnal first Mega Man from December 1987 on nintendo entertainment system (Famicom in Japan) And Mega Man Maverick Hunter X is a remake based on Mega Man X from December 1993 for the super nintendo entertainment system, (Super famicom in japan). Anyway here is the low down.

NOTE: The two spoilers contain information from wikipedia.com
Gallery_20160924_155456.png

Mega Man Powered Up (known in Japan as Rockman Rockman(ロックマンロックマン?) is a side-scrollingplatform video game developed and published by Capcom. It was released for the PlayStation Portable (PSP)handheld game console in March 2006. It is a remake of the original Mega Man game released in 1987 for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). Players control the eponymous star Mega Man who must stop Doctor Wily from conquering the world using eight robots called Robot Masters. Unlike the original game, players can control these eight Robot Masters under the right circumstances. Other new features include a level creator mode and a challenge mode.
PPSSPP_20160924_151218.png

Gallery_20160924_155508.png

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, or Irregular Hunter X (イレギュラーハンターX?) in Japan, was released worldwide for the PSP between 2005 and 2008. Although the remake stays true to the original game in both gameplay and basic storyline, Maverick Hunter X features a total graphical overhaul with 3D character models and backgrounds, a remixed soundtrack, voice acting, and anime cutscenes. According to Yoshikawa, the character illustrations were updated to resemble both toys and the designs of Mega Man X8. In addition to these changes, many power-ups in Maverick Hunter X, such as the armor capsules, are relocated to different levels. The remake also has a few extras including an original video animation titled "The Day of Sigma (Σ)" (which serves as a storyline prequel) and an unlockable mode to play through the game as the character Vile. Inafune implemented this mode to offer players a new perspective on the game through the eyes of a villain, feeling it would be "too obvious and boring" given an option to play as Zero.

NOTE: ACCORDING TO WIKIPEDIA THE GAME WAS RELEASED IN JAPAN DECEMBER OF 2005 AND NOTRH AMERICA IN JANUARY 2006 (WHICH IS THE ONE I AM USING SINCE I AM FROM AMERICA) I AM AWARE OF THE OBVIOUS COPYRIGHT YEAR IN THE PICTURE.
PPSSPP_20160924_151507.png

One thing i like to point out is these two games are remakes exlusive to PSP, while the other games for systems like Nintendo ds focused on different stories all together like i said, Starforce, ZX and battle network, is curious why make only 2 games for this system and also remakes. Another curious aspect of this is the fact the remakes are based off games initnally made exclusive to nintnedo, before other console got ports, I do wonder.

Another thing i seem to recently come across is the fact the mega man powered up has more content to offer compared to maverick hunter X, In the X game, you play as mega man, and as spoiler for anyone, once you finish the game you can unlock a movie (See description above) And play as vile. (No not zero, VILE, the bad guy who beats you in the first stage) with his own story, There is few differences like addition of hard mode, it makes the game little more challenging by adding additional actions to bosses when low on health and altered damage calculations to be in their favor. You play through the game like normal except enemies are arranged to be more difficult than with x, Items like Hearts and E-Tanks are moved to different locations, and vile has unique customization parts you aquire from defeated bosses unlike X who just take the bosses weapon or find dr. light capsules. The last fight instead of sigma is X&Zero. Now when you complete game and save, you can play the voice acting uses the cast from X8 and most of is modern style. It also includes playable demo for Powered up.

Now Mega man powered up uses super deformed (commonly abbreivated to "SD" or CHIBI) character art style, it features a old original stage layout and gameplay mostly faithful to NES game and arranged that has a intro stage explaining back story to the game, a difficulty setting of Easy normal and hard, as well as new stages, music alternative paths and collectables and 2 additional bosses, clock man and oil man.

Oil man is featured in mega man III for DOS PC (Don't ever play that game please) As you can see in this picture, along with some other boses from few megaman games, Sharkman is The fish seller guy's net navi in Megaman battle network series, Fire man who is also from Mega man Battle network is MR.Match's net navi who is renamed Torch man for some reason. Blade man is a boss in Mega man 10 and wave man is from mega man 5. No idea who bit man is, but look like hard man.
latest

The two bosses time man and oil man are based off the archie comics, which i never read before, so perhaps that is why.
Anyway, you can play as all 8 bosses, Including Protoman and Roll who apperently has multiple playstyles unique to each costume she can wear, Megaman also can be selected to slide and use charge shots or go gearless as classic "ROCK" who attacks using kicks instead of mega buster. So that is like 11 characters. There is also challenge mode, 10 for each character with total of with the last set being special cases for total of 100. Is hard to feel like you finished the game with so much to do.

One huge thing i wanna mention is the game has a Stage builder. Similar to mario maker you can create custom courses to play. During the game you must find stage bilder parts that can be used to build courses. They are well hidden so far you need to replay every stage with the 8 robot masters you unlock as some areas are only accessable by them specificly, making the replay value either worth it or more tedious and boring depending on the player. Just like mario maker, you can upload stages to Nintendo network to share with others? Well 10 years ago, you had the same thing with this mega man game. I checked and the server is till up and people are still playing, making, uploading and downloading stages! Stages can be made to use specific characters, specific options for mega man special weapons, end boss, or simply party ball goal and even checkpoints. Still i see is a very well thought out game and seem like more effort put into it than maverick hunter with is lack of content but both are great to try non the less.

Anyway next year will be mega man 30 anniversary, hoping to see good things, a lot better things than everything between the last 15 years, with the mega man x7 and x8, cancelled megaman universe, mega man legends 3DS and probably something else, Ignoring fan demands for new game and favoring and prioritizing Street fighter 25 anniversary over Megaman with a simple License of a fan made game (Which i am not saying the game was bad but really capcom???) I hope to see something good. Take a lesson from Sega, they are on the right track now with Sonic mania, and the other unannounced sonic game. Perhaps a cross over should be considered sometime, and finally have the Sonic Megaman we only know about in comic books.... or Super smash bros.... maybe Project X Zone 3 :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvq-eQnwNM +1