qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so amongst all of the complaints regarding Metroid: Other M, most of them involve the cutscenes/voice acting, and the rest complain about the controls. One thing I have yet to see is someone mention the fact that this game is A TOTAL RIPOFF OF METROID FUSION. Let's see here:

In Metroid Fusion, the entire game takes place on a single large space vessel, the Biologic Space Labs. This vessel is a large biosphere divided up into 6 different unique environments, named Sector 1 through Sector 6. You access each of these sectors from the Main Sector via a central elevator shaft.
In Metroid: Other M, the entire game takes place on a single large space vessel, the Bottle Ship. This vessel is a large biosphere divided up into 3 different unique environments, named Sector 1 through Sector 3. You access each of these sectors from the Main Sector via a central elevator shaft.

Metroid Fusion was the first game to include text monologues during the game to tell the story, as well as to delve into Samus's past. Samus's ship's AI, which acts as Samus's CO for the mission, reminds Samus of her old CO, Adam Malkovich. Much of the monologue text in the game involves Samus reminiscing about Adam. In the end, it turns out that the CO actually IS Adam Malkovich, in a manner of speaking, as Adam's consciousness was downloaded before his death and installed as the ship's AI. Also new is the inclusion of Navigation Rooms, where Samus is able to communicate with her CO and receive mission updates, telling you where to go, and informing you of when new upgrades are available for download to your suit.
Metroid: Other M was the first game to include cinematic cutscenes during the game to tell the story, as well as to delve into Samus's past. Samus runs into her old CO, Adam Malkovich and he asks her for her help. Most of the cutscenes in the game involve Samus reminiscing about Adam. Metroid: Other M is the only other Metroid game to include Navigation Rooms, where Samus is able to communicate with her CO and receive mission updates, telling you where to go. You only unlock new upgrades for your suit when Adam authorizes their use.

Metroid Fusion has you exploring the Biologic Space Labs after a mysterious explosion rocks the facility. All crew members aboard the ship are presumed dead, and although one of your mission objectives is to locate and rescue survivors, you later find this to be true (other than the Dachora and Etecoons). Upon further exploration of the ship, you stumble across a secret Federation research project in a Restricted Laboratory, which is designed to detach from the station and self-destruct in the event of a threat to the Laboratory. In this Laboratory the Federation is breeding Metroids cloned from the hatchling Samus rescued from SR388. When Samus inadvertently leads the SA-X to the Restricted Laboratory, the self-destruct is triggered and the Laboratory detaches from the station and self-destructs.
Metroid: Other M has you exploring the Bottle Ship after a distress call, or "baby's cry" leads Samus to a new mission to distract her from her grief over the death of the hatchling. One of your mission objectives is to locate and rescue survivors. Upon further exploration of the ship, you stumble across a secret Federation research project in Sector 0, which is designed to detach from the station and self-destruct in the event of a threat to the facility. In this facility the Federation is breeding Metroids cloned from the hatchling Samus rescued from SR388. Adam enters the facility with the intent of destroying it and the Metroids with it, the self-destruct is triggered and Sector 0 detaches from the station and self-destructs. Strangely enough, in Metroid Fusion, they claim that they didn't think they would be able to create a queen, despite already having done so on the Bottle Ship. Also, the AI version of Adam in Metroid Fusion seems to support the Metroid breeding project, while he vehemently opposed it in Metroid: Other M, to the extent of sacrificing his own life to destroy the earlier program.

In Metroid Fusion, your main nemesis is a clone of Samus, and the final boss is an Omega Metroid.
In Metroid: Other M, your main nemeses are clones of Ridley, Mother Brain, and a cloned Queen Metroid, and the final boss is some kind of freakish Metroid that oddly resembles Phantoon.

Both games feature Nightmare, a boss not found in any other game.

I seem to remember more, but this is just off the top of my head. Sure there are differences, but this still covers a major chunk of the really important points of each game, and I think it is enough to warrant an accusation of blatant plagiarism. Seriously, Nintendo needs to bring the Metroid franchise back in-house. We've seen what they can do with the Zelda and Mario franchises, so why do they keep outsourcing the Metroid franchise? It just doesn't make sense. Maybe after seeing what has become of the series will wake them up to this fact. This isn't a case of biting the hand that feeds, more like selling that food back to the hand at a premium profit. Metriod Fusion was the last in-house Metroid game published to date, and now we have Metroid: Other Fusion feeding off of that brilliant game. I really wanted to love this game, but every time I had that feeling of deja vu poking at the back of my mind it just annoyed me. When I had finished the game and realized just how much of the game had given me that feeling, it killed me. I will probably run through the game one more time just to do a 100% completion speedrun, but that's it. I just can't stand thinking about how much of a ripoff this game is.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah.. because a game in it's own series is totally not allowed to use aspects from previous games.

Looks like FFIX is a ripoff of VIII which is a ripoff of VII, eh?

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm saying it's completely reusing key plot elements. Plus there's the whole OMG THEY'RE BREEDING METROIDS deal, but if they had already done that in Other M (chronologically before Fusion), then it wouldn't be the huge surprise that it was in Fusion. They are the two games in the series with the most storytelling and yet they both tell the exact same story. It was one thing when it was just go to the planet, kill everything, escape from the self-destruct sequence. Once you actually introduce storytelling you can't do this.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
qwertymodo said:
I'm saying it's completely reusing key plot elements. Plus there's the whole OMG THEY'RE BREEDING METROIDS deal, but if they had already done that in Other M (chronologically before Fusion), then it wouldn't be the huge surprise that it was in Fusion. They are the two games in the series with the most storytelling and yet they both tell the exact same story. It was one thing when it was just go to the planet, kill everything, escape from the self-destruct sequence. Once you actually introduce storytelling you can't do this.

They can do whatever they want.

I guess is that they cant make a good enough plot that can tell another story without conflicting with the previous games' storyline.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FFVII -> Protect the planet from Sephiroth.
FFIX -> Protect the planet from Kuja.
FFX -> Protect the planet from Sin / Yu Yevon.

Most RPGs have VERY similar storylines, but you don't see people saying "oh wow, this game is such a ripoff of that game" especially when they're of the same series.
Many anime and movies have similar storylines. Yeah, you see people relating them sometimes, but people rarely ever bash one or the other because of it.

If you didn't enjoy Other M, just say it. You don't need to just start pulling blatant facts like these out and making such a big deal of it.

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
But this is the same Samus in the same timeline and here we are redoing it all... it's one thing to reuse plot elements in completely unrelated stories but now this is all canon... it's frakkin deja vu all over again.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, if you consider them "separate" for one moment, which game did you prefer more?
As long as you enjoyed playing it, that's what ultimately matters.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Other M has waaaayy too many things wrong with it to point at element reuse as a central culprit. Sure, it would've been better if they'd done something new, but element reuse doesn't inherently devalue a game, even a story-based one. A new setting wouldn't fix Other M's other problems.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda series does the same thing.

I wouldn't call it a rip off, it does seem more sparse than other 3D Metroid titles and even Super Metroid.

makezione

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if they would make 100% awesome game with awesome storyline, there would still be people bitching about it. Sad but true.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I personally love M:OM. Its new control scheme is refreshing in my opinion, and I don't play these games for the story anyways. I play them to kill whatever gets in my way, get as many upgrades as I can, and fight some challenging bosses. As long as the game provides that, I'm okay with it.

Besides, your argument is invalid if you think each Pokemon title is unique (IF, I'm not saying you do). It's been the same story (at the core, at least) since the very first game. That's like saying each new Pokemon games is plagiarizing from the games before it.

boondoklife said:
What is the CO abbreviation in the OP? Corrections Officer was the only thing I could think of but I don't think Samus has one of those... Or does she?
That would be Commanding Officer, actually. You were close.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I tried making chocolate lava cakes the other day in cupcake pan, what a mess, my lava exploded...