Homebrew Minecraft DS - 2D !

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Almost got torches working!

torch_almost.png

I just have to figure out how to make them shine upwards...

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using a 2D tiled Background, but nevermind, I got it working finally.

torch_working.png

Now I just need to make it work so that I can remove the torches and update light properly (while not requiring a WHOLE chunk update).

LeRodeur

Trophies
XP
Country
France
why not using a small array containing the light rate of each tile? it can be updated when moving and not consuming many ressources if managed propoerly
So that when you add a light, you add a certain value of light to the tile, when you take it off, just lower the value by the same amount

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hrm, I don't think I made my self clear enough.
Here is a part of world.h
typedef struct{
int blocks[WORLD_WIDTH+1][WORLD_HEIGHT+1];
int data[WORLD_WIDTH+1][WORLD_HEIGHT+1]; //Plus1??? So If something happens the DS does not read outside of the array
int brightness[WORLD_WIDTH+1][WORLD_HEIGHT+1];
int lightemit[WORLD_WIDTH+1][WORLD_HEIGHT+1];
int ChoosedBlock;
bool DELmode;
int CamY;
int CamX;
int version; //To keep track of the world version number
}worldObject;

I am using a brightness array, I was just having trouble with the compution of the actual light values.
I got it working fine on a whole chunk basis, but that's kinda slow for when I just add a single torch. (Not too slow for loading a map however!)
I was having trouble writeing the updateBrightnessAround(x,y) function...

Anyways, I eventually wrote that function and got it working well...
torches_2.png

I'm quite happy with torches now, and am going to fix the slow down as I approach the end of the map bug... Just fixed it!

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I just thought in case you wanted more item slots in chests, you could also make it consume an invisible space above it like to allow it to open and then you could make the invisible space another entity to store more values. I know in real Minecraft you cannot open a chest unless a transparent block is above it (including air), but you could just make nothing be allowed there to use the block's int values for the chest.

Reactions: 1 person

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WOW!

That's a fantastic idea, I can't believe i didn't think of that.
If I actually need to implement chests like that, I probably will.
However MineDS (The thing I'm rewriting) will not need that, as mobs/entity's can load and save as much data as they want.

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, and did you ever get the title screen example graphics? Also, so are you renaming the topic to MineDS basically when you finish rewriting the "fundamentals" of the game.

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know. I wonder where Coolas/Ray went. They haven't replied or editted anything recently. Probably just no time.

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, and did you ever get the title screen example graphics? Also, so are you renaming the topic to MineDS basically when you finish rewriting the "fundamentals" of the game.
Yep, I did and here is a pic of me showing it in action:
titlescreen1.png

NOTE: This is ALREADY old!
TilesandParticles.png
EDIT: I don't know if I can rename the topic, Ray isn't really working on this anymore and I'll probably have to make a new thread.

I know. I wonder where Coolas/Ray went. They haven't replied or editted anything recently. Probably just no time.
For me, it's just that I've been playing the real minecraft way too much.
For ray however:
CoolAs: Are you still wanting to code for Mine DS?
Ray: Not really. I think I couldnt port all the things to Mine DS and atm I have no time. Maybe later if all is ported.

Yeah. I'm gonna try and start coding in a bit. Maybe I can continue working on it.
Really?
I'd really like some help on this project.
If you need help setting up the environment or learning some C(++) just PM me.

ThatGuy25

Flutternaut Recon.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hrm, I don't think I made my self clear enough.
Here is a part of world.h
typedef struct{
int blocks[WORLD_WIDTH+1][WORLD_HEIGHT+1];
int data[WORLD_WIDTH+1][WORLD_HEIGHT+1]; //Plus1??? So If something happens the DS does not read outside of the array
int brightness[WORLD_WIDTH+1][WORLD_HEIGHT+1];
int lightemit[WORLD_WIDTH+1][WORLD_HEIGHT+1];
int ChoosedBlock;
bool DELmode;
int CamY;
int CamX;
int version; //To keep track of the world version number
}worldObject;

I am using a brightness array, I was just having trouble with the compution of the actual light values.
I got it working fine on a whole chunk basis, but that's kinda slow for when I just add a single torch. (Not too slow for loading a map however!)
I was having trouble writeing the updateBrightnessAround(x,y) function...

Anyways, I eventually wrote that function and got it working well...
torches_2.png

I'm quite happy with torches now, and am going to fix the slow down as I approach the end of the map bug... Just fixed it!

I like the torches, by the way.

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: I don't know if I can rename the topic, Ray isn't really working on this anymore and I'll probably have to make a new thread.

For me, it's just that I've been playing the real minecraft way too much.

Lol. Yeah, this topic got a bit long/cluttered so starting a new topic would be ideal. And for Ray, it sounds like he's just getting lazy in my opinion. Let me go unfriend him...

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, not yet.

Please stop asking about it.
We know you want it and I actually want it myself, and it IS on my TODO list.
Also, you only have to look at the first page of this topic to find out whether we have released a new version, that might include multiplayer

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably, however I might have to make a new thread because Ray has quit, I can't edit the first post.

But the first post of either this thread, or the coming thread will be changed to say that multiplayer is in the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3