Trophies
Website
ds-scene.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
boktor666 said:
Sausage Head said:
extracting a level from a ROM and then "including" it in a homebrew game is probably impossible. how would the homebrew "read" the file?

also, i was wondering from the beginning of this "idea", how one can see things underground. from the camera angle in LEGO Battles: Ninjago you can't see underground -- mining would be impossible.
You are right about that you know. But, he mentioned that he didnt want to go digging in there. However, I can't see how this is going to be MINEcraft then.
Well there you have a point... I will think about this.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's just like it's been said countless times already. Either you ditch Isometry or you create a 3D engine that'll remove patches of ground as you mine, so that only the level you are on is visible. That's the only way I see it happening with that perspective.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but this just won't work unless you have a solid team of programmers, a shitload of time and at least some experiance.

NobodyAtAll

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DS's RAM can't handle it. My computer freezes every now and then from it and I have a good graphics card. There is a port to the PSP called LameCraft but it's just the classic version.

digidude13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
DSGamer64 said:
I asked Notch via Twitter if there is a possibility of it being ported to the 3DS after the final version has gone live at the end of the year, but I didn't get a response. With the game having a built in 3D support feature, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to port the game over for the 3DS. I'd personally love it, but I want to be able to play the maps on both my computer and my 3DS.

Impossible. You didn't have to ask high and low to get an answer to that question.

Minecraft uses voxel graphics which require quite alot of computing power and even more memory to be efficiently used. Forget about this game ever being released for the 3DS. I think an NGP port would be possible though.

It IS going to be released on the Vita (NGP) notch is releasing it on the xperia play which is a dual stick psp phone and will be ported to the Vita in due time.

maco_kid

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
God, this was the best idea in 10 hours
tongue.gif
!
I could help but i only can make it in 2D. Which isn't worth it - for me nor for you NOR for the other guys who are waiting to play Minecraft on DS.
BTW what's your 3DS FC mine is:
3965 - 0058 - 2456

Thanks,
Alex.
rolleyes.gif

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to let you people know that I've been working on a little "port" (more of an adaptation really) of minecraft for the past few days. It's not much as of yet but it's coming along nicely. I'll be keeping you posted if you're interested.
smile.gif

Anyway, this is what I've got so far :
MCDS1.png
MCDS2.png
MCDS3.png

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
smealum said:
Just wanted to let you people know that I've been working on a little "port" (more of an adaptation really) of minecraft for the past few days. It's not much as of yet but it's coming along nicely. I'll be keeping you posted if you're interested.
smile.gif

MCDS1.png
MCDS2.png
MCDS3.png
HOLY SHIT! ur making it 3d? YAY
biggrin.gif
will i tuse wi fi? and have all functios of minecraft on pc? Wehn its done i recommend homebrew bounty when its next on
biggrin.gif

When do we expect beta release?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
smealum said:
smile.gif

-snip-

.nds or it never happened. The DS doesn't have nearly enough RAM space for this.

EDIT: Ah, it's that 3D engine that's getting alot of attention on the DS lately, isn't it? Wouldn't the blocks be non-editable if you use that, though?

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
smealum said:
smile.gif

-snip-[/img]

.nds or it never happened. The DS doesn't have nearly enough RAM space for this.

http://smealum.net/mcds/mcDS_030711.nds
Bear in mind this is a very early demo, it's very glitchy, it WILL crash. It wasn't meant to be released publicly, but I don't really mind as long as you understand this isn't anywhere near the final version.
tongue.gif

(the demo uses nitroFS, so either run it on emu, hbmenu or make sure your cart supports it)

QUOTE(Foxi4 @ Jul 3 2011, 11:47 PM)
EDIT: Ah, it's that 3D engine that's getting alot of attention on the DS lately, isn't it? Wouldn't the blocks be non-editable if you use that, though?
Not sure what you mean, I wrote the engine for this from scratch and I'm still working on it. Anyway the map is fully editable, in this demo you can remove blocks by pressing L and add some by pressing R. (and change the selected block type using Y/B... just be sure not to use 0; also, the cube selection algorithm is very picky right now, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work very well)

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Whoah, if that will get fully playable (worlds not as big as on PC of course), it will be totally awesome.
biggrin.gif

(fully playable as placing, removing blocks (like survivalmode, not classic mode), crafting tools and stuff, maybe some monsters as well?)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hmm... Interesting work. Not exactly sure what the B button does, is it just refreshing the Draw Distance?

Other than some noclipping issues, this actually looks quite dandy. Not sure how you'll handle block deletion though.

As expected, the generated map is rather small, that's why I said that making MineCraft for the DS in full 3D is a rather "distant" dream, probably obtainable only for a 3in1 owner.

I've been fiddling with Nitro myself lately... Wild guess, you're using buffers to keep the map in place, or is it a static, non-expanding map?

From the first glance I was convinced it's that SandBox engine I've seen "only in tech demos".

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Hmm... Interesting work. Not exactly sure what the B button does, is it just refreshing the Draw Distance?
It basically deactivates the two-pass rendering system. You can more or less do the opposite by pressing start. You can then try holding select to see nice colors.
tongue.gif

Foxi4 said:
Other than some noclipping issues, this actually looks quite dandy. Not sure how you'll handle block deletion though.
Block deletion is already handled, try pressing L while looking directly at a block.
smile.gif

Foxi4 said:
As expected, the generated map is rather small, that's why I said that making MineCraft for the DS in full 3D is a rather "distant" dream, probably obtainable only for a 3in1 owner.
Yeah, holding a map any (significantly, I still have like 1MB of ram left) bigger than that would require more ram. It would probably be very doable on DSi for example. I'm still trying to figure out ways streaming levels would work, but so far I haven't come up with anything that doesn't involve a at least a one second loading every time the player tries to go from one patch of map to another...

QUOTE(Foxi4 @ Jul 4 2011, 12:30 AM)
I've been fiddling with Nitro myself lately... Wild guess, you're using buffers to keep the map in place, or is it a static, non-expanding map?
Not sure what you mean, so I can't really answer.
tongue.gif

But as I said, this will (if it's ever completed) be a limited version of the original game, so don't expect anything too extravagant. As I said, a DSi version could probably do a lot more stuff, but I don't have a DSi so I couldn't know for sure.
tongue.gif

Also, survival isn't completely out of the question as of now, but I'll be focusing on getting the classic version of the game working first.
smile.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What you *could* try doing is using a 3-dimensional array that holds block info and set the draw distance to, say, 10 blocks in each dimension. When the player moves, one "row of columns" of the map would be loaded while one on the oposite side would be removed from behind the player where you can't see it anyways. That way, you'll be able to stream only a partition of the map where the player is standing on.

Like, Map[DimensionX][DimensionY][DimensionZ] = 1 for block, 0 for no block in bool's or 0 for no block, 1 for grass, 2 for stone etc. in unsigned 8-byte's.

How does that sound to ya?

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
What you *could* try doing is using a 3-dimensional array that holds block info and set the draw distance to, say, 10 blocks in each dimension. When the player moves, one "row of columns" of the map would be loaded while one on the oposite side would be removed from behind the player where you can't see it anyways. That way, you'll be able to stream only a partition of the map where the player is standing on.

Like, Map[DimensionX][DimensionY][DimensionZ] = 1 for block, 0 for no block in bool's or 0 for no block, 1 for grass, 2 for stone etc. in unsigned 8-byte's.

The problem with something like this is that you'd be loading a lot of data all the time and that loading times on the DS are quite unpredictable as they vary from cart to cart. There's also the fact that to render stuff efficiently you first need to somewhat preprocess it, and doing this in addition to all the stuff that has to be done on a frame to frame basis would be very hard (at least doing it seamlessly). Finally, there's the fact that you can't efficiently copy just one row (or plane) to a tridimensional array; because of the very nature of the data organization, you can't just copy one big chunk of memory, and that means more processing time is required...
Not sure how clear I was, but anyway, I'll think of something, don't worry.
tongue.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
smealum said:
Foxi4 said:

The problem with something like this is that you'd be loading a lot of data all the time and that loading times on the DS are quite unpredictable as they vary from cart to cart. There's also the fact that to render stuff efficiently you first need to somewhat preprocess it, and doing this in addition to all the stuff that has to be done on a frame to frame basis would be very hard (at least doing it seamlessly). Finally, there's the fact that you can't efficiently copy just one row (or plane) to a tridimensional array; because of the very nature of the data organization, you can't just copy one big chunk of memory, and that means more processing time is required...
Not sure how clear I was, but anyway, I'll think of something, don't worry.
tongue.gif

Who says anything about copying? Keep all the "possible" blocks pre-prepared in buffers and simply "clone" them into the X/Y/Z values on the map, there's no loading involved at all. The map *is* built from pre-rendered blocks, isn't it?

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Foxi4 said:
Who says anything about copying? Keep all the "possible" blocks pre-prepared in buffers and simply "clone" them into the X/Y/Z values on the map, there's no loading involved at all. The map *is* built from pre-rendered blocks, isn't it?

Where is the rest of the map going to be stored if it all can't fit in the ram?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nowhere. Only the "displayed" part of the map would be actively in RAM, much like what the Unreal engine did with its enormous for the time maps. The array can be stored in binary on the card and browsed via NitroFS using fseek.

Besides, I'm just throwin' around ideas. A good brainstorm is "good".
wink.gif

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Foxi4 said:
Nowhere. Only the "displayed" part of the map would be actively in RAM, much like what the Unreal engine did with its enormous for the time maps. The array can be stored in binary on the card and browsed via NitroFS using fseek.

Besides, I'm just throwin' around ideas. A good brainstorm is "good".
wink.gif

That explains the loading times, reading the rest of the map from a file system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: To ensure Florida is the freest state in the country, we will ban colors.