Homebrew Miracast.

dishe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...is the one killer app the Homebrew channel is missing.
Has there ever been any attempts to bring it to the wii?

dishe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not possible. It has specific network and GPU requirements that the Wii does not have.
Ah, yes. The network requirements part makes sense, as WiFi direct probably would require major modification to the code controlling the network layer. Not impossible, but so far beyond worth doing in complexity that it might as well be.
As far as GPU, I don't see why it would require anything more complicated than a VNC client. Miracast has protocols to work entirely in lower resolution, just like VNC, and doesn't seem to care if there is lag or very slow refresh rate (at least, the receiving app I tried on an old tablet to accept the live screen from my phone didn't seem to care if it was slow and laggy). But yeah, without WiFi direct, I suppose there's no point.

dishe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It also would require support for HDCP DRM, which is digital. No handshakes between the Wii/display so that's out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast#Functionality
There's just too many things the Wii doesn't support in the mandatory functionality, like 1280x720p30.

So I see 720p/30 is supposedly "Mandatory", but I've also seen a hobbled-together receiver client for ARM devices that ran on hardware which didn't support 720p either, and it would just take a 480 stream instead (which I know is an option on real receivers too). As for HDCP, I'm pretty sure this hobbled app was written in China and designed to run on hardware which doesn't support any sort of DRM either. Likely those streams just wouldn't play. I never tried it for anything beyond live screen casting, with a somewhat delayed and slowed frame rate. But if I really wanted to do that with a Wii, the already existing VNC client would probably be just as effective. Anyway, good information thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, The response from the page said it had too many connections. So perhaps, flooded traffic?