Homebrew misadventures with installing 600+ .cias

bellisornot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so ill try to summarize succinctly... i decided to put all of the US 3ds library on my 2dsxl (because ppl are so interested in knowing why, I am both working on completing every single ds and 3ds game ever made, and i also wanted to turn my switch into a true living library for the purpose of data preservation), knowing about the 300 tile limit i installed 3dsbank and counted up all my spare tiles and installed that many games overnight.

when i checked in the morning all the installs went successful but overwrote many of my tiles on the homescreen including fbi, hbmenu, but oddly enough it left about 30 ish free unused spaces at the end. so, i verified i still have the old titles in fbi (i was able to inject fbi to the health and safety app with godmode and then use that fbi app to reinstall my hb cias. anyways so i verified the titles that were overwrote are still installed and indeed they are and they launch and all BUT my issue is now when i launch a game from fbi when i try to use the home button to return it freezes my console and i must pull sd card to force reboot.

as it is now this is fine as i can technically still play my entire library but its far from ideal
both in the fact that i cant use 3dsbank and that i get a hard crash when i try to exit a game with the home button.

sorry if this is word salad i just woke up.

Last edited by bellisornot,

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so ill try to summarize succinctly i decided to put all of the US 3ds library on my 2dsxl, knowing about the 300 tile limit i installed 3dsbank and counted up all my spare tiles and installed that many games overnight. when i checked in the morning all the installs went successful but overwrote many of my tiles on the homescreen including fbi, hbmenu, but oddly enough it left about 30 ish free unused spaces at the end. so, i verified i still have the old titles in fbi (i was able to inject fbi to the health and safety app with godmode and then use that fbi app to reinstall my hb cias. anyways so i verified the titles that were overwrote are still installed and indeed they are and they launch and all BUT my issue is now when i launch a game from fbi when i try to use the home button to return it freezes my console and i must pull sd card to force reboot. as it is now this is fine as i can technically still play my entire library but its far from ideal both in the fact that i cant use 3dsbank and that i get a hard crash on using the home button when i do get into a game. sorry if this is word salad i just woke up.
Are you sure the console is frozen and isn’t just taking a million years to read your data and load ?

My 64gb sd card can take a hot minute to load the home menu at times I can’t imagine how long a larger sd card would take

Reactions: bellisornot

bellisornot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sad to report i let it sit for 20 mins and it is indeed frozen. I also dont think the amount of items on the homescreen is the issue as it boots up fine initially but only freezes when trying to go back from a game launched in fbi

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don’t do that
Seriously, you can only have 300 titles on your 3DS and quite honestly it’s stupid to install this many games. Best you can do is restart and clean up the data using the system settings. Then just don’t install 600 CIAs

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't ever do this to your 3DS. You can only have around 300 titles on your 3DS, and you're only going to play around 4 or less games. Not worth the effort to fill up the storage to the point that its unusable. My advice to you, is maybe clean up space and restart your 3DS.

Reactions: BigOnYa

siangana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It sounds like you're encountering a common issue with large numbers of installations on the 3DS. The system has a limitation on the number of titles it can handle. Your freezing issue might be due to overloading the system. I recommend reducing the number of installed games, and consider using a larger SD card

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so ill try to summarize succinctly i decided to put all of the US 3ds library on my 2dsxl, knowing about the 300 tile limit i installed 3dsbank and counted up all my spare tiles and installed that many games overnight. when i checked in the morning all the installs went successful but overwrote many of my tiles on the homescreen including fbi, hbmenu, but oddly enough it left about 30 ish free unused spaces at the end. so, i verified i still have the old titles in fbi (i was able to inject fbi to the health and safety app with godmode and then use that fbi app to reinstall my hb cias. anyways so i verified the titles that were overwrote are still installed and indeed they are and they launch and all BUT my issue is now when i launch a game from fbi when i try to use the home button to return it freezes my console and i must pull sd card to force reboot. as it is now this is fine as i can technically still play my entire library but its far from ideal both in the fact that i cant use 3dsbank and that i get a hard crash on using the home button when i do get into a game. sorry if this is word salad i just woke up.
It is likely just loading. Having that much shit can take minutes to load sometimes.

bellisornot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't ever do this to your 3DS. You can only have around 300 titles on your 3DS, and you're only going to play around 4 or less games. Not worth the effort to fill up the storage to the point that its unusable. My advice to you, is maybe clean up space and restart your 3DS.
why? there is no actual harm to the console its just a minor inconvenience at best. the 300 title limit is completely superficial as you can download more than 300 titles and just launch them from FBI instead of the home screen.
Post automatically merged:

Don’t do that
Seriously, you can only have 300 titles on your 3DS and quite honestly it’s stupid to install this many games. Best you can do is restart and clean up the data using the system settings. Then just don’t install 600 CIAs
its not true that you can only have 300 titles. you can only have 300 icons on your homescreen.

JUST W H Y ?
im working on beating every 3ds and ds game ever made

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
why? there is no actual harm to the console its just a minor inconvenience at best. the 300 title limit is completely superficial as you can download more than 300 titles and just launch them from FBI instead of the home screen. thats not true you can only have 300 titles. you can only have 300 icons on your homescreen.
Maybe learn from the people in this thread. Nobody is going to help you if you're going to be quite rude, no offense.

Reactions: BigOnYa

bellisornot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe learn from the people in this thread. Nobody is going to help you if you're going to be quite rude, no offense.
hard to understand how you could possible read remotely anything ive said as "rude". ive stated nothing but facts and used 0 derogatory or aggressive language. if you fail to understand that more than 300 titles can be installed to a 3ds i dont know what to say at this point.

not to mention you literally laugh reacted my response and then sequentially accuse ME of being rude. projection much? please dont comment on my post if youre going to be a jerk

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do remember that the 3DS has very limited ram and will have to store all additional information about the installed titles in ram, in addition to the ram that the currently running game is using.
What happens is very likely that the amount of titles you have installed is so large that the 3DS can't handle both a suspended game and the Homescreen at the same time, but can handle either separately.

Really the only solution is to swallow your pride and uninstall a bunch of software until it no longer crashes, then just play what's installed, delete them, install the new ones, and play those. You don't need to have every single game installed at once in order to play them, you only have two hands and one brain, so serialize that shit.

Also save data is separate from installed titles, and as far as I know has no limit since it's only loaded as needed even in the settings app. As such you can keep track of your quest to play every single title using the save data instead.

Alternatively buy more 3DS systems and split the games out over those.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
why? there is no actual harm to the console its just a minor inconvenience at best. the 300 title limit is completely superficial as you can download more than 300 titles and just launch them from FBI instead of the home screen.

its not true that you can only have 300 titles. you can only have 300 icons on your homescreen.

im working on beating every 3ds and ds game ever made
Although you can use FBI to launch games past the 300 title limit, it’s highly recommended to just keep within the 300 limit and remove games when you are done with them. The only thing you are accomplishing is creating unneeded clutter for yourself by even going to 300, let alone thinking about 600. Quite honestly, I am not going to help you with this one, this is just silly if you think you can play through 600 games. You are literally causing yourself problems.

bellisornot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess no one read the part of the post where i said this only happens i exit a game which is a VERY insignificant issue lmfao. i was mostly curious why my ds shows like 30 extra spaces when its already overwriting tiles. i really didnt think such a light hearted and fun idea would get such negative backlash tbh but anyways like i said i still have all 600+ games installed and working just fine... really not a huge deal to have to power cycle my system when im done playing something.... hope you guys have a better day or something ill be over here having the time of my life owning a living archive of every america 3ds release in pocket form.... side note the dsi xl is the best handheld nintendo ever made love u guys watch attack on titan its rly good <3

yeah nahhh you ain't doing dat :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
lol probably not but im gonna try and make a big dent! ive been working on filling out playtimes on unbeaten howlongtobeat entries. its fun!

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread should have been labeled as "I didn't stop think I should have done this, but I installed 600+ titles anyways and completely ignored the potential consequences."

I'm going to be extremely frank, and it's going to come off rude, but this is stupid. You aren't playing all of these games at once, and you certainly won't actually play EVERY title that the platform has period, EVER, even if you just specify USA entries, you still won't play every single one. How and why can people do things like this, this is beyond my comprehension. I've encountered too many people who do stuff like this (concerning to say the least), and whenever one talks about having issues after doing this, I can't help but think "well no shit, gee I wonder why? Could it be because you are installing and forcing the system to read way more data than it was designed to handle?" I get not everyone is technical, but it doesn't take rocket science to understand reality and realize you don't need to do that, not to mention the obvious signs the systems present, like the massive drop in performance, especially with just navigations, there's no practical, logical, or good reason to do this, there's more cons than their are pros (if there really is any pros worthy to talk about here, I don't think there is any at all). The more this happens, the more annoying it gets, and the more I believe some people should simply stay far away from any piece of technology, because honestly you will do nothing more than ensure an early demise with anything you touch or look at wrong, if not bust them up beforehand.

As stated, this is probably coming off rude, but someone needs to rip the bandaid off and put some blunt sense into this. These are consoles, they have limits much like anything else, respect them, be more reasonable, be more intelligent, have some common sense. Seriously, it isn't rocket science.

bellisornot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone here interested in data preservation and archiving?
This thread should have been labeled as "I didn't stop think I should have done this, but I installed 600+ titles anyways and completely ignored the potential consequences."

I'm going to be extremely frank, and it's going to come off rude, but this is stupid. You aren't playing all of these games at once, and you certainly won't actually play EVERY title that the platform has period, EVER, even if you just specify USA entries, you still won't play every single one. How and why can people do things like this, this is beyond my comprehension. I've encountered too many people who do stuff like this (concerning to say the least), and whenever one talks about having issues after doing this, I can't help but think "well no shit, gee I wonder why? Could it be because you are installing and forcing the system to read way more data than it was designed to handle?" I get not everyone is technical, but it doesn't take rocket science to understand reality and realize you don't need to do that, not to mention the obvious signs the systems present, like the massive drop in performance, especially with just navigations, there's no practical, logical, or good reason to do this, there's more cons than their are pros (if there really is any pros worthy to talk about here, I don't think there is any at all). The more this happens, the more annoying it gets, and the more I believe some people should simply stay far away from any piece of technology, because honestly you will do nothing more than ensure an early demise with anything you touch or look at wrong, if not bust them up beforehand.

As stated, this is probably coming off rude, but someone needs to rip the bandaid off and put some blunt sense into this. These are consoles, they have limits much like anything else, respect them, be more reasonable, be more intelligent, have some common sense. Seriously, it isn't rocket science.
if you read my post there are actually infinite amount of pros and only ONE single con. but ok.

um like ive said many times now every single game launches and plays 100% fine from FBI the sole issue is having to power cycle in between different games (much like the old days when you had to turn off the snes to swap a cartridge) which is a very minor issue...

• Haha
Reactions: The Catboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A buttered grilled cheese pb&j? Meh