Gaming Monster Rancher Ds

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering here if this game is worth all the time I'll be spending playing it. So far it seems a little boring does it get any better?

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It doesn´t change much.
You create a Monster, Train it, go on Drills or Erants with it, fight in tournaments with it and freeze it when it´s close to dying.
So when you find it boring in the beginning, chances are you´ll still be bored at mid and endgame.

micado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's definately not worth your time!

There are some breeds "to rule them all" (eg. Dragons) and a lot of breeds worth nothing (eg Color Pandora).
The battles are nothing more than boring after a very short period of time.
Most of the time you're fiddling around through the really bad done UI, which is slow like hell, fighting your way down to options you need the most.
There is no story at all, just blatant reasons to do battling besides raising several monsters.
At the point you are able to beat the Dragon Tournament and are able to breed dragons, you can beat
all and everything with just 1 strong Vega (I've done so!).

If you are interested in raising games with a story and kind of interesting battling, you are better
off with any Digimon or Pokemon game (even the worst parts in either series are better than this "game").
EDIT: Or try Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker

If you want to know who's telling you this: read here

darkworldz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
well they were fun on the gameboy... but i guess its the same.. make golem>> str+Hp training>>do tournaments>> Grow old keep and leave to dust>> rinse and repeat with another ownage breed..

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol, it obviously isn't very popular amongst some tempers. fighting is different from your normal monster-breeding affair, seeing as you control movement, attacking and strategically using distance etc . if you raised your monster well, it can even fight by itself. you can manually control your monster's stats, unlike the usual level-up and everything changes due to some predetermined, hidden digit. you can even have a very disruptive, disobedient monster, which most games of the genre don't have. also, breeding isn't a random " may inherit this from mother, this from father" thing. you choose a main breed, a sub-reed, match different attributes, even different attacks.

PS
i still don't get why many tempers HAVE to jump on MRDS's throat every time.

micado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami357 said:
...also, breeding isn't a random " may inherit this from mother, this from father" thing. you choose a main breed, a sub-reed, match different attributes, even different attacks.
This isn't fully true.
Only 2 talents can be locked per monster (1 breeding & 1 battle), the rest is chosen randomly and even can get lost during combination.
The same with techniques, only that they cannot be locked and have a high chance of getting lost!
My biggest concern simply is, that there is no need to try out different breeds to accomplish different things.
With just 1 Vega (Zodiac Dragon) I've beaten all 4 of the "Big 4" events.
With the same Vega I was unlocking all other monsters before going for the "Big 4".
This was a 2nd gen Breed (combined out of 2 highly trained 1st gen monsters), no stat-boosting (still 999 limit), no peaches, a simply plain vanilla Vega.
I've unlocked 267 breeds, just 5 are missing and they seem to be of no interest at all (seen japanese screenshots of the 5 missing).

QUOTE(Shinigami357 @ Aug 22 2010, 06:18 PM) PS i still don't get why many tempers HAVE to jump on MRDS's throat every time.
For me it was the first MR ever and I've really given it a chance to entertain me.
The very lousy UI (done by someone who seems to have done none before), the absolutely obsolete "spell drawing" after getting a few main- and sub-breeds, out of which you can combine nearly all others without effort and the not better than others battling made it fail to me.
No story to keep the ball rolling after the fun-factor drops, really bad graphics in nearly all places, just a few cool monsters worth raising...
No, thanks.

And we are talking about the 4th or even 5th Monster Rancher game?
I really can't believe this, after playing, what looks to me like, a "newcomer game".

No more Monster Rancher for me, this one was enough for the rest of my life.
...and I really thought, the last Pokemon were the most uninspired games lately.
Monster Rancher DS has proofen to me, that it can be done even worse.

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well after hearing everything you guys had to say I don't think I'm gona get into this. I did play monster Rancher evo but it had a story which is probably why I enjoyed it more.

QUOTE said:
If you are interested in raising games with a story and kind of interesting battling, you are better
off with any Digimon or Pokemon game (even the worst parts in either series are better than this "game").
EDIT: Or try Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Sadly I've kinda gotten bored of pokemon since I played the crap out of it lol. I beat all of the digimon games on the ds besides championship. Dragon Quest monsters joker is really cool but the final boss is pretty hard.

QUOTE said:
It doesn´t change much.
You create a Monster, Train it, go on Drills or Erants with it, fight in tournaments with it and freeze it when it´s close to dying.
So when you find it boring in the beginning, chances are you´ll still be bored at mid and endgame.
I guess this just is'nt for me then lol. Only thing that would make me keep playing is if you could raise more then one monster at once at some point in the game. Can you and I mean at the same time not by freezing them and making a new one?

QUOTE said:
lol, it obviously isn't very popular amongst some tempers. fighting is different from your normal monster-breeding affair, seeing as you control movement, attacking and strategically using distance etc . if you raised your monster well, it can even fight by itself.

I wrote wolf in the magic circle thing and got a red wolf looking tiger type of monster which I put on auto and started destroying people right away lol. That's one of the things that discouraged me, it was like waht's the point or training him if he can do that.

No more Monster Rancher for me, this one was enough for the rest of my life.
...and I really thought, the last Pokemon were the most uninspired games lately.
Monster Rancher DS has proofen to me, that it can be done even worse.
I might try some of the older ones for ps2 but not on the ds.

micado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gettogaara said:
Only thing that would make me keep playing is if you could raise more then one monster at once at some point in the game. Can you and I mean at the same time not by freezing them and making a new one?
Sorry, you can't. I was hoping for this too for a longer period of time, seriously.
But after beating the crap out of all "Big 4" and still not receiving a message stating that I simply gave up.

Oh, and I forgot to tell... there is a Coliseum tournament available after beating all "Big 4", which you have to win
to be allowed to go hunt for the so called "zodiac" monsters. Everytime you beat one of them, you will receive
the code (for the "draw any shit and think of it as spell") to unlock this monster. But... why should I do this?
ALL zodiac monsters you can breed yourself by having the main breed available to you and the sub-breed from
any xy-ish monster! And this is possible very early in the game (Vega anyone?). WTF?
This game is full of misconceptions, like having nearly no money to feed your first monster and to swim in money just a few Errantrys later.
What they call a "Drill" (4 weeks of hardcore training) is a lousy game of pure luck, rolling a dice and hoping for the best.
Damn, what has training to do with rolling a dice? If you don't know, MRDS will show you.
biggrin.gif

But enough of me ranting, I am finished with this game.

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Sorry, you can't. I was hoping for this too for a longer period of time, seriously.
But after beating the crap out of all "Big 4" and still not receiving a message stating that I simply gave up.

Oh, and I forgot to tell... there is a Coliseum tournament available after beating all "Big 4", which you have to win
to be allowed to go hunt for the so called "zodiac" monsters. Everytime you beat one of them, you will receive
the code (for the "draw any shit and think of it as spell") to unlock this monster. But... why should I do this?
ALL zodiac monsters you can breed yourself by having the main breed available to you and the sub-breed from
any xy-ish monster! And this is possible very early in the game (Vega anyone?). WTF?
This game is full of misconceptions, like having nearly no money to feed your first monster and to swim in money just a few Errantrys later.
What they call a "Drill" (4 weeks of hardcore training) is a lousy game of pure luck, rolling a dice and hoping for the best.
Damn, what has training to do with rolling a dice? If you don't know, MRDS will show you.

But enough of me ranting, I am finished with this game.
Thanks for all the info man but I decided to just stop playing this game. maybe I'll pick it up again another time but for now I'm pretty much done with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk