ferjero989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
hello!
my wiiu works great for the wiiu games (500gb hdd)
and i have a 2tb drive for the wii filled with gamecube and wii games (fat32/ntfs)
is it possible to have either both on the wiiu or one big drive with wii, gc and wiiu games?

i tried using a hub on the wiiu.. it will get stuck reading.
the wii usb is a desktop drive (powered) and the wiiu drive is a portable with splitter for power.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: Alexander1970

ferjero989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As others said you can either use UStealth to use both drives at the same time or transorm the Wii and GC games into VC injects and install them just like Wii U games, eliminating one drive.

USB Sticks are generally not advised cause they (esp. cheap ones) tend to have bad wear leveling algos while the Wii U overwrites the same data blocks again and again, resulting in fast dying NAND cells in the stick.

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you be trying to switch from external hard drive (good) to flash drive (bad) Trust me from experience flash drives do work but they do not work forever. I had several die on me within a year then all your games are gone, because flash drives are not made to play intense video games they are made for simple things like a document. External hard drives can handle the games and will last

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To elaborate on what @Jayinem81 is saying hard drives are designed to be constantly written to and read from. A flash drive is designed to be constantly read from but only occasionally written to. WiiU games especially Breath of the Wild constantly write data to the HDD as you are playing. Using a flash drive on the WiiU will greatly decrease its lifespan.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had several die on me within a year
That's exactly what I mentioned above: The NAND cells will die quickly as the Wii U overwrites the same blocks (savefiles, metadata, ...) again and again. You need good wear leveling*¹ algos to counterfight that but USB sticks tend to have crappy FTLs*². SSDs are a bit better here but there are still a lot of users reporting fast dying SSDs when used with the Wii U. So one would need a expensive enterprise SSD and that's just a waste of money, esp if a HDD already exists and gets the job done just fine.
because flash drives are not made to play intense video games they are made for simple things like a document.
We wouldn't use SSDs if that would be true. It's really just about the wear leveling algos in the FTL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory_controller#Flash_translation_layer_(FTL)_and_mapping

//EDIT: Forgot one thing: USB sticks and SSDs also have backup NAND cells. When one cell dies the FTL replaces it with a backup cell. The problem here is that USB drives and cheap SSDs don't have that many backup cells...

//EDIT²: I just remembered when I messed with UBIFS - a filesystem designed to run on raw NAND / no FTL. From that some fun fact: The data on your USB sticks and SSDs corrupts continuous. Every time you access the storage it corrupts:
NAND flashes have a so called "read-disturb" property, which means that a NAND page read operation may introduce a persistent bit change, not necessarily located in the page being read; the ECC code would fix it, but more read operations may introduce more bit changes and correctable ECC errors may turn into uncorrectable ECC errors
"Read-disturb" errors can also occur on a page other that the one being read, but which is within the same eraseblock
NAND flashes also have a "program-disturb" property, which means that if you program a NAND page, you may introduce a bit-flip in a different NAND page. The bit change can be fixed by ECC, but with time the changes may accumulate and become unfixable
MLC NAND pages are coupled in a sense that if you cut power while writing to a page, you corrupt not only this page, but also one of the previous pages which is paired with the current one. For example, pages 0 and 3, 1 and 4, 2 and 5, 3 and 6 in and so on (in the same eraseblock) may be paired (page distance is 4, but there may be other distances). So if you write data to, say, page 3 and cut the power, you may end up with corrupted data in page 0
(Source: http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html )

Last edited by V10lator,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3