Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mei-o said:
Cermage said:
L4D runs off the Source engine, you should be fine even with the x1300m. just not with all the new bells and whistles.

either go to 7/xp or see if you're running on vista sp2. after that have a look into omega drivers for your card. a lot of laptop manufacturers don't update their drivers after release, so even if you should be able to run the games, your card doesn't have the optimised drivers to play them properly.
You know what's funny? I don't even have SP1!
ohmy.gif

... you might want to update to sp2, its where a majority of the improvements came from....

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it could also be that you have too little RAM. I have a older desktop in this room which sucked at internet, I trew in one new RAM chip and now it is faster in interneting than my own pc.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
67birdman said:
Dude, your running Vista; you need atleast 2 GBs of RAM if you want it to run smooth.
Vista needs 1 GB just for itself..

there are even people who run vista with 512 mb of ram...
wink.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laxman0220 said:
Njrg said:
Idiot Proof Guide

Follow directions exactly.

the fact that it's called "magic computer fixer" makes me hesitant to download it :/

its just a txt file/pics

you shouldnt follow the advice in it anyway
it says to disable video drivers and the software to maintain it to certain options

QUOTE(67birdman @ Apr 19 2010, 01:20 PM)
Dude, your running Vista; you need atleast 2 GBs of RAM if you want it to run smooth.
Vista needs 1 GB just for itself..
cool story bro

srly
i love when people talk out their ass

ive run vista ultimate fine on 512MB of ram (as the above poster also said)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's not all false. Windows is not so inflexible to say that you MUST have certain specs to run them. It just happens to be the case that Windows XP can take up to 1GB of RAM for system functions (leaving the rest in a 4GB setup to go to any other applications), and (if I remember correctly - it's been ages since reading related magazines) Vista can take up 2GB for system functions, making 3GB the ideal amount for running Vista. If only 2GB is present, it'll use up around 1GB (probably by running prefetch less often). If you've only got 512MB of RAM, then it'll prolly use 320MB of RAM for system functions (guessing here, but I assume it's scaled in a similar manner).

The first laptop I bought (as opposed to inherited from my Dad) had a 299Mhz Pentium with 160MB of RAM, yet through extensive tweaking, I got it to run XP smoothly. It could even play some movies, although some more compressed movies tended to break up. I mostly used it for MSN and playing Age of Empires 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (aside from doing homework). 8MB of graphics memory went such a long way in those days...

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you know differences in frequencies go a long way. its likely that ms use some pretty low end stuff to rate their requirements probably DDR333, or DD266. most people these days are pumping DDR2 800 or at least 667, mei-O is running 533.

the main problem with vista at the beginning was that it used the ram really poorly and manufacturers got away with using slower freq. ram because of a majority of people saying stuff like more ram = better when its not entirely true. didnt help manufacturers were selling low end-single core machines with vista on them before the service packs came out.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
its just a txt file/pics

you shouldnt follow the advice in it anyway
it says to disable video drivers and the software to maintain it to certain optionsThe drivers aren't in the startup menu, and while the speedy control panel is, that's just the shortcut icon in the system tray (and any associated shortcut keys that may be set), you can still access all the functions through the main icon in the control panel anyways. All it does it give you a link to msconfig, and a picture showing you to click the "disable all" button in the startup tab and save the changes.

Originality said:
It's not all false. Windows is not so inflexible to say that you MUST have certain specs to run them.Yes, the specs for an operating system are not like those for a game. With the operating system, the specs assume you'll be running something on top of them, since that's the obvious point of an operating system.

QUOTE(Originality @ Apr 19 2010, 02:41 PM)
It just happens to be the case that Windows XP can take up to 1GB of RAM for system functions (leaving the rest in a 4GB setup to go to any other applications), and (if I remember correctly - it's been ages since reading related magazines) Vista can take up 2GB for system functions, making 3GB the ideal amount for running Vista. If only 2GB is present, it'll use up around 1GB (probably by running prefetch less often). If you've only got 512MB of RAM, then it'll prolly use 320MB of RAM for system functions (guessing here, but I assume it's scaled in a similar manner).
A lot of people don't realize that most of vista's memory usage is for superfetch... and that superfetch's ram usage doesn't actually slow anything down because if the ram used by superfetch is needed by an active program, it's simply overwritten, it doesn't need to be paged because it's a copy of what already exists on the harddrive.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Cermage said:
you know differences in frequencies go a long way. its likely that ms use some pretty low end stuff to rate their requirements probably DDR333, or DD266. most people these days are pumping DDR2 800 or at least 667, mei-O is running 533.

the main problem with vista at the beginning was that it used the ram really poorly and manufacturers got away with using slower freq. ram because of a majority of people saying stuff like more ram = better when its not entirely true. didnt help manufacturers were selling low end-single core machines with vista on them before the service packs came out.
Actually no, memory frequency's effect on performance is pretty minimal at best.

cohna.jpg

Despite what people want to believe, there's never a single bottleneck.
In each instance of slowdown, you first need to find the problem before you can fix it.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thats comparing ddr3, which right now has some pretty minimal improvements right now over decent ddr2 (800). right now ddr3 is fairly limited by hardware (people buying ddr3@2000 when they aren't even using its full frequencies). give it a bit of time and it will flesh out. the improvement isn't anywhere near as big as the jump from ddr400 to ddr2 800 though.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1991/4

thats some pretty low timings as well. you get 800 freq sticks timed at 5-5-5 and higher, (my ocz sticks are timed at 5-5-6 and they're considered as "value" sticks). not as fast, but still quite fast, the main downfall of ddr3 is the higher latencies (i think average for ddr3 is 9-9-9?)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Cermage said:
thats comparing ddr3, which right now has some pretty minimal improvements right now over decent ddr2 (800).The chart has speeds from 1066 to 1866 and still manages terrible performance improvements for the speed increase. DDR3 works the same way as DDR2 and earlier memory, this isn't something limited to DDR3.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hardco...ir,1627-12.html
As you can see, it's the same damn thing with DDR2. Fractions of a frame per second.

Cermage said:
right now ddr3 is fairly limited by hardware (people buying ddr3@2000 when they aren't even using its full frequencies). give it a bit of time and it will flesh out. the improvement isn't anywhere near as big as the jump from ddr400 to ddr2 800 though.The performance improvement is not worth mentioning for the money spent when it comes to real-world performance, as I've shown.

QUOTE(Cermage @ Apr 19 2010, 04:57 PM)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1991/4
thats some pretty low timings as well. you get 800 freq sticks timed at 5-5-5 and higher, (my ocz sticks are timed at 5-5-6 and they're considered as "value" sticks). not as fast, but still quite fast, the main downfall of ddr3 is the higher latencies (i think average for ddr3 is 9-9-9?)
9-9-9 is still common, but there's more 8-8-8 and 7-7-7 combined on newegg.

Those are synthetic benchmarks that only measure a given part by itself, what I am showing and talking about is real-world performance, which is what what actually matters.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
whats being compared on your link on toms are all very similar sticks. looser timings, higher freqs being compared with lower freqs with tighter timings. you've got extremes of DDR2 800 timed at 3-4-3-9 being compared to DDR2 1280 timed at 5-5-5-18. 3-4-3-9 is a huge improvement over 5-5-5-18, you can see this when you've got the OCZ reapers at 1066 timed at 4-4-4-12 beating the Patriot sticks at 1280 timed at 5-5-5-18.

compare, you know more common freq ram at the same timings. flip a page on that anandtech link i had before.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1991/5

3-6fps is a worlds difference when you're struggling to even reach 20-30fps in a game.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
3-6FPS is welcome for 20-30FPS, but that's not what the benchmarks show. You can't think of improvement in concrete FPS numbers across ranges, it's percentage increases.

The best average improvement for the same type of memory on those benchmarks you linked is a 10% improvement. For high framerates, that can mean an 11 FPS improvement (such as going from DDR2-400 to DDR2-800 in Serious Sam 2), but for 20FPS, that's only a 2FPS improvement.

The only graph that shows a better improvement is Far Cry, and that's misplaced seeing all the other graphs that we've seen... furthermore, that article is from 2006 and states...
QUOTE said:
This will likely shift to patterns similar to those seen in bandwidth positioning as the AM2 memory controller is further refined and game patches make better use of AM2 capabilities.

The article I got my first benchmark from is 2009 and shows a 10% improvement at the max, sometimes going down to 1% improvement, and the second article I posted is a year and two months newer than yours, showing an absolutely pathetic increase.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
completely ignoring my point about comparing frequencies and timings right? your company of heroes bench also does that. also minimum framerates are also an enitrely different story which can be seen from the same page you pulled that CoH bench from.

dw2na.jpg

hawxna.jpg

from the anandtech page you've got 1600 CAS6 beating 1866 CAS7 in most if not all.

also from that anandtech comparison you've got a multitasking bench, which shows on average an 8% improvement on just frequencies alone, where timings don't have as much of an effect.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792/7

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Cermage said:
completely ignoring my point about comparing frequencies and timings right? your company of heroes bench also does that.No, I'm looking at the numbers in the benchmarks and doing math.

No more than a 10% improvement. At 20FPS, that's a 2FPS increase.

The benchmarks compare multiple speeds at multiple timings.
If a speed increase along with timing increases isn't doing jack shit, what do you expect a timing increase on it's own to do?

Cermage said:
also minimum framerates are also an enitrely different story which can be seen from the same page you pulled that CoH bench from.The minimum framerates do not show more of a percentage increase than the average frame rates do, and in some cases show erratic behavior such as decreases when the average framerate increased.

Cermage said:

Also from that page...
No fucking improvement.
No fucking improvement.
No fucking improvement.
No fucking improvement.
If you'll count things like 1% improvement as none (since at most speeds it's not visible to the human eye) then I could double the examples of "no fucking improvement".

In fact, that review has two pages with interesting names.
Media encoding performance: nothing to see here.
General apps that don't show an improvement.

QUOTE(Cermage @ Apr 20 2010, 06:34 PM)
also from that anandtech comparison you've got a multitasking bench, which shows on average an 8% improvement on just frequencies alone, where timings don't have as much of an effect.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792/7
And an 8% increase from 20FPS is about 22.25FPS.

I'm not saying there's never any differences, what I'm saying is that they're small and erratic enough to not fucking matter.
Money spent on better memory could be spent elsewhere for a bigger performance improvement for the money spent.

I severely doubt his laptop is running L4D slow on an ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 because of bad memory timings.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk