myuusmeow

OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Yesterday my mom took me to Fry's Electronics to buy stuff to build a new PC. I had only about a $300 budget but I think I done good. I don't really know the specific names for everything but this is the jist of it:

Mobo: ASUS M3A76-CM with HD3000 onboard graphics (Probably pretty crappy but I can always go and add a better one)
Case: Cheap Raidmax case with PSU included (380w)
CPU: AMD Athlon 7850 Dual Core 2.80GHz
RAM: Kingston 2GB 800MHz RAM
HD: Hitachi 250GB 500GB woo
DVD: DVD-ROM frankenstein'd from old eMachine
Screen: Old HP 15" 1280x1024 I had unused

I built it and installed Windows on it today and it runs great! My only previous experience with the inside of a PC was adding a graphics card.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
why not go Core2? Im not familiar with AMD and Im thinking if the one you bought is the counterpart of the DualCore of Intel. Is that a good CPU with technology or just a CPU only? Core2 has a technology like being a Centrino type. What's the counterpart of Centrino in AMD?

My PC is US$400 or Php 19,000 but it's powerful enough to run the latest 3D-hungry programs. Monitor and other peripherals not included. perhaps the US$100 was the graphics card I bought.

PC type: Self Built/ Orient Slim 27R
OrientSlim27Red_Small.jpg

Mother board: Asus P5GC-MX/1333
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz Wolfdale E7200
RAM: 2GB DDR2 667
Graphics card: ATI 512MB GeCube Radeon x1650
HDD: Seagate 160GB (forgot to tell the technician a 250GB one)
DVD Drive: Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD 7190A
Sound Card: Onboard Realtek ALC883, 6-CH High-Definition Audio CODEC

Monitor: AOC 17"

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That processor performs pretty well from last time I read... though I don't remember if I read it was better than a Pentium Dual Core in the same price range, though I DO like AMD's mobo rear panel ports and integrated graphics WAY better than Intel's. Using an AMD in my home theatre with a 3200HD integrated (equivalent to a 2400 HD dedicated GFX card) and it holds up pretty well. HDMI out without a GFX card, eSATA, Firewire, and a good integrated graphics for just 70 bucks. But you could always get a dedicated card anyways. Even so, my Pentium D at 3.00 ghz is beaten just by a little bit in a few tests by a Pentium Dual Core E2180 (2.00ghz) at about 68 bucks and an AMD Athlon x2 4850e(Energy saver series at 45 watts in the home theater) (2.50ghz) at about 55 bucks.

I can't even find any of the older Core 2 Duos anymore anyways and I don't know their prices either. I don't remember if Frys sells any of the old ones. Newegg just sells the 120+ USD ones and those are gonna end up with something 300+ in a computer build unless you have some parts that you can get from an old computer.

I'm pretty sure that Centrino just meant it was bundled with with Intel's Wireless chip+Core2 Duo in laptops... don't ever remember seeing it labeled on a computer. I'm not even sure what AMD's competing chips against the core 2s are, but I was pretty sure they were supposed to be Athlon x2s, but even those are performing and in the same price range as the Pentium Dual Cores. I think AMD's recently released Phenom II x2 and Athlon II x2 dual cores are their competitors against Core 2 Duo at about 100-110 USD.

Though now I don't even know why I've made a long post like this. AMD does have a few good options at least so don't automatically rule them out.

myuusmeow

OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
@Chris_Skylock: I went with AMD because it was a little cheaper at Fry's, I wasn't really planning on making this a gaming PC. (though now I'll probably go out and buy a low end card like a 4670) This PC even with the integrated HD3000 graphics works great! I had a 7200GS in my old (well not old) PC and it ran COD4 at 2-4FPS. On this one it runs at 15-25FPS. Still not perfect but definitely able to run the latest 3D hungry programs.

@TheWingless: This CPU does run great. I was also thinking about using it in an HTPC but now I'll probably just keeping it as a second PC.

Also, my mom made a big thing when the cashier tried to sell us "open" items, so he went back and I think to just shut us up he gave us a 500GB HD for just $3 more! Woo I didn't even notice until I was installing Windows and it asked me if I wanted to install it to a 496GB HD.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I didn't read the other guys posts, but that PSU wattage may be a downside if you want to get a better graphics card. I'm pretty sure everything from 8 series up for nVidia need at least 400W. Not sure about ATI but I'd assume the same.

As for everything else it looks great, not sure about the dvd drive since its probably pretty old but it will last awhile. I don't think I've ever had a drive die on me except for the lasers which are easy to repalce.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Golfman560 said:
I didn't read the other guys posts, but that PSU wattage may be a downside if you want to get a better graphics card. I'm pretty sure everything from 8 series up for nVidia need at least 400W. Not sure about ATI but I'd assume the same.

I had an 8600GT running on a 350W PSU until it decided to die on me.

Edit: And from what I've heard, ATI cards are less power hungry.

Frostshocker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Law said:
Golfman560 said:

I had an 8600GT running on a 350W PSU until it decided to die on me.

Edit: And from what I've heard, ATI cards are less power hungry.

the problem with those cheap PSU's is the actual average power output is alot less then stated

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raidmax is a pretty crappy company, you risk recking everything in your computer with it when it blows

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong