Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright... I've had this problem for a while now, but til now it hasn't been an issue so it never bothered me much. But now that it is becoming an issue, I really need a solution and I cannot seem to find one.

Problem: Internet works perfectly fine, but I cannot access my modem.

Details:
Router: Netgear WGT624 v4
Modem: Westell Wirespeed 2100 DSL
Router IP: 192.168.1.1
Modem IP: 192.168.1.10
Device IPs: 192.168.1.101-108

Prior to getting the Netgear, I had an old Linksys router which was eventually configured to be able to access both the router and modem at the same time and I think I had both on 192.168.1.xxx.
When I got my Netgear I reset the modem to default and connected everything up. The modem took 192.168.1.1, the Router detected this and switched to 10.0.0.1. During this time I could access both devices without issue.

I had attempted to upgrade my router with DDWRT, and for that I wanted to keep it on a 192.168.1.xxx so I changed my modem IP to 192.168.1.10 and reset the router to factory default. Eventually I gave up on DDWRT (without trying anything) as the instructions were incomplete and required more effort than I was willing to put into it.
Now I'm 'stuck' since I cannot access or ping the modem through the router, however if I connect directly to the modem everything works fine.

Is there a way to keep my modem at 192.168.1.10 and still access it through the router?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I'm not the most experienced with networking problems, but how are you trying to connect to the router? Most routers I've worked with will actively block a WiFi connected computer from being able to access its settings until it's been fully set up - in that case you either need to connect via ethernet or via USB (if it has one) to complete the setup process.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
I'm not the most experienced with networking problems, but how are you trying to connect to the router? Most routers I've worked with will actively block a WiFi connected computer from being able to access its settings until it's been fully set up - in that case you either need to connect via ethernet or via USB (if it has one) to complete the setup process.1). It's not the ROUTER I'm having a problem connecting to, it's the MODEM.
2). Not using WiFi to connect, and WiFi access works just fine.
3). Router (and Modem for that matter) are both set up and working.

QUOTE(mrgone @ Mar 1 2011, 06:16 AM) since when does a modem have an IP?

the router and the modem converse via the raspppoe protocoll, which does NOT use the IP protocoll.
Since... external broadband modems came out?
And as I mentioned, it as worked before when the Router was 10.0.0.101 and modem 192.168.1.1, but that makes all my device connections have an IP of 10.0.0.xxx.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @K3Nv2 I got some cheapies at wallys, that are pretty good, already have lost a few expensive...