N3DS XL won't turn on, no charge

Kingofknights

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My 3DS won't turn on (no bluelight) and no charge (no orange light).

One weird thing is if I remove the battery, wait till next day and insert it in again the charge light will light up for 5 seconds (charger at the time is not plugged in) then off. If I remove and insert the battery again nothing happens, but if I wait for the next day then that behavior appear again. The battery is also newly bought btw, i measured the voltage and it's output about 4.1V (higher than 3.7V but maybe it's fully charged?). The same thing happens if I plug the charger in without the battery as well, charge light will light up for 5 seconds each day, anymore attempt in the day have no response.

I've checked both the fuses and they're ok. I've read around and it could be the daughterboard is faulty?

Any help is appreciated.

Mcprosehp2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can still get replacement batteries from Nintendo though I’m not sure so you would have to look into that. That’s probably your best option instead of buying a 3rd party battery assuming that you did when you got a new battery.

Kingofknights

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo is not available in my country so that's not an option. The behavior I mentioned above worry me though. Is that a sign of short or something?

Mcprosehp2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is not available in my country so that's not an option. The behavior I mentioned above worry me though. Is that a sign of short or something?
I’m not sure I don’t know too much about the internals of the 3Ds. When you mean the battery is 4.1V it is higher than the original battery 3.7V? That might be the case if the 3Ds is getting too much voltage and shoring out. But don’t take my word for it as I don’t know much at all about that stuff I wish I could help more. I don’t know how expensive batteries are for the 3Ds but you can try getting a 3.7V and see if that works?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
4.1V is normally upper cutoff voltage (charge with constant amperage until 4.1V is reached, reduce current keeping constant voltage until falling below a certain current → Battery fully charged).

2|3DS have batteries with three connectors. I guess the third one is thermistor. The console will only turn on with a working battery, applying voltage to (+) and (-) isn't sufficient. Missing the knowledge how to fake it, I can't do experiments with a 3DS in this regard.
The DSi on the other hand can be satisfied with an external power supply. Exceeding 4.3V or 4.4V ⎓ makes the DSi shut down to protect itself. I don't think the 3DS will behave differently → 4.1V is expected and must work normally.

Try a different battery nevertheless. Voltage alone isn't telling us the battery is fully working.

I'm not remotely knowledgeable enough to provide further instructions how to proceed troubleshooting the console.

Good luck!

Reactions: r1vver

Kingofknights

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks everyone for the suggestion. I just ordered another battery, this time the shop recorded it works before shipping out so at least it's guaranteed to be a good one.

In the meantime just want to double check. The original behavior now no longer appear. When i remove the battery and plug in the charger, the orange light doesn't lit up anymore. I've read that the light should stay up for 5 seconds without the battery. Can anyone with a "New 3DS XL" tested this behavior for me? I also used a usb cable connected to a laptop if that make a difference.

That1LoserGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a new 3ds xl (2 to be exact), I can take out the battery and plug in a charger, ill respond in a sec
Post automatically merged:

I removed the battery, and when I plugged in the charger the orange charge led came on and turned off after a bit (approximately 5 seconds), I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the same thing happened, I put the battery back in and the console turned on like normal. (it turned on the way it did before I took the battery out)

Last edited by That1LoserGuy,
Reactions: Kingofknights

Kingofknights

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a new 3ds xl (2 to be exact), I can take out the battery and plug in a charger, ill respond in a sec
Post automatically merged:

I removed the battery, and when I plugged in the charger the orange charge led came on and turned off after a bit (approximately 5 seconds), I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the same thing happened, I put the battery back in and the console turned on like normal. (it turned on the way it did before I took the battery out)
Thank you for this. Looks like there's something wrong with the device beside the battery after all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Killer Instinct for the SNES MSU-1.... sooo good lol