Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

P

pasc

I doubt the wiring is off.

This was done by a professional.

He even sent two dumps on disc back to me.

The problem is just that I can't get it to work.

The XL was simple to mod by comparison.

junn

Trophies
Website
flic.kr
XP
Country
United States
This mod works wonderful on my 3DS XL.

However

My normal 3DS however will only show this in the diskmgmt:
3DS_bad_reader.png

Removable Drive (E:954MB) 954 MB
Write protected Not assigned

and this when trying to read it:

3DS_read_error_%28bad_reader%29.png

Did anyone have this aswell and can tell me what I'm doing wrong ?

well,i had a similar problem, win32diskimager can't read my 3ds on 2 different laptops.
and also mod my 3ds LL, same thing. win32diskimager just cant read both systems.
updated the usb card,sd card reader drivers, shortened the cables,etc,no dice..
so i tried USB Image Tool,
http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/
one temper mentioned the software on a different thread, and it's all good.
here's mine.
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/717/f09o.jpg
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2965/5oz4.jpg

got an error after replacing the micro usb cable that goes to the usb sd card reader.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5527/83r3.jpg
but after i reduced the lenght, the error disappeared.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
well,i had a similar problem, win32diskimager can't read my 3ds on 2 different laptops.
and also mod my 3ds LL, same thing. win32diskimager just cant read both systems.
updated the usb card,sd card reader drivers, shortened the cables,etc,no dice..
so i tried USB Image Tool,
http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/
one temper mentioned the software on a different thread, and it's all good.
here's mine.
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/717/f09o.jpg
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2965/5oz4.jpg

got an error after replacing the micro usb cable that goes to the usb sd card reader.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5527/83r3.jpg
but after i reduced the lenght, the error disappeared.

Where do you get the female micro usb port board for the 3DS? Yours just wants me to clean up my fugly mess of a mod.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello,

I'm a new user but I already did this mod on a friend's blue 4.5.0-10u XL. It worked flawlessly.
2013-10-16 19.07.03-600.jpg2013-10-16 19.05.55-600.jpg2013-10-16 18.57.37-600.jpg

I just bought a blue Kario Kart 7 bundle (4.3.0-10u) and I'll use Jay.T's (post #399) idea and try to attach, either a mini/micro USB or a molex connector, like he did.

The reason I decided to post is something already discussed here: efuses.

I know someone already mentioned that a way to block you from downgrading from your own NAND is less likely to be done, but what if N1ntendo uses the "presumably" existing efuses in the SoC to prevent you to downgrade to a lower sys version after you upgraded from an "original" cartridge or internet sys version 7 (or something later)?

What are you guys take on this? Do you believe this could be feasible from the company perspective?

Cheers!

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hello,

I'm a new user but I already did this mod on a friend's blue 4.5.0-10u XL. It worked flawlessly.
View attachment 4852View attachment 4851View attachment 4850

I just bought a blue Kario Kart 7 bundle (4.3.0-10u) and I'll use Jay.T's (post #399) idea and try to attach, either a mini/micro USB or a molex connector, like he did.

The reason I decided to post is something already discussed here: efuses.

I know someone already mentioned that a way to block you from downgrading from your own NAND is less likely to be done, but what if N1ntendo uses the "presumably" existing efuses in the SoC to prevent you to downgrade to a lower sys version after you upgraded from an "original" cartridge or internet sys version 7 (or something later)?

What are you guys take on this? Do you believe this could be feasible from the company perspective?

Cheers!

I think if there are such efuses, this wouldn't be possible in the first place.
Could be wrong though.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I think if there are such efuses, this wouldn't be possible in the first place.
Could be wrong though. Are efuses software-controlled?

in a nutshell: yes!
Think about bigger consoles, like Xbox 360. Everytime you install a new update, it blows one efuse, that prevent you, along with other techniques, from downgrading. We all know the dash was decrypted and hacked, but you cannot downgrade, even from your own old NAND, if your efuses don't match.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
in a nutshell: yes!
Think about bigger consoles, like Xbox 360. Everytime you install a new update, it blows one efuse, that prevent you, along with other techniques, from downgrading. We all know the dash was decrypted and hacked, but you cannot downgrade, even from your own old NAND, if your efuses don't match.

What?

Also, if there are efuses, why didn't they just use it in the first place already? How many efuses there usually are in a CPU?

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
What?

Also, if there are efuses, why didn't they just use it in the first place already? How many efuses there usually are in a CPU?

Well, I don't know for sure how many efuses there are in xbox 360 or N3DS, so I can't confirm this info to you. Also, efuses are present in almost any SoC or chip nowadays, that's why I brought this into subject again.

Assuming there are really efuses present in N3DS, the reason the big N didn't use are unknown, as the reasons to not block old unencrypted FW from being installed into PSP in the beginning of the CFW old days was :)

Anyway, I'm just discussing something that was pretty much obvious that it would be in place but was not, and could **possibly** be done in a future. :)

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Well, I don't know for sure how many efuses there are in xbox 360 or N3DS, so I can't confirm this info to you. Also, efuses are present in almost any SoC or chip nowadays, that's why I brought this into subject again.

Assuming there are really efuses present in N3DS, the reason the big N didn't use are unknown, as the reasons to not block old unencrypted FW from being installed into PSP in the beginning of the CFW old days was :)

Anyway, I'm just discussing something that was pretty much obvious that it would be in place but was not, and could **possibly** be done in a future. :)

Hmmm... They probably won't use it until downgrading can be done without hardware mod, as I see a lot of people are afraid of opening up their 3DS, let alone soldering :P

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmmm... They probably won't use it until downgrading can be done without hardware mod, as I see a lot of people are afraid of opening up their 3DS, let alone soldering :P

Hehe! Yup! it's kind of scary to open such a tiny thing. :) Of course the XL is easier to do, but a little extra heat from your solder iron could burn a pad or two or you could end up ripping one of the small flat cables.
What about the original 3DS? You need to remove the entire motherboard, that, my friend, for ppl not used to handle these kind of small board, could mean doom!

I'm glad to know that even with 6.3 we're still able to downgrade. Let's hope it continue this way.

Cheers

Guys, I got a:

Code:
00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000400 00000000

but I was able to dump 3 times all equal...

Since this bootloader code was mentioned in page 10 as a "bad" errorcode, what are you guys take on this?

Thanks!

Alright! Turns out that some wire was probably shorting to other one... I changed the conector and tried after the third attempt and now I got this:
Code:
00F800EF
FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000003 00000000

What should I accept as the working one?

PS: I can dump successfully!

PS2:
Interesting! I compared MD5 from the two different errorcodes (00000400 and 00000003) and they are the same...
Now I have 6 NAND dumps (3 from each errorcode) and they all match...

Clues?

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
I've had several different error codes but, like you, have successfully been able to dump (and I've used those same dumps to successfully downgrade, so I know they work.)

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Thx Pelago!
I'm gonna wrap up here then and close everything...
Will try to flash the same dump and cross fingers hoping everything end up well... If I'm ok, I'll update to the latest sys upd via internet, do a backup and downgrade again.

Thx!

ok!
After the 6 dumps, I turned on the console to see it was ok and it was... phew! :)
Extracting a diff dump after gives me a different MD5 than the ones I extracted earlier. Since the day changed, I guess that after I boot the console, something changed in the NAND... that's the only logical thing I can think of.

Am I right?

PS: two dumps now gives me the same MD5, but different MD5 than the old dumps... So I guess I'm still fine :)

Hey guys,

Sorry if I'm being too sticky to this, but I gotta admit: I loved this mod! :)

I just found out something really interesting.

With the very same wiring, I get different errorcodes based on "how" I do the connection to the PC. I'll explain.
I use a 8 inch long shielded USB cable with 4 terminals and a female connection soldered to the console. At the other end of the cable I use a MicroSD to SD adapter. To onnect the SD part to my console I use a cheap-a$$ multi SD read stuff, china made.
N3DS_4.jpg

If I connect everything up (cable to console, cable SD to card reader and the card reader to my PC USB) and then I turn on the 3DS, I get the errorcode 00000003. Also the read speed is 2.5MB/s at most.
If I connect the cable to the console and to the card reader, turn on the console, I get the errorcode 00000400. Then I plug the card reader to my console and the speed is also 2.5Mb/s at most
If I only connect the cable to the console and turn it on, I get the errorcode 00000020. Then I plug the rest up, but this time the speed is much faster. It's 5.3MB/s

All of the NAND dumps are the same (MD5 matches). I tested them all and they all work on my console, but indeed the read/write speed count when you're dumping 3 times to be on the safe side.

Cheers!

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just bought a spare Red XL on 4.4. Read out nand and also installing a 3dscapture card on main Blue XL :) :)

i am adding a female micro usb port on the internally under Select button and wiring up a microusb to SDCARD adaptor (like how capture cards are installed)

[IMG]http://optimize.ath.cx/LL-SPA3/CIMG06981.jpg

Where did you order your female micro usb port, I haven't found anything small enough to fit there.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
hmmm, that is a month or more before I can get it in hand and thats just waiting on shipping from either china or the UK.

The one with the board is gonna probably cause some problems, since I would have to remove the pins to get it flush.

gonna have to mull this over how I want to handle this.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
ok!
After the 6 dumps, I turned on the console to see it was ok and it was... phew! :)
Extracting a diff dump after gives me a different MD5 than the ones I extracted earlier. Since the day changed, I guess that after I boot the console, something changed in the NAND... that's the only logical thing I can think of.

Am I right?
If you boot up the console at all then shut it down and make a new dump (even on the same day) the dumps will be different. Looks like the console writes something to NAND on every successful boot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.