Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

scubamage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't think some people understand what dumping and flashing via hardware means. it's not a 'trick' that nintendo can patch out, we have hardware access. it will work :)

That depends, actually. If there are other devices on the system which have their own firmware that get upgraded as part of the upgrade, restoring NAND back doesn't mean that those devices get downgraded as well. If their firmware has any reliance on new features in the NAND software... well... paperweight time.

Now, does that mean it happens here? Doubtful. AFAIK this is more of an issue with devices like cell phones where you have several different firmwares that are usually bundled as part of a device software update.

n1ghty

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
i don't think some people understand what dumping and flashing via hardware means. it's not a 'trick' that nintendo can patch out, we have hardware access. it will work :)
There could be efuses. But very unlikely, as they would have blown some after the release of the gateway.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, thought I would update here...

I was able to find my usb card reader, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything for me. 3DS will blue screen when plugging the SD card into the card reader (bot not yet the computer) as has been mentioned here. Plugging it into the computer nets me nothing. :(

Error is still:

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000200 00000000

OR

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000400 00000000

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, thought I would update here...

I was able to find my usb card reader, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything for me. 3DS will blue screen when plugging the SD card into the card reader (bot not yet the computer) as has been mentioned here. Plugging it into the computer nets me nothing. :(

Error is still:

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000200 00000000

OR

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000400 00000000

Buy an external sd card reader and solder the wires directly to it, skip the sd card adapter.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
That depends, actually. If there are other devices on the system which have their own firmware that get upgraded as part of the upgrade, restoring NAND back doesn't mean that those devices get downgraded as well. If their firmware has any reliance on new features in the NAND software... well... paperweight time.

Now, does that mean it happens here? Doubtful. AFAIK this is more of an issue with devices like cell phones where you have several different firmwares that are usually bundled as part of a device software update.
There could be efuses. But very unlikely, as they would have blown some after the release of the gateway.

true :) good input! thanks. never had to deal with xbox and the efuses, seems a good idea on their part though...

scubamage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dummy question - efuses are what FPGAs use to "redo their wiring" on the fly, correct? I haven't heard the term until I started looking into 3DS's, lol.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update!

I now have the following error and I think it is the "correct" one.

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000002 00000000

Sitting here waiting for the USB storage device to install in windows... why on earth it's taking upwards of two minutes is beyond me...

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok folks. I took the recommended route of using the card reader and soldering directly to that. Here is an image below.

The solder points (form left to right) are as follows:

Data 0
Ground
CLK
CMD

I am now getting YET ANOTHER error:

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000400 00000000

From what I read here, there is a member that was able to get a dump/flash with that error, however my pc still isn't seeing the card or prompting a reformat, nor are there any drives viewable in win 32 disk manager.

Feel so defeated. :nayps3:

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
People keep asking for a full picture of all your solder work... You keep posting pictures of small parts of it, and it all seems very inconsistent.
Can you post a picture that shows all the solder work and all the wires in a clear manner so that we can see where it might be wrong?

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason for the inconsistency is because I keep trying to change things up. I will take pics of how I have everything CURRENTLY and post here. I will plan to not change anything until I hear back from someone. :)

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In case it's not self explanatory, I added the plug for a quick release.

This is my most recent tweak. Did this upon recommendation of another member of the boards. Also a good way to make sure I am not soldering poorly since they are pretty large and obvious points.

Please let me know if the pics can use and clarification.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So maybe part of the problem is that I am not understanding this picture quite right. It would help if it could be explained to me which pins (speaking the ones that we solder to not the actual contact pads on the card) correspond to what).

The left side of the pic shows four wires soldered to pins. The way I understand it, from left to right, the pines go CMD - CLK - GND - DATA 0

Is this correct???

EDIT: I have labeled the picture to show what I THINK I am supposed to be wiring.Confirmation would be appreciated.

EDIT2: Well, based on a youtube video I watched, my wiring understanding was correct. Im certainly at a loss...

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
Yup correct pinout above :) its very picky sometimes i have done the mod many times and in the end used ultra thin wire (used to wire up my SNES REPRO Eproms) wires directly to a microsd usb card reader. I only used once for a backup of 4.4fw.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, ended up rewiring with IDE cable (exactly like in many of the pics). Still same as before. Getting there error (below) but computer isn't recognizing a thing.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what guage wires do you use for this? I decided to solder the ide directly to a card reader. Get the "correct" error, but the computer still doesn't recognize a thing...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
just wanted to check with people who have already done the nand flashing setup....is the gateway nand dump perfectly fine for a restore in case of someone messing with the DS and updating..(stern warning already served but you know what people are like sometimes XD)....i know i could do the wiring for nand dump/restore easy enough but would prefer not too unless really needed for a restore, just wanna make sure that what gateway outputs has actually been tested with a restore and works fine :D thanks in advance

Reactions: tyons

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +1