nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

soniccomcisbr

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Tested on DSi with TWiLight v12.2.1

Mario 64 DS - US Version - TID:ASME - Touchscreen not working
Heapshrink ON/FF

Mario 64 DS - US Version Rev.1 - TID:ASME - works
Mario 64 DS - EU Version - TID:ASMP - works

Giana Sisters DS - US Version - TID:BZIE - works
Giana Sisters DS - EU Version - TID:CYYP - DSi freezes on Black/White Screen
Heapshrink ON/OFF

Thank you.:)

Thanks.
At first dont worked here, but I notice that I can not use trimmed roms of these games

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Question. If I was to run a game cart, Phantasy Star 0. Can I use this to load action replay codes for the game? And how would I go about getting the usr.cheat file set up?

Hello.:)

To get you right,you want to use a physical Game and want to use the Cheats from inside TWiLight ?
If yes,I am sorry,there is unfortunately no Way.You can only use the usrcheat.dat file with an Flashcard or from inside TWiLight Menu.:)

If you meant it other Way,I would excuse me for giveing you not the fitting Answer.

Thank you.:)

Reactions: RocketRobz

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How Would I change the theme to have my game recognize my cheats and to enable disable them?

Would anyone know why my 3ds wont recognize any cheat files found within the usrcheats.dat file? Under the akcard theme not one game will open the cheat file.

Last edited by lone_wolf323,

stijnbouwmeester

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey, whenever I play games that use my time they glitch sometimes. It becomes midnight or something for a split second, and it's especially annoying in animal crossing where it plays a cutscene or a tune everytime it glitches. I sthere any way to fix this?
Also diddy kong racing ds looks really weird. Every player model just dissapears or it gets stretched out over the entire screen. But it works great in my emulator. Does anyone know what to do?

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How Would I change the theme to have my game recognize my cheats and to enable disable them?

Would anyone know why my 3ds wont recognize any cheat files found within the usrcheats.dat file? Under the akcard theme not one game will open the cheat file.
Cheats are showing up fine for me under akmenu. Do they show up under the other menu themes but not akmenu? If they're absent in all the themes, it may be that you don't have the cheats file in the right place; I downloaded mine with the TwilightMenu auto updater, so you could try doing that (or re-downloading if you've done it already). If it's just a problem in the akmenu theme, then I don't know what the problem is.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cheats are showing up fine for me under akmenu. Do they show up under the other menu themes but not akmenu? If they're absent in all the themes, it may be that you don't have the cheats file in the right place; I downloaded mine with the TwilightMenu auto updater, so you could try doing that (or re-downloading if you've done it already). If it's just a problem in the akmenu theme, then I don't know what the problem is.
I was able to find where they were to go. Its just they dont seem to want to work for some reason.

* Do I use the raw codes I have found for the title as I did using the ARdsi trainer or do i need to convert all found codes before I can use them?

Last edited by lone_wolf323,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, whenever I play games that use my time they glitch sometimes. It becomes midnight or something for a split second, and it's especially annoying in animal crossing where it plays a cutscene or a tune everytime it glitches. I sthere any way to fix this?
Also diddy kong racing ds looks really weird. Every player model just dissapears or it gets stretched out over the entire screen. But it works great in my emulator. Does anyone know what to do?
1. It's unknown how to fix the time issue.
2. Diddy Kong Racing will be fixed in the next version.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When running TwlSaveTool, it creates Phantasy Star 0 with a 64kb save, and on Twilightmenu++ with the same dumped nds file it creates a 512kb save file which TwlSaveTool decides to reject. Is there a way to change twilightmenus save to work to inject onto my gamecart?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When running TwlSaveTool, it creates Phantasy Star 0 with a 64kb save, and on Twilightmenu++ with the same dumped nds file it creates a 512kb save file which TwlSaveTool decides to reject. Is there a way to change twilightmenus save to work to inject onto my gamecart?
Use HxD to trim the save file, starting at 0x10000.

Reactions: lone_wolf323

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh I’m new (well I’ve come back) to the 3DS scene so I’m not sure how all that’s progressing?
New GBARunner2 builds have sound emulated using the DSP chip, so there are no more synchronous issues.
The only bug remaining, is that there's glitched sound playing in the GBARunner2 pause menu.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New GBARunner2 builds have sound emulated using the DSP chip, so there are no more synchronous issues.
The only bug remaining, is that there's glitched sound playing in the GBARunner2 pause menu.
Oh okay awesome, so it shouldn’t be too far off then I suppose. Thanks for all the cool shot you’ve done since I’ve been away from the scene I’ll be using them all for sure haha.

LiDavis386

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I tried running nds-bootstrap with some games and don't work. The games are: Shin-Chan Aventuras de Cine, Shin-Chan Flipa en Colores, WarioWare DIY (it doesn't save games) and Contra 4 (doesn't even start).

Could you fix this problem on the next update?

PS: I managed to make Contra 4 working, no worries

Last edited by LiDavis386,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried running nds-bootstrap with some games and don't work. The games are: Shin-Chan Aventuras de Cine, Shin-Chan Flipa en Colores, WarioWare DIY (it doesn't save games) and Contra 4 (doesn't even start).

Could you fix this problem on the next update?
Contra 4 works for me. The next version should fix it for you.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.32.0

What's new? (DSi/3DS)
  • Added back the option to load 12MB (DSi) or 28MB (3DS) ROMs into RAM.
    While the feature to load 8MB (DSi) or 24MB (3DS) ROMs into RAM was included for a while, this option increases the ROM space in RAM.
    Setting in .ini file: `EXTENDED_MEMORY`
    NOTE: Setting it to `2` will expand the space 512KB more (not tested thoroughly), but will break Download Play functionality, even for games that don't use cloneboot.
  • Language is now read from TWLCFG!
  • The card engine arm9 code is now loaded in the first 16KB of RAM, for games that leave it unused.
    For early SDK2 games, it's loaded somewhere after the arm7 binary in RAM.
    This improves load times in Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and a few others, without the need for heap shrink.
Bug fixes
  • Game compatibility has increased! More games now boot, such as:
    • Marvel Trading Card Game
    • Minna no Mahjong DS (does not work in B4DS)
    • Nacho Libre
    • Giana Sisters (EUR)
    • Lola & Virginia
    • and more!
    (Thanks to @retrogamefan for the feedback!)
  • DSi/3DS: Models are no longer corrupted in Diddy Kong Racing!
  • DSi/3DS: If you're running nds-bootstrap in DSiWarehax, it'll now reboot, after creating the FAT table.
    This works around a crash, when launching a game for the first time.
    `CACHE_FAT_TABLE` needs to be set to `1` for the game to boot.
Regression (DSi/3DS)
  • DMA reads have reverted back to CPU-based reads, due to an unexpected bug.
    This causes lags in some games.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Munandar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I read in the compatability list that Nanashi no Game need to apply black screen cheat to work but the English patched version show no cheat found.. The unpatched show the cheat list

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/5zE3H65IDtM?si=cIVsTaWar9HofeR7 +1