Homebrew [NDS] Forwarder CIAs for your HOME Menu

seb5049

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there anybody here who's got the original R4 working? I just get a white screen with every game. I'll try OP's Mario Kart cia and see if that works.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Ok got it to create cias on it's own (and DSi Extended header is valid now) and tested again with my original R4.

But it still white screens. I did check and saw that it wrote the ini file. Either there's a problem with the version of YSMenu you are providing or it's failing to launch YSMenu for some reason.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok got it to create cias on it's own (and DSi Extended header is valid now) and tested again with my original R4.

But it still white screens. I did check and saw that it wrote the ini file. Either there's a problem with the version of YSMenu you are providing or it's failing to launch YSMenu for some reason.
So how does nds file loading on hbmenu work for the original R4?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
It does last time I tried. Even got it to work in DSi Enhanced mode. (not retail roms of coarse since it's just hbmenu)

EDIT: Lol I didn't see the "how" in your sentence when I read it the first time. :P

hbmenu reads it much the same way as any other homebrew. Via DLDI. hbmenu is probably loaded in memory much the same way as DS Download Play titles. In either case it's able to read R4's storage and launch things from it as if hbmenu was booted from the R4. Not something that you can do with the newer carts though. Seems to be a trait unique to R4 and perhaps other pre-sdhc cards like N-Card/DS-Xtreme/etc. Though the R4 is the only card I confirmed to work this way.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does last time I tried. Even got it to work in DSi Enhanced mode. (not retail roms of coarse since it's just hbmenu)

EDIT: Lol I didn't see the "how" in your sentance when I read it the first time. :P
Looking at my code, there's:
Code said:
int err = runNdsFile ("fat:/YSMenu.nds",0,0);
iprintf ("Failed to start YSMenu.nds", err);
It does look right.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well the fowarder CIA is able to access the R4. It created a YSMenu.ini file with the correct game patch that I had set it up to use. (the ini file didn't exist before, so I know I wasn't the one that put the file there).

So it's able to access the R4. I think something goes wrong when it either attempts to launch YSMenu or something goes wrong with YSMenu itself.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I was able to launch YSMenu.nds from root via WoodR4 so there isn't a problem with YSMenu itself. (though YSMenu did not autoboot anything, it just went to the menu....)

So the issue is that your fowarder is failing to start YSMenu for some reason.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

EDIT: I was able to launch YSMenu via the custom version of hbmenu I have installed as DSiWare. It's the version I made that boots in DSi Enhanced mode. YSMenu starts up fine. Of coarse it hangs when trying to load a game because it doesn't work right in DSi Enhanced mode in it's current form. But it does launch and the menu works. So if it was in NTR mode I believe it would have worked fine. So I think the fowarder just need some fixes to work for R4 properly.

EDIT2: YSmenu.nds is expecting YSMenu.ini in the YSMenu folder. It didn't auto boot my game (when launched from WoodR4 anyways) until I copied the ini file there.

Fowarder CIA still fails to boot YSMenu though. It does seem to start partly. White screens but then bottom screen goes black. Nothing happens after that.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How'd you do it?!
Using a hex-editor, I copied the block of 0x840-0x23BF from the untranslated banner, and pasted it to the end of the translated banner.
I then replaced the japanese text at 0x840 and 0x940 (both length of 0x100) with the english one.
Finally, I fixed the second, third, and fourth CRC16's in order for the banner to show up in the HOME Menu.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I made some DSi Enhanced (pokemon Black, White,Black2,White2 etc) shortcuts and they just crash. I have made others and those work fine but the DSi Enhanced don't. Can you help?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I made some DSi Enhanced (pokemon Black, White,Black2,White2 etc) shortcuts and they just crash. I have made others and those work fine but the DSi Enhanced don't. Can you help?
Did you try one of the TID's from the TID list in the OP? If a TID is marked red, it means that it will not work.

Helix Fossil

DQ Fan Translator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... the website I ordered my R4i-SDHC card from can't find the package. They say they're going to send out a new one. But in the meantime, would someone be kind enough to link me a card that's been proven to work flawlessly with this method? Any website besides new3dscard.com, preferably.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yep most here in Ohio say pop. Oh oh yea I mean North Korea