RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, thank you for providing this tool! I set up a bunch of forwarders succesfully on my new 3ds XL, but I was wondering about the BOOST_CPU (and BOOST_VRAM) settings in nds-bootstrap.ini (located in SD card root/_nds/).

When using the forwarders to start games and then checking the in-game nds-bootstrap menu, I noticed all DSi enhanced games default to 133 MHz clock speed and the VRAM setting shows 'DS mode'. All DS games default to 67 MHz and 'DS mode'.
I tried to change the default clock speed to 133 MHz for all titles by setting BOOST_CPU = 1 in nds-bootstrap.ini, as suggested by your guide, but this does not seem to work. After saving this setting and starting a DS game through a forwarder, the in-game menu shows 67 MHz again. After closing the game and checking out nds-bootstrap.ini again, it seems it set itself back to BOOST_CPU = 0. Similarly, setting BOOST_VRAM = 1 and opening any DS/DSi game via the home menu still shows it set to 'DS mode' in the in-game menu, and afterwards nds-bootstrap.ini shows BOOST_VRAM = 0 again.
I'm unsure how much BOOST_VRAM actually affects things, but I do want to set 133 MHz as the default clock speed for all DS games.
The only way for forwarded DS games to use 133 MHz seems to be to hold Y when starting them and setting it manually per game, creating ini files in _nds/ntr-forwarder/gamesettings. I tried using TWiLight Menu++ to adjust per game settings, which is pretty fast, but it seems that starting games from the home menu does not use the TWiLight Menu++ per-game settings.

In short, is it intended that BOOST_CPU = 1 reverts back to BOOST_CPU = 0 in nds-bootstrap.ini after starting any forwarded game? Is there a way to change the default global settings for forwarded games? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I fully reinstalled the latest releases before doing any of this.
NTR clock speed (67MHz) is the default because TWL clock speed (133MHz) causes issues in some games.
Because of this, some games known to have issues with TWL clock speed are blacklisted from using it.

Reactions: Pretendeavor_

Bynkeb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, because it's not a CIA file.
You can install nds-bootstrap (as well as the forwarder pack) using Universal-Updater, and then launch your forwarder.
I've got 3 more things to say. In Universal-DB, im given the option to download nds bootstrap or nightly nds bootstrap. Does it matter which one i pick?
Is the forwarder pack found in Universal-DB but in a different place? (nvm i found it)
And major respect to you for sticking around the 3ds it's CFW scene!:yay3ds:

Reactions: RocketRobz

Bynkeb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi again... When i open one of the nds games that i now have on my home screen it says "not found" and that i need to recreate the forwarder with the correct rom path. How can i do this because my backplate is stuck meaning i cant get to my sd card. (Same reason why i asked if i could get the forwarder via a wireless method.) Because of this i cant insert my sd card into my pc meaning that wireless methods and godmode9 are all i have.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi again... When i open one of the nds games that i now have on my home screen it says "not found" and that i need to recreate the forwarder with the correct rom path. How can i do this because my backplate is stuck meaning i cant get to my sd card. (Same reason why i asked if i could get the forwarder via a wireless method.) Because of this i cant insert my sd card into my pc meaning that wireless methods and godmode9 are all i have.
Try using TWiLight Menu++ then.

DomoGG

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi!
It seems like this thing now supports widescreen but I couldn't find any info about how.
Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Hi!
It seems like this thing now supports widescreen but I couldn't find any info about how.
Is there a tutorial somewhere?
It's basically the same as TWiLight Menu++ widescreen, but you're able to put the CXI at sdmc:/_nds/ntr-forwarder/Widescreen.cxi (TWiLight's location also works) and you need to hold Y while loading the forwarder and set the aspect ratio to 16:10.

Reactions: sley

DomoGG

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's basically the same as, but you're able to put the CXI at sdmc:/_nds/ntr-forwarder/Widescreen.cxi (TWiLight's location also works) and you need to hold Y while loading the forwarder and set the aspect ratio to 16:10.
Thanks a lot for the great work!
It worked perfectly just two notes that the tutorial didn't mentiont (I don't know if it applies for TWiLightMenu users though).
First that you must have activated "Eneable loading external FIRMs and modules" on Luma and second that you also need to erase "TwlBg.cxi" from the folder it was origanilly generated once you copy it and change the name so it works properly.

One last thing, I suppose is not needed to keep the TWPatch.cia installed, right? I already have reached the 300 games limit lol (it would be amazing if somebody tries to bypass that restriction and shares it with the community by the way).

Reactions: Pk11

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for the great work!
It worked perfectly just two notes that the tutorial didn't mentiont (I don't know if it applies for TWiLightMenu users though).
First that you must have activated "Eneable loading external FIRMs and modules" on Luma and second that you also need to erase "TwlBg.cxi" from the folder it was origanilly generated once you copy it and change the name so it works properly.

One last thing, I suppose is not needed to keep the TWPatch.cia installed, right? I already have reached the 300 games limit lol (it would be amazing if somebody tries to bypass that restriction and shares it with the community by the way).
Yeah, you can uninstall TWPatch after making the CXI.

If you haven't heard there's 3DSBank to work around the limit, but it's more of a workaround than a solution.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Hello! This tool is absolutely amazing! However I was wondering if there is anyway to use a save file from a DS game with its corresponding forwarded DS game?
from a game card or ROM on the SD?

From a ROM on the SD you simply need to use that ROM as the input for the forwarder and it'll work, make sure you're on the latest versions of this and TWiLight Menu++ if it doesn't. If you're using a flashcard you'll need to copy the file to the console's SD if that's where the forwarded ROM is.

From a game card you'll need to dump and inject the save, it is very possible though. On DSi you can use GodMode9i and on 3DS you can use either Checkpoint or GodMode9. Just make sure to rename and move the save file to the name of the ROM but .sav in a saves folder in the same folder as the ROM after dumping.

Last edited by Pk11,

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Will there ever be a custom banner for New Super Mario Bros. DS and the romhack Newer Super Mario Bros. DS?

Thanks!
Half-Stories
For custom banners you'll want to use YANBF, the forwarder method from this thread installs as DSiWare so custom banners aren't possible.

I don't think a custom NSMB banner exists yet, but there's instructions for how to make them in the OP of YANBF's thread. Asking if someone wants to could make one in that thread would probably also be more likely to get a response than here as that's the proper thread for it.

Edit: It looks like @Yrouel has made a new custom banner request thread and already made the ones you were asking about, so just go look over there.

Reactions: Yrouel

Raize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone happen to know how to remove the "DSi binaries are missing, please obtain a clean ROM, press A to play in DS mode" prompt when starting a game? Besides the obvious of obtaining a clean ROM, of course. The translation patch for Fire Emblem 12 was built around a version of the game without binaries and can't be readily replaced. I tried going into the settings and set "Run in: DS Mode" but the prompt still pops up. Not really a big deal since it's still playable but just wanted to see if I was missing anything. Thanks for any help.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone happen to know how to remove the "DSi binaries are missing, please obtain a clean ROM, press A to play in DS mode" prompt when starting a game? Besides the obvious of obtaining a clean ROM, of course. The translation patch for Fire Emblem 12 was built around a version of the game without binaries and can't be readily replaced. I tried going into the settings and set "Run in: DS Mode" but the prompt still pops up. Not really a big deal since it's still playable but just wanted to see if I was missing anything. Thanks for any help.
This is an issue to be fixed on our side.
Also, you can fix your ROM using a patch from this site: https://github.com/R-YaTian/DSiEnhanced_Translation_Revision/tree/main/FE12

Raize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the fix! But after multiple attempts to use the patches with multiple different translated FE12 roms (ver. 3.01 and 3.01 Beta 2) and getting nothing but checksum mismatches, I'm going to admit defeat and live with my mildly irritating error message.
Have you tried a clean untranslated ROM?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol +2