Homebrew Neek Emunand on SD vs USB? and Tutorial ?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see you mention IOS36, IOS53 for certain N64 too. So it looks like I'm going to have to install those on some empty slots and get testing?

Are there any other known ones I should look out for?
I would recommend you to run ShowMiiWad, and put the N64 wad in it.
It should tell you which IOS base it's requesting when run officially from the system menu.

If not (I'm writing this from memory, I don't remember which options SMW displays), there should be WAD editors giving you the IOS Slot number it's expecting to run with. (hexeditor is also a method, if you know the offset)
if it's IOS36, it expect that IOS, so you can try to install cIOS11[based on IOS 36] somewhere between slot 230 and 253.
Slot below 230 are reserved for Hermes' IOS
Slot 254 is bootmii IOS

Last edited by Cyan,

clandestine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason that application won't run correctly on my PC. But I did download CustomizeMii. I've looked at a couple of wads and the it is showing me the IOS. But I am a little confused. 1080 snowboarding is showing up as having a startup IOS of 21. First of all, 1080 snowboarding works perfectly on emunand with slot249base57 selected. Why am I able to launch it but the wad editor shows it as requiring 21?

Second, is there any software that lets me select a patched IOS21 base onto a stubbed slot? (EWES shows the same info.)

Other games are showing IOS bases out of ranges of ones that I've seen that typically get patched. Mario Kart 64 shows a startup IOS of 9, for example.

clandestine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still waiting on a reply. Am I misunderstanding what you mean? Both those games launch fine Emunand with stock d2x Cios despite was editors requiring startup ioses of 21 and 9 respectively.

I'm not sure how to use the information provided to be the wad editor unfortunately.
Post automatically merged:

Furthermore. It appears That changing the IOS a game loads with in USB loader GX has absolutely no impact on its ability to load or not load. Am I missing a setting here?

Things don't seem to be working as intended.

Game load > game iOS > I'll toggle it between the various IOS I have configured (I have them configured as wiiguides.hacks specifies currently on 249b56, 250b57, and 251b38). But regardless of what iOS I set they either work currently or they don't. So it doesn't appear that this setting is actually doing anything.

Last edited by clandestine,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like I explained on my post18 on previous page, the games were designed to use a specific IOS to prevent problem when releasing new games needing updated and different functions.
But, something I didn't say, is that they CAN work on newer IOS too.
It just depends which functions they are using and whether they are existing on the IOS you are currently using or if it's missing, or if it's different from the one it was expecting to use.

For example, Zelda Twilight princess is asking for IOS9 (because no other IOS existed when the console was released, and it's one of the first game of the console).
It's using some function inside IOS9 which are most likely "common functions" still included and identical to functions located in IOS 56 or IOS 57.
Thus, using a custom IOS (cIOS) for that game in USBGX based on IOS56 (cIOS11[56]) or IOS57 (cIOS11[57]) pose no problem to play this game.
The game asks for a function, it finds it in the IOS currently loaded in memory -> the game boots and works fine.

for N64 games now, if they ask for IOS21, it doesn't mean you HAVE to install a cIOS based on IOS21.
if the N64 game needs a function in IOS21 which is ALSO present in another IOS, then you can use it too ! for example, IOS38, or IOS56, or IOS58 etc.
You just don't know which function inside the IOS the game requests :( (unless you have a debugger and log all IOS activity on your console, which only devs can do)

When I suggested to look at the official used IOS, it was only for non working game, and to have an idea of which IOS it was using.
If it's IOS36, and the cIOS installer lets you install a base36, you "can" try.
It doesn't mean it will work for sure. it's just a way to match the best way possible how the game was meant to be launched officially by the console from the System Menu.

If you don't have that base choice in the cIOS installer, you can try another base.
For example, N64 game requests IOS21 ... cIOS installer doesn't have it. You can try to play the game with a base38 and see if it works.
If the game can find the needed function it expect from IOS21 in the currently loaded IOS based on IOS38, it most likely will be happy.
If the N64 game requests a specific function ONLY present in IOS21... then you are out of luck I guess, and Sneek is currently the only way to use that IOS.

If you look at the Wiki compatibility list, MarioKart64 is marked as working with cIOSv8/10. But there's no mention to which base it was tested with.
v8/10 are usually installed by Wii hacking guides with base56 and 57. So, there are chances it doesn't require base9, and works fine with a cIOS based on 56 or 57 (same as Disc wii games, like Twilight princess, requesting IOS9 but working fine with 56 and 57)

Order of tests :
Try the game with base 56/57/58 (if it's a common game and doesn't requires USB accessories, it might be enough)
if it doesn't work, try the game with other base you already have installed (36/38/53/whatever)
if it doesn't work, look at which IOS base it's officially requesting, and see if you already tested it (the game could still not work with the correct base it's expecting).
You can try to install that base if your cIOS installer has that base option.
if still not working, you will have to use Neek, And you could report to Blackb0x and see if he is willing to look at the issue and why it's not working with any IOS you tried, and if he can fix it. It can takes time to find a fix, in the meantime, use neek.

Furthermore. It appears That changing the IOS a game loads with in USB loader GX has absolutely no impact on its ability to load or not load. Am I missing a setting here?

Things don't seem to be working as intended.

Game load > game iOS > I'll toggle it between the various IOS I have configured (I have them configured as wiiguides.hacks specifies currently on 249b56, 250b57, and 251b38). But regardless of what iOS I set they either work currently or they don't. So it doesn't appear that this setting is actually doing anything.

This only means it's working as intended.
If it works with all the slot you tried, it means the game does work with any of them.
If it doesn't work, even if you tried to change the slot, it means the game does not work with any of the IOS slot you tried.
It doesn't mean it can't be fixed, or that the option does nothing. only that the changes you did made no different for that game.

Instead of changing the IOS globally, I suggest changing it only for problematic games.

Global :
USBGX main interface > settings > Loader's Settings > Game's IOS : keep the slot where you have base56 (usually slot 249)

Problematic games :
USBGX main interface > select the game > option > Game option > IOS : This is where you choose to either use "global settings" (the default behavior), or a specific slot used only by this game.
while you are here, if no IOS slot is working, just set the EmuNAND mode to neek only for this game.

Last edited by Cyan,

clandestine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it. Thank you. Appreciate the explanation. Based on the emunand compatibility it looks like the majority of N64 games were working at one point or another with cIOS (with an unknown base) at one point or another. So theoretically I should be able to get most of them working with cIOS - if that list is to be trusted anyway.

I wish I could get neek working with USBGX but I do not know what I'm doing wrong.

clandestine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody have any possible clue on what step I may be overlooking? It's probably something simple as hell. But no matter how many times I do the process, I end up on the black screen.

EDIT: Well holy shit I finally did it. I just booted into neek2o for the first time. neek doesn't like my hard drive apparently despite it being MBR, correct cluster size, etc. Generated plain sneek files on my SD card and it's good as gravy.

If anybody in the future finds this thread and you're hanging at a black screen, TRY USING YOUR SD CARD INSTEAD (set the path in usb loader gx to SD:/nands/01, generate sneek instead uneek) and maybe it'll work for you too.

What is it about certain HDDs that neek2o does not like?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated