Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A used N64 should run you about $20 for one with one controller, cables, and power supply.

I'm not too hyped over SD support. For me one or two games at a time with instant loading is fine for now. SNES on the other hand really seems to need it. I get attached to an N64 game longer than a SNES game. But then again, 1024M would have been fine for that too. Kinda makes me wish the sample for review came with it so I could see how well it'd work out with the sample of ROMs. I was constantly running out of space on the SNES one. N64 one hmm well I'm used to loading up games slowly and one at a time on the Doctor V64 anyway.

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SkankyYankee said:
200 is really pricey for me, id consider it if it was around 100 or 120 but its more worth it to me to track down the few n64 carts I don't have but still want at stores.

Same here. There's only a few n64 games that's not in my collection that I really want. And I could get all of those for way under $200. With basically no features, I gotta say this looks like a rip off. They should have at least waited to release the cart until they added SD support, and also add real time save to it. That would maybe make it easier for some people to swallow that over-priced tag...

Great review though. Very informative.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Dang, quite impressive. Seems to work better than the SNES counterpart, as well.

The steep price alarmed me, but that's just probably because I'm used to the meager $15 price tag of the DS flash carts.

But judging by the build quality and game support, it ought to be worth it, I suppose.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
iamthemilkman said:
Damn, these things are like $200?
ohmy.gif

It's astonishing.

$200 will go a long way toward a nice computer that will run an emulator, and there are at least two original controller adapters I know of (although they neither support rumble, which is a pity).

Or better yet that $200 will go all the way and then some toward a used console, an extra controller, and used carts of all the games worth having for N64.

N64 isn't GBA or DS. Although it arguably has 3 or 4 of the top ten games of all time, the list of must-haves can't be longer than 15 at most. The GBATemp "Recommended" list is only seven games long!

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
regnad said:
iamthemilkman said:
ohmy.gif

It's astonishing.

$200 will go a long way toward a nice computer that will run an emulator, and there are at least two original controller adapters I know of (although they neither support rumble, which is a pity).

Or better yet that $200 will go all the way and then some toward a used console, an extra controller, and used carts of all the games worth having for N64.

N64 isn't GBA or DS. Although it arguably has 3 or 4 of the top ten games of all time, the list of must-haves can't be longer than 15 at most. The GBATemp "Recommended" list is only seven games long!

I prefer the real console because emulators only play a percentage of the ROMs. Even a 256M backup unit plays more games than an emulator will. The emulator programmers need to work out a bunch of compatibility issues still.

Also guys the Neoflash menu is going to be worked on but it looks like after they finish working on the SNES and MD menus. So that means we'll see SD support on SNES first and then they'll work on this one later. You'll be waiting quite a while on it for this one I am figuring.

I have heard on various forums that having a flash cart for N64 is a must, even if you have a lot of cartridges. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it is though. I just wouldn't want all the extra clutter. I guess a box full of games isn't very big though. My SNES games aren't taking up a whole lot of room.

modrobert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Regarding some posts wishing for SD card I just want to comment that it is too slow, you a need flash circuit with faster access time. The only way to use SD card for N64 would be to have an internal RAM buffer (or fast flash like now) big enough to hold the size of a N64 cart (512MBit), where the game/ROM was copied from SD card to internal buffer when selected. This is basically how SuperCard SD for GBA works around the problem, it has an internal RAM circuit.

modrobert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
sampson said:
If I am not mistakened Bung made the v64 jr also known as the e64 which was a 512mbit flash cartridge much like the N64 Myth Cart but also had built in hacks for CIC chips and you only needed cartridges for saving. This is not the first n64 flash cartridge!

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/v-64jr.htm

Yes, though V64jr is RAM based (not flash), with optional 6xAA battery backup for the RAM.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
regnad said:
iamthemilkman said:
ohmy.gif

It's astonishing.

Besides my hate for Neo, and the fact that I have reason to believe that the SD support promises will never be kept, and that the cart is over priced and having to use a GBA cart in it is simply retarded, I have to agree that the N64 is not a GBA or DS.
I have a N64 still hooked up with my Tv, and a box with about 25 games , all the best I could think of, included those troublesome that emulators seem to be unable to play ( SW Rouge Squadron and Indiana Jones and the infernal machine ).
Plus I have a PC usb adapter for a N64 controller that works really great with Pj64 1.7, so great that I actually prefer to lay most games on my PC in higher resolution and wide screen ( unfortunately on my HDTV the real thing looks awful when the best I can do is use an s-video cable ) .
So $200 to play games that I already own, in a clumsy way, it's simply not worth it.
I have all of the greatest games already, and I can check out the rest on my trusty Pj64, therefore it's an investment I would never consider.
And don't forget you can find used games online in perfect condition for less the $5 in most cases.
How many games could I buy with $200 ? More then I would actually be willing to play !

florian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hello
smile.gif
I have buy a Neo N64 Myth Cart 64 , but i not understand ? How to make or create a save for the game N64 rom with the tool Neo 2 ultra menu ? i have two option ,( backup save and download save ) ??? what you use for option for save the game and upload the save ?

explain me thanks in adance
smile.gif

sincerely

flo
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Why is it all in lower-case?