New 3ds or New 3ds xl?

FedeHoppe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi guys. I'm new here.

I'm going to buy a 3ds but i dont know which one to pick.
I have read plenty of reddits about the pixel density and some people says that it's really noticeable on the xl version. Some people says that the new 3ds is the perfect size in every aspect.
Some prefer the xl version and says that the can't notice any difference.

What do you recommend me to do?

I'm between the new 3ds xl galaxy edition with box (175 usd)
1648289401730.png
1648289527061.png
1648289593655.png
1648289670912.png

OR

New 3ds white one without box (150usd)
1648289902311.png
1648289953137.png

1648289977848.png
1648289988698.png

Thank you in advise

Darkshadow1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Personally I would recommand the Galaxy New 3DS, I own it and love it a lot more, the size is perfect for me and to be honest, I really love the Galaxy cover of the New 3DS. As for the pixel density that is more a hit or miss as some people won't notice the difference while others do. I guess for me it is not a problem as I owned XL models from DSI. In the end think on what you want, the performance is the same on both models and the main difference is the size.

dehydrated_lemur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own neither, but I do have a New 2DS XL. I don't care very much for the 3D aspect of the console. I do love the large screen and I am very happy with it.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
It depends on what you want out of your handheld.

My first 3DS was a New 3DS XL. I had it for over two years, and unfortunately, it stopped working at some point. I decided to get a new one and went with the non-XL version this time.

The reason for this decision was portability. I loved the New 3DS XL, and it was the ultimate handheld gaming console. The clamshell design is the perfect fit for what it is. Be on a train, pull that little device out of your pocket, unfold it, have a nice 20 minutes gaming session on it, fold it together and put it back in our pocket.
The minor disadvantage with the XL version was the size. I had to put on a jacket with bigger pockets to wear the device around. That problem was dissolved by the regular version. The size is perfect, I can wear it in the pocket of my jeans.
Also the screen is sharper because of the pixel density, it's very much noticeable. Everyone who can't see the difference must have some issues with their eyes.

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never had a n3ds but I do have a n3ds xl/ ll and I've loved it. Mine is dual ips though I think if we're comparing sharpness of screens getting an ips vs tn can impact visual enjoyment. Tn's are hard to see from angles. Love the thickness. But if you want to swap faceplates then probably n3ds. Or decal it up put on a plastic cover and it'll stay on forever lol

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I went from old 3ds to old xl, the pixel density is really noticeable and annoying. then I went to new 3ds and I was actually more bothered by the smaller size after getting used to xl. so now I'm on new xl and happy.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi guys. I'm new here.

I'm going to buy a 3ds but i dont know which one to pick.
I have read plenty of reddits about the pixel density and some people says that it's really noticeable on the xl version. Some people says that the new 3ds is the perfect size in every aspect.
Some prefer the xl version and says that the can't notice any difference.

What do you recommend me to do?

I'm between the new 3ds xl galaxy edition with box (175 usd)
View attachment 303393View attachment 303394View attachment 303396View attachment 303397

OR

New 3ds white one without box (150usd)
View attachment 303398View attachment 303399
View attachment 303400View attachment 303401

Thank you in advise
Some people have bad eyesight :P
I own both an old 3DS XL and a new 3DS (small). The screens on the new 3DS do look better due to the smaller size. But it's quite noticeably smaller, and the graphics don't look that much crisper on the small model, so I'm not sure if it's worth the tradeoff. Worth noting that the small n3DS is also quite uncomfortable to hold. Neither of them are great, but the small model makes my hands cramp up much quicker than the XL.
I'd say don't worry about the pixel density. The difference is noticeable, but not nearly as noticeable as the difference in size. If you want larger screens, get the XL and you'll be happy with your purchase.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I prefer new 3ds, is smaller than XL but is bigger than 3ds a little, the new 3ds has official covers, you can change them easily, the xl and new 2ds do not
45WkJSk.jpeg
Are these yours? I want the Boo one, but it's so overpriced and impossible to find new. Guess nobody bought it.

Cover plates were a neat idea but they held back on releasing cool designs. Nothing nearly as cool as any of the limited edition XL models was ever released, and of course when they did release limited edition cover plates, you had to buy a whole new n3DS console to get them because they weren't sold separately. That completely ruins the point of having cover plates to begin with.
I get that limited editions are a way to sell multiple consoles to the same people. But it's so greedy and shitty and anti-consumer to pretend that cover plates don't exist so you can sell more consoles.

Reactions: Doux91

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
71rHSpJ2qrL._SL1275_.jpg

That is a nice collection
Are these yours? I want the Boo one, but it's so overpriced and impossible to find new. Guess nobody bought it.

Cover plates were a neat idea but they held back on releasing cool designs. Nothing nearly as cool as any of the limited edition XL models was ever released, and of course when they did release limited edition cover plates, you had to buy a whole new n3DS console to get them because they weren't sold separately. That completely ruins the point of having cover plates to begin with.
No, I am just showing him the covers 😀 they are not mine, you could buy just the cover and a new 3ds

Last edited by Doux91,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Personally I prefer the XL models, just because of their ability to click the screen out at a partial angle rather than just open/closed. For certain games it's really nice to be able to just sit it on my desk with the screen up. The replaceable faceplates on the non-XL are very pretty though.

I don't really mind the lower pixel density though, it's really not -that- pixelated, and if you hold it further away from your face you don't notice the difference all that much during gameplay anyway. Customized faceplates I wish they'd have kept around though.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both and I'd say get the new 3ds xl. Compared to the new 3ds, I've noticed that it's easier on the eyes when you spend a lot of play time looking at the screen. As you get older your eyes will thank you for it.

Svinorin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends. I have both, and have used both. I used to like the XL, but I've begun to like the size of the regular more, especially since the top screen doesn't wobble on that version. Though that could just be my N3DS XL that does it. The display is also nice in that it doesn't look over enlarged or out of proportion.

If you've got a DS lite and your hands cramp or you have discomfort while using it, I'd say go for the XL. If not, I would say the non XL.

Two other reasons worth note; it's a bigger hassle to find non XL batteries and telescoping stylus etc than it is for the XL. The faceplates for the non XL are a nice feature to personalize it, and there were (not sure if they're still active) folks on etsy creating custom printed faceplates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol