Misc new 3DS refuses to update

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So...I'm posting this from my 3ds. All of a sudden it decided to update after I changed MTU value to 1500 in the connection settings... I dont even know what it did but figured I had nothing to lose by messing around a bit more...

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
just what i'm experiencing sir.. the download bar would just fill up a little then it would stop and just says error and the 3ds will restart itself.. it won't even reach 50%.. will you let me know if you come up with a solution eventually just in case? thanks..

Did you get yours figured out yet?

LouAllet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just what i'm experiencing sir.. the download bar would just fill up a little then it would stop and just says error and the 3ds will restart itself.. it won't even reach 50%.. will you let me know if you come up with a solution eventually just in case? thanks..

not yet i'm afraid.. this time it fills up until 40% at most then the same thing happens, it stops and restarts itself.. i tried what you did from your previous post changing the MTU value to 1500 as mine is set originally to 1400 before.. but to no avail.. glad to know you got your 3ds updated though.. :)

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I had this exact same problem. i had the dmz and everything set up as well. And i am pretty sure i have the solution for this as it worked on the first try for me and a lot other people.
Here is the link. all you need to do is change the dns

How to fix:
Manually assign a DNS to the Nintendo 3DS or disable the firewall if necessary.

• From the Nintendo 3DS settings, select "Internet Settings," then "Connection Settings" and choose the connection file you currently use.
    • Choose "Change Settings."
    • Click the right arrow and select "DNS," then choose "No" under "Auto-Obtain DNS."
    • Select "Detailed Setup," then "Primary DNS" and enter: 008.008.008.008
    • Select "Secondary DNS" and enter: 008.008.004.004

Please note: These are public DNS's provided by Google and are subject to Google's Terms of Service. If you prefer to not use this service, doing an Internet search for "public DNS" will provide you with several other options you can use.

Link:http://www.nintendo....ts_internet.jsp

I was having the exact same problem as you guys are. The bar went till a certain point and then it gave me an error. The method shown above worked for me and i really hope it solves all of the problems you guys are facing :yay:

LouAllet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had this exact same problem. i had the dmz and everything set up as well. And i am pretty sure i have the solution for this as it worked on the first try for me and a lot other people.
Here is the link. all you need to do is change the dns

How to fix:
Manually assign a DNS to the Nintendo 3DS or disable the firewall if necessary.
  • [/p]
    • From the Nintendo 3DS settings, select "Internet Settings," then "Connection Settings" and choose the connection file you currently use.
    • Choose "Change Settings."
    • Click the right arrow and select "DNS," then choose "No" under "Auto-Obtain DNS."
    • Select "Detailed Setup," then "Primary DNS" and enter: 008.008.008.008
    • Select "Secondary DNS" and enter: 008.008.004.004 [/p]

Please note: These are public DNS's provided by Google and are subject to Google's Terms of Service. If you prefer to not use this service, doing an Internet search for "public DNS" will provide you with several other options you can use.

Link:http://www.nintendo....ts_internet.jsp

I was having the exact same problem as you guys are. The bar went till a certain point and then it gave me an error. The method shown above worked for me and i really hope it solves all of the problems you guys are facing :yay:

thanks! but can you tell me more about DMZ? i haven't tinkered with that yet.. i already set up the DNS manually in the connection settings of my 3ds before but still the problem is not solved..

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

not yet i'm afraid.. this time it fills up until 40% at most then the same thing happens, it stops and restarts itself.. i tried what you did from your previous post changing the MTU value to 1500 as mine is set originally to 1400 before.. but to no avail.. glad to know you got your 3ds updated though.. :)

Better than 1% eh? Is your signal strength good?

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They didn't help me at all but here is what a Nintendo rep emailed me with:
"Check the firewall settings on your router. It is possible that your router's firewall may be preventing your 3DS from getting online. You may need to disable it to resolve your connection issue. If you are comfortable doing so, disable the firewall and test the connection. If you have any questions on how disabling your firewall may affect your network, we recommend contacting your router manufacturer for more information.

*Power cycle your router. This can be done by unplugging the power cable from the router for one minute, then plugging it back in. Once the router restarts, attempt to download the update once more.
· Setup a manual connection. Directions can be found at the following website under "Help with Wireless Routers:"
http://www.nintendo....ts_internet.jsp

*Adjust the Port Forwarding settings on your router. Each router is unique, so consult your owner's manual or contact the manufacturer for specific information on adjusting your router's ports. Your 3DS will need a static IP address before Port Forwarding will work. To do this, set up a manual connection on the 3DS.

- If you are prompted to enter a profile name when setting up Port Forwarding, you can enter anything you like (such as 3DS).

- The starting port to open is 1, the ending port to open is 65535 (or as high as the router will allow, sometimes 65534).

- Protocols will need to be set to UDP only.

- Set the IP address for the ports to forward to the same static IP address as the 3DS.

*Place the IP address of the 3DS in the DMZ of the router. Please consult your router's user manual for more information on where to locate this setting.

*Verify your router is using the latest firmware. You can check your router manufacturer’s website to download any updates for your router.
If the troubleshooting steps above do not resolve your situation or you would like assistance with these steps, we will need to work with you directly. You can use our chat support feature located here:
http://support.ninte...m/chat/?s=email
Or you can give us a call at 1-800-255-3700. Our representatives are available between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week.
Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Sonja Browning"
In the end I didn't have to do any of that, although I think my 3DS is still on my router's DMZ list...

LouAllet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Better than 1% eh? Is your signal strength good?

yeah i got no problems when it comes to signals.. i even tried placing my 3ds beside my router just to rule out signal problems.. also this time the download bar came up to a whopping 60% then it stops.. it seems that everytime i repeat the process it goes higher but not all the time.. but then again the download still stops and restarts everytime..

LouAllet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so far i have tried the following:

1. power cycling my router
2. manually assigning IP and DNS to the connection settings of my 3DS
3. double checked the signal strength and ensured that there are no interference whatsoever
4. disabling the firewall of my router
5. listed the IP of my 3DS at the DMZ settings of my router
6. connection tests are always ok each time i try it
7. setting the MTU value from 1400 to 1500
8. my router updated to its latest firmware

...and still nothing works out for me :(

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
well, setting up dmz is different for each router, which company's router/modem do you have?
and you dont really need dmz for just updating. Its helpful when playing mario kart 7 and thats about it.

If you tried replacing your dns with

Primary dns= 008.008.008.008
secondary dns=008.008.004.004

and it still isnt working then you should contact nintendo via email imo.

LouAllet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well, setting up dmz is different for each router, which company's router/modem do you have?
and you dont really need dmz for just updating. Its helpful when playing mario kart 7 and thats about it.

If you tried replacing your dns with

Primary dns= 008.008.008.008
secondary dns=008.008.004.004

and it still isnt working then you should contact nintendo via email imo.

oh so that is what the DMZ is for.. well what i did is i just typed the ip address of my 3ds to the DMZ settings of my router but then again nothing happens.. and yes those are the exact DNS numbers that i manually set up on my 3ds.. also my router is a linksys..

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Nintendo and all of their guides say that router firewalls interfere with updating which is why I tried adding mine to DMZ, since I have no way of disabling my router's firewall. So they think it does something...

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo and all of their guides say that router firewalls interfere with updating which is why I tried adding mine to DMZ, since I have no way of disabling my router's firewall. So they think it does something...
i went through the same thing when i got mine what me and my bro did was keep on trying to update by around 7 or so we were able to update and when i updated again i did it in the early morning around 6:00-6:30am so in a nutshell try updating late at night or in the early mornings because that when there is less traffic in Nintendo's servers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU